Side mission question...help!

Ok, so I am in a unique situation. Both my girlfriend and I play the game, and the same class. We are roughly the same level, but I play more, and therefore am farther in the story. My question is this, can I just stick the the main story line quest and for go the extra missions and come back later and do them with my girlfriend, or if I go too far in the story will I miss the chance to do the missions?

I have been on another planet and still had side missions from a previous planet shown, and when i went back there were no problems when i went to complete them.

I was also watching a live stream of like a 1000 2000 whatever guys running around. anyway in the vid the guy streaming opened his mission log.... he had a HUGE list of side missions that were not done and all were listed, by planet. I do believe you can go back and finish missions at any point.

Now... getting new ones i dont know. my first planet stop i made was to another starter planet to get codex entries... when i was there i was not able to take any side missions at all. i know the missions are listed 1-10 for the planet.... now i dont know if that had anything to do with it being a starter planet... or lets say you are level 45 and try to go back to taris if it wont let you take them.

For me on this xp really isn't the issue. It's is more of grouping the her and playing with her. I want it to be enjoyable for us both, and I I don't do the side quests then me and her can do them and it will be new for us both. Plus it will help with social pts ect.