Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Would you like to see a Droid class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Would you like to see a Droid class?

Kigam
05.04.2012 , 03:58 AM | #71
Considering armoring and weaponry for the possible "Droid" Class/Race, would it not be awesome if each and every piece of droid gear had a custom appearance? Like one Motor might give your character 4 Legs, one might give him wheels instead of feet, weaponry might either take the shape of actual weapons or in some cases arm-mounted turrets and vibroswords. I mean what's cooler? A C2-N2 holding a vibrosword or a C2N2 having a vibrosword for an arm?

Then we come to appearances that you pick at the beginning of the game, the most basic customizations for other races seems to be Body Type, Head, Scars, Complexion, Eye Color, Hair and Hair Color. We can skip Hair and Hair Color, after all it is a droid.
Eye Color could be basic colors like Red, Yellow and Blue. Perhaps also add such colors as Green, Purple and Orange.
Body Types goes from 1-4, for a droid it could simply be an increase in scale, or perhaps an increase in hull armor.
Heads can come in many shapes, and constructs. Some might have mouth and nose, some might just be a standard droid face.
Scars is where the Droids would be awesome, so to say battle damage. Bullet holes, scratches, burns or carvings, after all “we” are made from metal.
Complexion could range from different types of dirt, just need to know where to draw a line from Scars.
Then we come to a “special” appearance tab. I'd like to have two myself. Addons and Markings.
Addons could be such things as antennas, extra gadgets or trinkets etc.
Marks would be like tattoos, Republic might get something like Havoc Squad markings or Bounty Hunter Paint.

Kigam
05.04.2012 , 04:04 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by ZackAlklazaris View Post

Essentially your storyline is to build your reputation and break your programing. You could meet other droids both pathetic slave master droids or ones similar to yourself.
I'd like to see something similar, or perhaps something more along the lines of finding upgrades for yourself. Some story-line quests could take the shape of you uploading yourself on the holonet (this could happen on let's say Nar'Shadda) finding the most resent of Software or information that you can use. The later part of such a quest could make you enter something like the Spirit World on Voss only that instead of Nightmares and Corruption you fight Firewalls and Viruses.

siegeshot
05.06.2012 , 09:58 AM | #73
Oooh yeah that'd be really fun. Doing REAL slicing, updating your firmware, maybe getting viruses out of yourself and other systems. OoOo.
Guild: Cute Pink Banthas / Gravity Kills
Youtube.com/swtorPaladin
Begeren Colony. RP-PVE.
Original beta group: Squadron 367

Bobomb-nik
05.09.2012 , 02:44 PM | #74
Yes. Droid race, or class. Either one. Or both, preferably.

Droid race, with a new class that suits it.

Jedikillar
08.17.2012 , 08:39 PM | #75
id love it, but how would you do the convo options? a droid follows programming. hk-47 was programmed as an assassin droid, so he was basically...well pretty much evil. other are more light, and they can develop personality quirks but they would still follow their programming...id like to see it but it would be rather difficult to do.
There is no emotion, there is peace; Through peace, I gain strength; Through strength, I gain knowledge; Through knowledge, i gain power; Through power, I gain serenity; Through serenity, I gain victory; Through victory, I gain harmony; Through harmony, I find there are no chains, there is the force
Cry Havoc, and let loose the dogs of war!

Jedikillar
08.17.2012 , 08:45 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Venan View Post
Crypto Garn is an old engineer. He lives on an old asteroid complex deep in the Unknown Regions, a secluded place where he finds peace and solitude. Garn escaped the Republic when he realized that certain policies and experiments he intended to perform were going to be made public.

Garn is a droid aficionado. He fixes them, modifies them, even builds them. The asteroid complex is swarming with droids, all with different roles. Protocol droids, probe droids, engineering droids, astromechs. They work to keep the complex running and give Garn some company.

Garn, since his exile, has been working on a new kind of droid, something he called the Synthetic Sentience Analog or SSA. Exactly what makes these droids so special is unknown, but it appears to be the reason for his exile. You are activated at the beginning of the game and given the model designation of SSA-09, or just Zero-Nine for short.

