Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

Deewe's Avatar


Deewe
04.05.2012 , 05:50 PM | #501
Quote: Originally Posted by shepardcomander View Post
Was happy to see 3D Space battles as an option in a developer request for feedback poll. Then I realized a couple of things about what that implied:

1 - If they are just now considering 3d space combat along with other features then they haven't yet started developement nor even nailed down a decision to develope it.

2 - if they are just now asking for feedback regarding features like 3D space combat then they have indeed completely ignored/not read any of the feedback given on the subject to date.
Ignored indeed. It's just PR management.

shepardcomander's Avatar


shepardcomander
04.07.2012 , 10:45 AM | #502
Pre launch the officially sanctioned "space combat" poll was heavily biased against space combat and only offered rough 33.3% of positive responses for space combat.

Now, a newer, less biased poll offers 75% positive responses. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=391956

Yeah, BiowEAr doesn't try to manipulate feed back to fit predetermined planned developement or anything...

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
04.07.2012 , 01:00 PM | #503
Quote: Originally Posted by shepardcomander View Post
Pre launch the officially sanctioned "space combat" poll was heavily biased against space combat and only offered rough 33.3% of positive responses for space combat.

Now, a newer, less biased poll offers 75% positive responses. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=391956

Yeah, BiowEAr doesn't try to manipulate feed back to fit predetermined planned developement or anything...



I think it's fair to say, a decent 3D space combat system...... well I can't see how anyone wouldn't be for it.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

shepardcomander's Avatar


shepardcomander
04.07.2012 , 01:34 PM | #504
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
well I can't see how anyone wouldn't be for it.
you'd be surprised by how many "raiders" only value their gear based on how many other players find it unobtainable. Thusly ANY developer resources that go into non raid content/gear = a complete waste to those players.

Criosdh's Avatar


Criosdh
04.07.2012 , 01:41 PM | #505
Quote: Originally Posted by shepardcomander View Post
you'd be surprised by how many "raiders" only value their gear based on how many other players find it unobtainable. Thusly ANY developer resources that go into non raid content/gear = a complete waste to those players.
Unfortunately that is completely true.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
04.08.2012 , 04:55 AM | #506
Quote: Originally Posted by shepardcomander View Post
you'd be surprised by how many "raiders" only value their gear based on how many other players find it unobtainable. Thusly ANY developer resources that go into non raid content/gear = a complete waste to those players.
Yeah, blinkered is blinkered I guess. When the skinner box is working the subjecxts don't need to look left or right.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

shepardcomander's Avatar


shepardcomander
04.09.2012 , 04:39 AM | #507
This weekend James Ohlen confirmed my supposition that they have nothing to talk about regarding better space combat.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/s...y-3-live-blogs

he says they're still figuring out what they want to do in the future, code for we haven't even started yet.

Lord_Ravenhurst's Avatar


Lord_Ravenhurst
04.09.2012 , 04:53 AM | #508
Quote: Originally Posted by shepardcomander View Post
he says they're still figuring out what they want to do in the future, code for we haven't even started yet.
What exactly needs to be figured out about space combat?

I guess they won´t re-invent the wheel, so some research into "Jump to Lightspeed" and "Battlefront II" could have been done between 2008 and today.

My guess: They need to figure out what they need to leave out and are making a list of "unnecessary features" like an explorable star system, mining, atmospheric flight.

My prediction: At the end, Space Combat will be a warzone. Loading screen - you jump into a queued instance and shoot some turrets and fighters - loading screen - back on ground.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
04.09.2012 , 07:34 AM | #509
Quote: Originally Posted by shepardcomander View Post
This weekend James Ohlen confirmed my supposition that they have nothing to talk about regarding better space combat.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/s...y-3-live-blogs

he says they're still figuring out what they want to do in the future, code for we haven't even started yet.


Yeah reading between the lines (or frankly the lack of lines) I think it's been pretty obvious that whilst they may like to do a proper 3D space combat side to SWTOR, it's basically just vague ideas.


So I guess any vaguely realistic expectation for this would be some sort of expansion in late 2013 (this is, of course, assuming that any idea is ever translated in to reality - which certainly isn't a given).


Which basically means the current space combat for the next 24 months the very at least.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Azzras's Avatar


Azzras
04.09.2012 , 08:45 AM | #510
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
Yeah reading between the lines (or frankly the lack of lines) I think it's been pretty obvious that whilst they may like to do a proper 3D space combat side to SWTOR, it's basically just vague ideas.


So I guess any vaguely realistic expectation for this would be some sort of expansion in late 2013 (this is, of course, assuming that any idea is ever translated in to reality - which certainly isn't a given).


Which basically means the current space combat for the next 24 months the very at least.
I think you're wrong here. BW has stated over and over they have a 'secret project' for space combat they are currently working on.

That fact added to the poll up now suggests to me that we should see something within the year.

Time will tell.
[ █ █ █ █ █] ( ) Ξ█████████████ The Shadowlands █████████████)