Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Commando and Powertech, or Mercenary and Vangard?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Commando and Powertech, or Mercenary and Vangard?

Barrera
11.22.2012 , 01:52 PM | #31
I have a vanguard AND a powertech ... i didnt even consider playing a commando or mercenary i feel that Trooper and BH are kinda tanky classes .

grallmate
11.22.2012 , 04:36 PM | #32
I'd say PT and Commando if you plan on healing on either toon. I just can't stand the sound of the Merc basic heal, makes me want to break things. In terms of animations, I agree with one of the other posters: Vanguard feels much more fluid than PT but I think PT just looks that much cooler.

If you plan to DPS on both I'd go Vanguard and Merc. Both Commando and Merc DPS feel like its just more of the same thing, but at least Merc has some noticeable difference in animations.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Altheran
11.22.2012 , 04:42 PM | #33
For me it's Commando and Powertech.
Commando because I believe that what's make a Trooper is its weapon, Powertech because I believe that what's make a Bounty Hunter is its armor with lots of gadgets in it.

PS : I play like you, 8 characters, 8 classes, 8 advanced classes (no mirror)

NoTomorrow
11.26.2012 , 06:28 AM | #34
Don't go Vanguard + Merc!!!! Vanguard has some of the most horrible animations in the game. Ion pulse sucks. Ion Cannon sucks. This class just stinks.
Go Commando + Powertech. It's the only way to have fun.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

MitchPB
11.26.2012 , 06:41 AM | #35
After reading all of this

Am I the ONLY one that did a Merc and a Commando?
<BOG>
<The Ex-Dalborran Elitists>

yoomazir
11.27.2012 , 06:40 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by MitchPB View Post
After reading all of this

Am I the ONLY one that did a Merc and a Commando?
No, but I soon deleted my commando for a vanguard.

Shlumper
11.27.2012 , 03:15 PM | #37
1. Commando & merc animations are boring no matter what, but mortar volley only looks good with a cannon (plus 1 for commando)
2. Finding matching pistols that you like can be nearly impossible (minus 1 for merc)
3. Electricity coming out of the end of a blaster rifle looks silly (minus 1 for vanguard)
4. Flames, hidden blades, and rocket & hydraulics assisted punches makes for a much more convincing melee class than grenades set off in your own face, butt-striking, & random electricity coming out of an otherwise ordinary rifle (plus three for PT, minus 3 for vanguard)

Totals:
Merc/Vanguard -5
PT/commando +4

PT/commando combo kicks merc/vanguard's ***

hunterraaze
11.27.2012 , 09:31 PM | #38
This is my personal opinion. I chose the merc and vanguard route, and am regreting it. Here is why.

Merc/Commando. Their dps tree, is spent standing in one place place, casting. This in my opinion makes more sense as a commando. Because, you have that giant assault canon, wich naturaly, would weigh you down. Jango/Boba, were very mobile. And the merc, is wielding two pistols. Also, most of your abilitys as a merc, (the ones used in this tree) are cast from the wrist. The commando, shoots all from the assault canon. So I think commando should be the route you choose.

Powertech/Vanguard. This class, is spent up close and personal. The vanguard is wielding a large assault rifle, and a powertech uses a little pistol. Doesn't it make a little sense to go toe to toe with someone with a small pistol, using one arm, for more mobility, vs the vanguards large clunky assault rifle? And is you go tanking, launching yourself at a target using a jetpack looks alot cooler then the vanguards sprint up to someone.

This is my opinion. Good luck on the choices. And, very sorry for the terrible spelling.
"Well, if people would make it more about me, I wouldn't have to"
~Iryllia

NoTomorrow
11.28.2012 , 02:53 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by hunterraaze View Post
This is my personal opinion. I chose the merc and vanguard route, and am regreting it. Here is why.

Merc/Commando. Their dps tree, is spent standing in one place place, casting. This in my opinion makes more sense as a commando. Because, you have that giant assault canon, wich naturaly, would weigh you down. Jango/Boba, were very mobile. And the merc, is wielding two pistols. Also, most of your abilitys as a merc, (the ones used in this tree) are cast from the wrist. The commando, shoots all from the assault canon. So I think commando should be the route you choose.

Powertech/Vanguard. This class, is spent up close and personal. The vanguard is wielding a large assault rifle, and a powertech uses a little pistol. Doesn't it make a little sense to go toe to toe with someone with a small pistol, using one arm, for more mobility, vs the vanguards large clunky assault rifle? And is you go tanking, launching yourself at a target using a jetpack looks alot cooler then the vanguards sprint up to someone.

This is my opinion. Good luck on the choices. And, very sorry for the terrible spelling.
hehe, you nailed it perfectly man, i started with vanguard then dropped it for a PT + Commando. It's the only way to play Trooper/BH in this game. The mirrors are terrible. Vanguard has hands down the worst class animations in the game.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Flintfire
12.01.2012 , 07:35 AM | #40
Though as a mercenary noobs try and attack you in PvP after all the bad press they hear about us being easy to kill and we wipe the floor with them. All those stories about mercenaries being killed by ppl much lower than them is bs. A good player under ur level, sure, but sometimes all the bad press mercs get can be used to their advantage in suprising ways...
Anyway, pick what you want. Im dont play as one, but I know powertechs are good for striking a blow to ppl who think they are invincible with a lightsaber.
Infyrno Lvl 55 Infyrnus Lvl 54
Leiptr Lvl 55 Venaticus Lvl 44
Krrayt Lvl 55 Evisceran Lvl 55
Sleipe Lvl 55