From the get-go you are confused. You're not sure what's going on, and your thoughts are cloudy. Garn, excited, treats you kindly and almost like a child. You are given your own quarters and sent forth to interact with the other droids. This is where most of your quests for the first 5 or 6 levels would come from; helping other droids with a certain air of innocence with things around the complex. Some of them like you, some of them don't much care for you ("Oh, look, it's the Creator's favorite datapad."), some of them are more autonomous and have no opinion of you. And then some droids are actually not under Garn's control, and so you have to fight them as you would any other enemies for the other classes. There is also the threat of mynocks and other space-traveling denizens to contend with. Maybe one quest has you use magnetic feet to travel up the side and top of the outside of the complex to kill mynocks trying to eat through the hull. You also befriend your first companion, a probe droid healer.

All of this is compounded with a few choice conversations with Garn, who spends a lot of time proclaiming how RIGHT he was and that you, the droid, are SO beautiful simply because you EXIST.

Around lvl 5 or 6 you start finding some weird things. Notes left over in old data terminals, bits and pieces of the outside world; maybe you successfully turn on the Holonet one day. You find out that, recently, a small freighter housing a family of nomads/workers had gone missing in the Unknown Regions. Soon you find a room with a few dead bodies in it, one of which is a teenager with the tag "#09" on him/her.

Eventually you approach Garn and confront him, and the truth is made horrifyingly clear. The SSA Program was meant to remove the weaknesses of biological life by implanting the minds of people into droid bodies. Originally the idea was for people who were dieing or otherwise needed to continue to live, but Garn's superiors deemed it inhuman and tried to shut him down. He fled to continue his work, capturing the crew of any ship that happened to wander through the area to experiment on. You are the only success he had, the only time when the mind was successfully transferred without the person/droid going insane or losing its free will. He is clearly beginning to lose his faculties, and decides that you have to be destroyed for being so smart (after all, he knows the process works now that you exist; he doesn't need you anymore). He flees the room as you fight the other SSA droids he summoned.

After destroying them all you rush to reach Garn, who in his crazed state set a self-destruct sequence for the entire complex, figuring if nothing else he can destroy you along with himself. You now get a Light Side option and two Dark Side options.

Light Side: Grab Garn and drag him to an escape pod/emergency shuttle and escape the facility with him. (150 pts)
Dark Side: Flee the facility and allow Garn to die in the explosion (only 50 pts)
Dark Side: Kill Garn before fleeing the facility (150 pts)

You now have a choice; travel to Coruscant or Dromund Kas, which will decide whether you join the Empire or the Republic. If you choose the Republic you are treated with pity by most of the populace, and if you saved Garn he is arrested. If you choose the Empire you are seen as a monster by most, though you will have your uses, and if you saved Garn he is put to work in a lab by a Sith Lord.

From here you help to fight against the opposing faction, but all the while deal with knowing what you are. Perhaps you start getting intermittent flashes of your old life which, in turn, give you quest points (like "Omg, I just remembered that time we saw a bunch of Sith heading for (insert random planet here) with a giant doom weapon.")
hmm...something like that could work extremely well. on dromund kaas theres a quest where something similar happens to a squad of sith troopers, so its obviously plausible in the star wars universe. hell yeah i like this idea. it sounds better and more like my favorite story/class every second i think about it!
There is no emotion, there is peace; Through peace, I gain strength; Through strength, I gain knowledge; Through knowledge, i gain power; Through power, I gain serenity; Through serenity, I gain victory; Through victory, I gain harmony; Through harmony, I find there are no chains, there is the force
Cry Havoc, and let loose the dogs of war!

Reseres
08.18.2012 , 07:20 AM | #77
How about this? You have two Droid classes, but the Droid classes have different Droid "Races" in it. So, for an example, you have an HK race that you can modify, IG Droids, you know. Maybe 5 Droid races? The first droid class could wield Vibroswords and Vibroknives, and shield generators, with maybe a few long range attacks, and the second one can wield blaster pistols and rifles. The first one would be DPS/Tank, the second DPS/heal. I don't really know... What do you guys think? Sorry if this has been mentioned before, and I'm just repeating stuff.
"Hey, Credits are Credits. I'm not picky."

WaldoA
08.18.2012 , 07:43 AM | #78
Sounds good, though it'd be like the sorcerer pandemic all over again where everyone goes the same class :L

siegeshot
12.28.2012 , 01:56 AM | #79
This topic's come back up so I'm supporting the original thread.
Guild: Cute Pink Banthas / Gravity Kills
Youtube.com/swtorPaladin
Begeren Colony. RP-PVE.
Original beta group: Squadron 367

Cleet_Xia
12.28.2012 , 02:10 AM | #80
Adding my support to this old thread, and linking in a newer one I started where myself and a few other people posted about some of the possible solutions to problems that would affect a droid class.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=561462
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~