Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Comparing the raids to WoW, are operations difficult?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Comparing the raids to WoW, are operations difficult?

TheErebUs
01.07.2012 , 06:57 PM | #1
That's pretty much all I want to know. I've heard that people are completing the hardmode operations pretty quickly. Is it easy to die in a raid? Are the boss mechanics hard to get down?
"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things, right now: Jack and ****... and Jack left town. "
-Bruce Campbell

MARSHMALLOWS!

Honeyduck
01.07.2012 , 11:10 PM | #2
Of the 6 bosses out currently 4 are near free loot on hard mode provided people have been doing the work to gear themselves through hard operations. The other two are easily as difficult as what youd expect from a wow heroic encounter.

Bought_by_Blood
01.07.2012 , 11:20 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Honeyduck View Post
Of the 6 bosses out currently 4 are near free loot on hard mode provided people have been doing the work to gear themselves through hard operations. The other two are easily as difficult as what youd expect from a wow NORMAL encounter.
Edited for truth, well not quite i would say HM Soa would be on par with entry level WoW heroics. for sure no where near the harder ones as far as mechanics go.
You are a warrior. I am a killer. Unleash me on your enemies; but see my example, so that you never become like me. To walk anothers path is to walk a false path.
Nephilhim

XisscVekno
01.07.2012 , 11:30 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Bought_by_Blood View Post
Edited for truth, well not quite i would say HM Soa would be on par with entry level WoW heroics. for sure no where near the harder ones as far as mechanics go.
Have to remember we have no addons as of yet, and WoW designs all their fights around the assumption that everyone runs certain addons.
Not all things in life are free,
and freedom has the highest cost of them all.
Remember those who gave, so you could enjoy what others do not.

psysention
01.07.2012 , 11:36 PM | #5
hard mode operations easy if you know what to do...

hard mode soa is somewhat hard because of RNG mechanics

but ragnaros was easier on wow vanilla

BeBenNova
01.07.2012 , 11:58 PM | #6
Normal Mode EV = Loot pinata

Hard Mode EV = Normal WoW raid

Nightmare mode EV = Heroic WoW raid

Is probably the closest comparison

Let's hope they get the tuning right in tier 2

Exertim
01.08.2012 , 12:29 AM | #7
Not really fair to judge it right now since the difficulty is completely skewered when it comes to SWTOR's Operations due to how buggy nearly every single fight is.

GalacticKegger
01.08.2012 , 01:42 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by XisscVekno View Post
Have to remember we have no addons as of yet, and WoW designs all their fights around the assumption that everyone runs certain addons.
Once combat glitches are addressed, here's hoping boss encounter difficulty evolves without having to rely on addons for their mechanics.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

tXHereticXt
01.08.2012 , 01:57 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
Once combat glitches are addressed, here's hoping boss encounter difficulty evolves without having to rely on addons for their mechanics.
Seems to be the direction they're heading in but we can only hope.

Bought_by_Blood
01.08.2012 , 01:12 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by XisscVekno View Post
I would disagree with that, WoW uses the same visual and audio clues that SWTOR does. addons get used by everyone but they are primarily designed for people who cannot adjust to those visual clues. In progression raiding most of your "crutch" addons like DBM are useless because of changes that have occurred since the PTR, timers will be off, it won't pick up on certain abilities.

The people that are relying on addons to defeat encounters are the same people who have already watched a strategy video before they even go into a fight.

WoW designs difficult fights because bleeding edge progression raiders enjoy the difficulty, Yes they have addon's running because they can but if you think they are relying on them I would disagree.

They know their characters inside and out, they can run through their rotations for all situations without watching the timers. They know the fight inside and out because they have done 50+ attempts, they know what abilities are coming, and when they are coming just from sheer muscle memory.
You are a warrior. I am a killer. Unleash me on your enemies; but see my example, so that you never become like me. To walk anothers path is to walk a false path.
Nephilhim