Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

Galius's Avatar


Galius
03.17.2012 , 07:50 AM | #311
Quote: Originally Posted by Trenter View Post
Wait, those games have 3d flight space combat?
Those games don't need it since they have nothing to do with space... but of course you already knew that.
Quote: Originally Posted by Galius View Post
WILL THERE BE FULL CONTROL SPACE COMBAT IN THE FUTURE?
Not a hard question to answer directly and honestly so why haven't you?

brentonj's Avatar


brentonj
03.17.2012 , 08:01 AM | #312
They dodged questions about -REAL- space combat at the guild summit, and they've continued to ignore it since beta.

It's not happening. With a game of this size and budget, it just amazes me that they simply don't care.
Ability Delay
"Busy adults who desire high level progression & expect high performance results"

Lord_Ravenhurst's Avatar


Lord_Ravenhurst
03.17.2012 , 08:14 AM | #313
Quote: Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
As for the Star Wars IP licence, even though I agree, unfortunately LA does not.

Two years ago, there was a rumour that LA was cancelling all externally created Star Wars projects, with the exception of SWTOR:

http://kotaku.com/5614577/rumor-luca...ing-developers
Perhaps - and this is merely speculation - there is something big going on at LucasArts regarding a possible Battlefront III or new multiplayer X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter game.

Here´s an interesting video from someone who put a lot of research into this:

Proof of Star Wars: Battlefront III 2011 Episode 1

and check this out:

LucasArts hiring for FPS, aerial combat, action/adventure games


To me, the best thing would be a kind of Star Wars Galaxies 2 /non-themepark MMO with more action based aerial/ground/atmospheric combat, all based in an open world star system. Have lost my hopes that SWTOR will head into this direction. Perhaps they are not even allowed to do so?

LucasArts job listing hints at in-development 'open-world RPG'


OPEN. WORLD. RPG. ----> YES

AislingKerrigan's Avatar


AislingKerrigan
03.17.2012 , 08:17 AM | #314
Quote: Originally Posted by Jixer View Post
Well said. For now, I am ignoring the space combat as if it isn't even part of the game. I am pretty sure there are Iphone apps that are better and more interesting.
You're actually right. The Galaxy on Fire series is impressive for a near-full featured space flight/combat game.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
03.17.2012 , 08:23 AM | #315
Quote: Originally Posted by Trenter View Post
Wait, those games have 3d flight space combat?
You don't really expect it in those (a Spelljammer MMO would be great however ).

But Star Wars you do..... and in the only other Star Wars MMORPG..... you did (you could even fly them around a planet at the end).
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
03.17.2012 , 08:26 AM | #316
Quote: Originally Posted by AislingKerrigan View Post
You're actually right. The Galaxy on Fire series is impressive for a near-full featured space flight/combat game.


Ok that is pretty impressive for a smart phone, makes you realise how undeveloped SWTOR space combat really is.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

metalgearyoda's Avatar


metalgearyoda
03.17.2012 , 08:28 AM | #317
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
Perhaps - and this is merely speculation - there is something big going on at LucasArts regarding a possible Battlefront III or new multiplayer X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter game.

Here´s an interesting video from someone who put a lot of research into this:

Proof of Star Wars: Battlefront III 2011 Episode 1

and check this out:

LucasArts hiring for FPS, aerial combat, action/adventure games


To me, the best thing would be a kind of Star Wars Galaxies 2 /non-themepark MMO with more action based aerial/ground/atmospheric combat, all based in an open world star system. Have lost my hopes that SWTOR will head into this direction. Perhaps they are not even allowed to do so?

LucasArts job listing hints at in-development 'open-world RPG'


OPEN. WORLD. RPG. ----> YES
What if LA is handling the patch that'll be space flight?

o_O

Its our only hope.
Ganking leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to pvp.
The Swtor forum attracts trolls because the forums are more fun than raiding dragon soul.
Complaining is the new meta game.

brentonj's Avatar


brentonj
03.17.2012 , 08:37 AM | #318
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
Ok that is pretty impressive for a smart phone, makes you realise how undeveloped SWTOR space combat really is.
Indeed.

I liken Swtor currently to the ToRTanic.
Ability Delay
"Busy adults who desire high level progression & expect high performance results"

Tarka's Avatar


Tarka
03.17.2012 , 09:39 AM | #319
Quote: Originally Posted by Trenter View Post
Wait, those games have 3d flight space combat?
Nope, I think you missed the point of that statement. Although I suspect that was deliberate my friend
Supporter of having the following in the game:
Full Control Space Combat, More Playable Species (not unlockable),
Swimming, Sitting In Chairs, Planetary Day / Night Cycles and other MMORPG elements
MMO's are not meant to be films, and neither should they be movie-studio set tours

Tarka's Avatar


Tarka
03.17.2012 , 09:44 AM | #320
Quote: Originally Posted by metalgearyoda View Post
What if LA is handling the patch that'll be space flight?

o_O

Its our only hope.
Very doubtful. It's more likely that they are working on their own Star Wars based RPG game internally. Whilst leaving Bioware to get on with what they want to do.

Bioware actually said that LA have little input into SWTOR, aside from ensuring that the canonical Star Wars lore remains intact.
Supporter of having the following in the game:
Full Control Space Combat, More Playable Species (not unlockable),
Swimming, Sitting In Chairs, Planetary Day / Night Cycles and other MMORPG elements
MMO's are not meant to be films, and neither should they be movie-studio set tours