Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Would you like to see a Droid class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Would you like to see a Droid class?

Caelrie's Avatar


Caelrie
01.08.2012 , 02:18 PM | #21
I can't see how it would work with the existing side quests, since droids don't have any civil rights and an unclaimed droid can be taken by anyone, much like a slave.

Thus, I can't see either side trusting you with the kind of stuff the story does.

VioletZero's Avatar


VioletZero
01.08.2012 , 02:55 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Caelrie View Post
I can't see how it would work with the existing side quests, since droids don't have any civil rights and an unclaimed droid can be taken by anyone, much like a slave.

Thus, I can't see either side trusting you with the kind of stuff the story does.
The same way that a droid can become a gang boss or a renowned bounty hunter(Both of which are in TOR).

Certain droids become reputable and well known for their exploits.
I'm a thinker. I could break it down. I'm a shooter. A drastic baby.

seven_deadlies's Avatar


seven_deadlies
01.08.2012 , 03:12 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
The same way that a droid can become a gang boss or a renowned bounty hunter(Both of which are in TOR).

Certain droids become reputable and well known for their exploits.
To be honest, IG-88 won't be around for 3000 years, as far as our characters are concerned.

The Old Republic era, there was obviously a lot of acceptable slavery going on. My Inquisitor was a Force sensitive slave who passed the trials. My Warrior was "given" a slave just before setting off from Korriban.

So the rights of droids is a fair point.

A Jedi walks up and says "I'm here representing the Republic, and you need to..." and people listen.

An Imperial Agent does the same, and also gets respect.

A droid walks up demanding changes in your village's policies, and they're going to say "Did this microwave oven just tell me what to do?"

Still, it would be an interesting concept. Maybe they'll get around to it someday. =)

VioletZero's Avatar


VioletZero
01.08.2012 , 03:17 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by seven_deadlies View Post
To be honest, IG-88 won't be around for 3000 years, as far as our characters are concerned.

The Old Republic era, there was obviously a lot of acceptable slavery going on. My Inquisitor was a Force sensitive slave who passed the trials. My Warrior was "given" a slave just before setting off from Korriban.

So the rights of droids is a fair point.

A Jedi walks up and says "I'm here representing the Republic, and you need to..." and people listen.

An Imperial Agent does the same, and also gets respect.

A droid walks up demanding changes in your village's policies, and they're going to say "Did this microwave oven just tell me what to do?"

Still, it would be an interesting concept. Maybe they'll get around to it someday. =)
If it was a droid who is the main character of a class story, I think they'd be more like "Holy crap! It's that one droid! We've heard a lot about you."
I'm a thinker. I could break it down. I'm a shooter. A drastic baby.

seven_deadlies's Avatar


seven_deadlies
01.08.2012 , 03:22 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
If it was a droid who is the main character of a class story, I think they'd be more like "Holy crap! It's that one droid! We've heard a lot about you."

*Ion gun fires*

"Now to affix this restraining bolt, and see what you're going for on eBay..."
Yeah, something like that

lol

Caddax's Avatar


Caddax
01.08.2012 , 03:31 PM | #26
For those of us on the Imperial side that have quested on Dromand Kaas we have seen how this can work. You know the storyline about those soldiers that were caught by Lord Grathan? You know that guy that invented a self repairing metal? There you go right there and it even includes a storyline for the droids. *note that I didn't include spoilers*

I'm all for playing a droid. It could be cool if it unlocked as part of the Legacy system. Depending on what you did in the above storyline (alts included) depends if it unlocks for you. Then have it interchangeable in that what role you want to play (tank, dps, healer) depends on how you outfit it along with a droid skill tree.
Everyone expects the Sith Inquisition.

VioletZero's Avatar


VioletZero
01.08.2012 , 03:37 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by seven_deadlies View Post
Yeah, something like that

lol
What's stopping people who do that from killing people and selling their organs on the black market?
I'm a thinker. I could break it down. I'm a shooter. A drastic baby.

seven_deadlies's Avatar


seven_deadlies
01.08.2012 , 03:44 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
What's stopping people who do that from killing people and selling their organs on the black market?
Actually, there's a gang on Coruscant known for doing just that.

But the people known for scooping up droids and selling them are more well known...

We call them Jawas =)

VioletZero's Avatar


VioletZero
01.08.2012 , 04:07 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by seven_deadlies View Post
Actually, there's a gang on Coruscant known for doing just that.

But the people known for scooping up droids and selling them are more well known...

We call them Jawas =)
They wouldn't do that in plain sight of a droid's perceived owner though.(In this case, it could be their companion. Which, even if the companion is dismissed, in canon it would be that their companion is present with them.)

I had a whole plotline outlined of how their tutorial zone would work. It could be like the Pandaren in WoW where you start neutral but can choose an allegiance afterwards.

You could either join the Imperial Military or the Republic SIS. Of which, NOBODY would want to step on their toes except their opposing governments and maybe the gangs.

And of course, in true Bioware writing fashion, you'd have the option to kill the person who created you.
I'm a thinker. I could break it down. I'm a shooter. A drastic baby.

siegeshot's Avatar


siegeshot
01.08.2012 , 05:14 PM | #30
I like this idea. I was talking abt it somewhere around here. Glad it got its own thread. Great discussion so far.

The only thing I have to add unfortunately or fortunatly is the ability of one of your companions to be a tiny slicer droid that fits in a hidden panel somewhere on you. It either comes with you or stays on the ship. Like Flirt or Blue Max.
Guild: Cute Pink Banthas / Gravity Kills
Youtube.com/swtorPaladin
Begeren Colony. RP-PVE.
Original beta group: Squadron 367