Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

cpu and memory

Phraccy
12.14.2011 , 03:55 AM | #1
Quick question....after about 8 hours of play my envirnmental sound effects suddenly stopped working in game and I noticed high memory usage.

Could this be the memory leak people had speculated about in beta?

Plus, as I have a i7 990x which technically has 12 cores, does SWTOR have problems with that much cores and should I limit SWTOR to 1 core?

Thanks for any help!

skjutengris
12.14.2011 , 03:57 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Phraccy View Post
Quick question....after about 8 hours of play my envirnmental sound effects suddenly stopped working in game and I noticed high memory usage.

Could this be the memory leak people had speculated about in beta?

Plus, as I have a i7 990x which technically has 12 cores, does SWTOR have problems with that much cores and should I limit SWTOR to 1 core?

Thanks for any help!
mem leak possible yes.
dont think swtor have issues with many cores.

use more ram and report where mem leak happens.
If you didnt play Everquest before year 2000 you dont know what a MMO is about.

Phraccy
12.14.2011 , 04:03 AM | #3
thanks, but already got 12 GB Ram and after approx 8h play time 50% was used ... problems started in Dromund Kaas at the Crew Skill trainers

Isoxx
12.14.2011 , 04:05 AM | #4
If its a memory leak it doesnt matter if its on 1 cores or many, it will still leak.

I would suggest the following. Download Debug Diag v1.2 from
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=26798

When cpu usage or memory usage before very high, open debug diag, goto the processes tab, find the offending process, right click and select "Full User Dump" File size will be large but should only take a few seconds.

The .dmp file will be generated by default in something like C:\Program Files\DebugDiag\Logs\Misc.

Put Debug Diag into analyze mode, load in the dump file and let it auto analyze. If its a common reason this should pick it up, if not, someone with debug analysis skills will probably need to look through the dump manually.

I can do it if needed but dont have much time currently.

Isoxx
12.14.2011 , 04:10 AM | #5
Also, just to follow up, it doesnt matter how much RAM you have.

If you have 12 GB Ram, i'll go ahead and assume that you are running a 64 bit OS, however if SWTOR executable is running as a 32 bit process (I have no idea if it does or not)then you have a 2 GB memory limits PER process, and actually OOM crash will occur as soon as it requests any size larger than the contiguous free space available. EG 1.5 GB being used, request for .5GB further = crash.

Source:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx
Memory and Address Space Limits Section (64 bit OS running 32 bit process)

Herethos
12.14.2011 , 04:15 AM | #6
Could be a issues with some drivers, other than confirm that there is a resource leak, there probably isn't much you can do other than restart the client when it starts to happen, and hope it eventually get patched, unless it is a driver on your side which you maybe could do something about it like updating/change drivers.