Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

Lord_Ravenhurst
04.10.2012 , 07:07 AM | #521
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
I have to admit that a single RvR basin like Planetside 2 (or even just PS1), but with SW themes and SWTOR classes would be amazing.

that looks incredibe.. absolutely incredible... top notch 2012 MMOFPS IŽd say

metalgearyoda
04.10.2012 , 10:39 AM | #522
I would really like an update as to how the dev team feels about space since 75% of people polled wanted more space stuff.
Ganking leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to pvp.
The Swtor forum attracts trolls because the forums are more fun than raiding dragon soul.
Complaining is the new meta game.

Goretzu
04.10.2012 , 11:08 AM | #523
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post

that looks incredibe.. absolutely incredible... top notch 2012 MMOFPS IŽd say
The orginal was great, they just priced it out with a full MMORPG sub, rather than some sort of MMOFPS price tag (and a terrible expansion tbf).

But stuff like this could be in this generation of MMORPGs, PS1 was 2003, and a generic Sci-fi/Science Fanstasy based MMORPG would be great, a Star War one would be amazing.

It also does tie in with space flight in so much as with SWG the atmospheric flight and space flight can be made possible (not everywhere though most likely).
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

WethriN-
04.11.2012 , 07:02 PM | #524
great article and imho a proper full space sim experience is the first thing that should be added before anything else..

SweetZoid
04.12.2012 , 04:51 AM | #525
These are my ideas

- Free flying in open space.

- GvG/PvP battles. In GvG battles you use your Guild Ship and in PvP you use your own ship.

GvG battles: 1 player is steering while the rest can use cannons, repair broken things to make the ship stay up as long as possible, deploy smaller ships, enter the enemies Guild ship and fight them with your class abillities, set bombs at their ship and more.

PvP battles: 5vs5, 10vs10 battles with your personal ship you got through class quests. Different PvP modes, one will include destroy all enemy ships. Another mode will include bigger ships and objectives to destroy their turrets etc.

HarrisonJacob
04.12.2012 , 05:26 AM | #526
Did not wanna copy paste all this, but here are some additional ideas.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=401772

Lord_Ravenhurst
04.12.2012 , 05:30 AM | #527
We all know the stuff shown in the video below will never be possible in TOR, because we do NOT have open world planets!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdqxid-oCGU

The real interesting part starts at 2:10 by the way, watch in HD!

Notice the daytime? Nice day/night change too

also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-adBTVgbVY

You see real players below running around and other player space ships around. It was incredible. One of the many reasons why space in TOR is such a huge letdown

Enemybrit
04.13.2012 , 12:03 AM | #528
Well i have been following this Thread for awhile and im proud to finnally step up to support it.

first off: exellent work devs and old republic team great game you did yourself proud!

now i agree with your concerens for space flight. Its to bad they chose a mini game over a fully realised flight sim thing.
I have read alot of people comparing the space ocmabt in game to Star Fox 64 and how it can be good in some cases but what im amazed i have not read as of yet (unless i missed it) was that Star Fox 64 had 3 axis flight in it as well!! you fight a boss or multiplayer and u could do 180 turns run around at will in a small enviroment.

If they dont want a flight sim like SWG why not do what starfox 64 did and have best of both worlds?

Tube shooter on Class related missions for cinimatic movie effect. and 3d mode for boss or exploration,grinding.

it just feels to me that when SWG ended they said. Why wasnt SWG not so exellent? (loved it btw) i got it!! Bad ground battles and boring missions! so lets make sure we have amazing fun cinimatic missions and ground battles. But they left out the 2 things in the old republic that made SWG great! Customization and Space flight. I know the customization will never be 25%( 25-40%) of what SWG was but i feel the old republic should have a fully featured and realised space combat.

anyway this was my first post on any mmo forum but i feel i needed to step up and support you guys in my small way.

shepardcomander
04.14.2012 , 05:44 AM | #529
Quote: Originally Posted by Enemybrit View Post
Well i have been following this Thread for awhile and im proud to finnally step up to support it.

first off: exellent work devs and old republic team great game you did yourself proud!

now i agree with your concerens for space flight. Its to bad they chose a mini game over a fully realised flight sim thing.
I have read alot of people comparing the space ocmabt in game to Star Fox 64 and how it can be good in some cases but what im amazed i have not read as of yet (unless i missed it) was that Star Fox 64 had 3 axis flight in it as well!! you fight a boss or multiplayer and u could do 180 turns run around at will in a small enviroment.

If they dont want a flight sim like SWG why not do what starfox 64 did and have best of both worlds?

Tube shooter on Class related missions for cinimatic movie effect. and 3d mode for boss or exploration,grinding.

it just feels to me that when SWG ended they said. Why wasnt SWG not so exellent? (loved it btw) i got it!! Bad ground battles and boring missions! so lets make sure we have amazing fun cinimatic missions and ground battles. But they left out the 2 things in the old republic that made SWG great! Customization and Space flight. I know the customization will never be 25%( 25-40%) of what SWG was but i feel the old republic should have a fully featured and realised space combat.

anyway this was my first post on any mmo forum but i feel i needed to step up and support you guys in my small way.
Welcome and thanks for the support.

Goretzu
04.14.2012 , 08:26 AM | #530
Quote: Originally Posted by Enemybrit View Post

Well I don't think anyone really wants a full on realistic space sim, realistic space combat isn't what you see in Star Wars (or most space films) what you see in most space films is basically atmospheric flight.... but in space, or "Hollywood Space" basically.

But there's loads of games have done that well though, they could basically stick Freelancer in with a SW skin and it would be 1000x better than what is currently in or an higher res X-wing vs Tie Fighter.

But I totally agree that they should make any future space combat as fun as possible, the more boring or grindy bits of SWG (or any other space game) aren't really needed if the game itself is fun enough.

But I would definately rather see a more "sandboxy" space combat (although not nessicarly sandbox as such, just "sandy" al la SWG JTLS) rather than a "themepark" space combat (which is basically what we've got at the moment). Star Wars is made for that IMO.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1