Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Im a little confused about lightsabers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Im a little confused about lightsabers

PeepsMcJuggs
01.08.2012 , 12:55 AM | #11
Wow. It actually took four replies for someone to realize the joke? This forum has reached a new low.
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

spencer_
01.08.2012 , 03:54 AM | #12
he could mean how do you wash blood off the hilt...

I tend to send the whole thing through a furnace, then retrieve it ten minutes later. I specifically designed my saber to be heat resistance so it would be easy to clean.

Foxfirega
01.08.2012 , 04:08 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by spencer_ View Post
he could mean how do you wash blood off the hilt...

I tend to send the whole thing through a furnace, then retrieve it ten minutes later. I specifically designed my saber to be heat resistance so it would be easy to clean.
I had to get a new one because the original wasn't dishwasher safe. :/

Man, the council didn't like the explanation I had for what happened to The First Blade...
'Your name is in the mouth of others - be sure it has teeth.' - Maxim 16, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

Briahlen
01.08.2012 , 10:00 AM | #14
If it was just a beam of light you could not get such a fine "tip of the blade" if you will. I think of lightsabers as something of a sanding belt made of "something" semi solid.

Cromagnum
01.08.2012 , 10:17 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by WebMajestic View Post
That's what I thought also, but in game mechanics, cut scene animation, and promotional video suggest otherwise... Apparently there is a physical saber under the beam of energy?

- Sith Warriors have an attack where you simply swing your saber harder to do more damage. If it is only a beam of energy, it should do the same damage no matter how hard you swing it.

- Cut scenes and video clearly show "character A" stabbing "character B" with a light saber, then physically pulling it out of the dead victim; if it was only beam of pure energy, would this be required?

Of course I am tongue-in-cheek about this, light sabers are supposed to be pure energy... but I have noticed the flaws in cut scenes and videos that seem to depict light sabers as having physical elements. Of course those scenes of light sabers being pulled out of the body of a victim were done purely for dramatic effect, but for any Star Wars purist or anyone who notices logic and consistency, those scenes are problematic.
Ok this is what a lightsaber is. It is plasma being held in the shape of a sword by a stasis field. However the stasis field heats up and becomes super hot. It is still a "physical" object so when pulled out of people it does cause the "dramatic" effect.
In My World Youíre A Friend Or Foe And Its Killed Or Be Killed

RobHouse
01.08.2012 , 10:28 AM | #16
Quote:
Sith Warriors have an attack where you simply swing your saber harder to do more damage. If it is only a beam of energy, it should do the same damage no matter how hard you swing it.

this is so true, it almost made my head explode

bfishback
01.08.2012 , 11:35 AM | #17
Lightsabers really make no physical sense. Using science we know in this world, it is impossible to even understand how they work.