Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bounty Hunters and the Empire

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Bounty Hunters and the Empire

Shornaal
12.14.2011 , 04:10 AM | #1
Hi everyone.
I'm not in early access yet but I had the time to level a BH on the two last testing week-ends ; and one thing I didn't get is why you stick with the Empire that much. I mean, except that the little hunting booth is set on Dromund Kaas (why, by the way?).
Every other class' allegiance is pretty self-explanatory, but this one left me wondering.
(I know it's for gameplay purposes, but I'm wondering about the story-wise explanation.)

Piece of info here, I think I didn't get past level 12 or 13 (had to level one of each class!), so if an explanation shows up after that (which is later than every other class, but better late than none), please just tell me "you'll know why a few levels after/around level X", as I'd like to learn from it myself.
Thanks in advance!

o(|ịịịịịịịị|}:::⊨{|(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Savriel
12.14.2011 , 04:50 AM | #2
This is one of the reasons I disliked playing BH.
I made it till lvl 24 powertech and he is still associates himself with the Empire a bit much.

COLOSAL
12.14.2011 , 04:55 AM | #3
I think its great to be a loner class... The dark and light side choices do give you some separation, but what would be the bomb, is if they let us perform hits for either side. Like a jedi puts a hit on another bh, and he has to pre-pay credits to a bank,, you pull off the hit first, you go get the credits...
True elites roll solo...

imatooltoo
12.14.2011 , 05:01 AM | #4
cuz the Empire gives them big money, and Bounty Hunters LOVE money. They love money more than there mothers. Bounty Hunters are worse then Mr. Krabs from Spongebob Squarepants. They would probably pick a fight with the Emperor with out a second thought over a penny that he stepped on.

BH: "THAT'S MY PENNY JERK, GET OFF OF IT!"

Emperor: "DO YOU DARE TALK TO ME LIKE THAT, SCUM HUNTER?!"

I can keep going on...
Spoiler

Shornaal
12.14.2011 , 05:02 AM | #5
To be honest I don't mind being tied to the Empire as a bounty hunter, if there's a rationale behind it (except "game designers needed to balance the classes for each side").
If you tell me "you'll see a reason later on", I'll be happy with that.
If somehow there isn't (which would be surprising from BioWare and their love of good story-telling), I might not play a BH after all.

Introspective
12.14.2011 , 05:13 AM | #6
It's because the Empire is a much better employer for bounty hunters than the Republic. To operate as an official bounty hunter in Republic space, you need a license. This license can be revoked and you can become an outlaw. This is actually part of Jew'la Nightbringer's story, if you care to look that up on the holonet here.

The Empire prizes ruthless efficiency, while the Republic generally frowns upon the idea of mercenary killers operating outside its regulations. Also, the Empire has a lot more open in-fighting than the Republic does. If you want reliable work from wealthy employers, the Empire is paradise for a hitman.

Canon-wise, Leia once tried to bribe Boba Fett to stop working for the Empire and join the Rebel cause. He turned her down, even though he knew she'd pay. He turned her down because the Empire provided him with steady work over a long period of time... guaranteed jobs.

Even though he felt no personal, ideological loyalty to the Empire, there was a beneficial professional relationship there. The much more peaceful light-siders would never make as much use of his skills as the dark-siders would. Gentle, merciful people do not hire the likes of Boba Fett regularly.

Shornaal
12.14.2011 , 05:22 AM | #7
As much as this does make sense in a broad and generic way, I was hoping the good story designers of BioWare would give a particular reason for the specific bounty hunter you play to be tied to the Empire, rather than rest themselves on "you know ... that's what we've seen in the movies".
Oh, well. Too bad, I guess.

Introspective
12.14.2011 , 05:23 AM | #8
Now, a person might argue that you could go totally independent, do your work just for the Hutts and various other criminal cartels... but even that's not -really- independent, as they have schemes and principles of their own. If you loyally serve a Hutt, he might shower you in wealth and slave girls, but he'll also look at you as a plaything for his amusement. If you work for one cartel, expect to be blacklisted by every other cartel because they're all at war with each other.

The biggest perk of working for the Empire is that they respect personal power. It's part of their philosophy. It's the only serious group in the galaxy where you can count on reliable work -and- still come and go as you please.

Introspective
12.14.2011 , 05:24 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Shornaal View Post
As much as this does make sense in a broad and generic way, I was hoping the good story designers of BioWare would give a particular reason for the specific bounty hunter you play to be tied to the Empire, rather than rest themselves on "you know ... that's what we've seen in the movies".
Oh, well. Too bad, I guess.
It's more than a movie thing, it's the way politics in the galaxy works. You'll see it in greater depth as you go through the levels and explore more of the class storyline.

Nightdragoon
12.14.2011 , 06:28 AM | #10
if you think about it, its that way IRL also

tho IRL the "assassins" are mainly tied down to individual groups while the "Independent" assassins work for whoever pays more.

THe Bounty Hunter is pretty much this kind of person. When you are with a group you are obligated to help that group, while with Independent worker, you don't have to take the job (in game context you dont have to do the quest)