Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

cbowsin
03.02.2012 , 11:24 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by SturmUndSterne View Post
They were all made by a company called Origin.. which was bought out by EA when Wing Commander - Prophecy was an abysmal failure.

How hard would it be to integrate the existing space sim combat code into a mini-game in this game? They already own the code.. and WC-P was written about ten years ago. It could be slimmed down pretty easily, I'd think.
Yes and EA already owns a free-flight space mmorpg that was shut down 7 years ago. Is it something they could do, of course. Is it something they will do, nope.
Yoda: I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.

Galius
03.02.2012 , 12:18 PM | #122
EA and good business sense have never really been in the same room with each other never mind same sentence.

Years ago they had a beta out for Multi-Player Battletech : 3025. It was amazing. Tons of fun.

They cancelled it before it ever gold in order to give us gems like Majestic (flop), Motor City Online (Flop), Earth and Beyond (Flop)....

So now they have in thier grubby little hands one of the most sought after IPs and they refuse to abuse it to it's full potential...
Quote: Originally Posted by Galius View Post
WILL THERE BE FULL CONTROL SPACE COMBAT IN THE FUTURE?
Not a hard question to answer directly and honestly so why haven't you?

VonAlex
03.02.2012 , 12:20 PM | #123
Yay.. one I do agree with!
Got my post in the general area closed down... Guess im far from the only one that wants the space aspect of the game to actually be something that has anything to do with space.. the current space fight system is quite point less...

Walking around in my spaceship and looking out of the window and see the planet or station I am gonna visit is very nice! But I dont understand why they didnt leave at that instead of giving that pointless spacesim.... Hell Tyrian was more fun and better costumized than this

I REALY hope they fix it
Please stop closing my posts everytime I mention spaceflight....

There is a bounty on your head and I claim it

Kubernetic
03.02.2012 , 12:56 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by VonAlex View Post
Yay.. one I do agree with!
Got my post in the general area closed down... Guess im far from the only one that wants the space aspect of the game to actually be something that has anything to do with space.. the current space fight system is quite point less...

Walking around in my spaceship and looking out of the window and see the planet or station I am gonna visit is very nice! But I dont understand why they didnt leave at that instead of giving that pointless spacesim.... Hell Tyrian was more fun and better costumized than this

I REALY hope they fix it
Because a lot of us really enjoy that space combat system.

I've not played the "Excel in Space" game that some people play, but I have played a certain other Sci-Fi MMORPG with a really popular IP and I much prefer TOR space combat over the other at this point. It's much more exciting, much more kinetic and active, and is something that I enjoy playing multiple times without becoming bored of it.

Would I like something more? Absolutely. I'd love open space PVP with individual players in smaller ships and guilds running capital ships.

But I understand why they added this part into the game. It's fun and it's still Star Wars, and it's a lot easier than the hassles we used to put up with with X-Wing. It's something I can log in and play for a half hour and run a few different missions and be done with it.

I also remember the HUGE outcry from the fan base that resulted when BioWare suggested space wasn't going to be a huge part of the game. The game HAD to have space in it, the fans said, we HAD to have ships of our own, and BioWare did what they had to do to get a space component into the game by launch time.

I'm interested to know what this hush-hush space project is that's going on in BW somewhere. Hopefully we'll get details on that by summer time if not before then...
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tékay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...

SirRobin
03.02.2012 , 12:58 PM | #125
Wow, this is still going?

While I still feel that there is nothing wrong with wanting more multiplayer content in a pay-to-play multiplayer game... While playing TOR I have noticed that this game has some major problems in, and shortcomings with, its design. Addressing those problems should probably take precedence over adding multiplayer space combat.

The "primary gameplay experience" is way too linear, and way too short, just for starters. BioWare has their work cut out for them and until they can whip the fundamentals into shape... Well, multiplayer space combat should probably wait for an xpac.

theninthlife
03.02.2012 , 01:02 PM | #126
To play devil's advocate here, I have a feeling that the developers of this game were under time constraints to make release deadlines.

That being said, there is no reason to leave us in the dark on this unless there was never any intention to add or upgrade this to start.

Of all the things wrong with SWG, JTL was NOT one of them. There were many flaws and it was not a perfect system by any stretch but even so, it was still a fantastic aspect of the game.

For those who have not played it Ill summarize the differences;

JTL had (among other things)

-A variety of ships with different base performance stats so that players could choose their preference of ship
-Customization kits to allow players up to 9 different options of paint styles and dozens of options of paint colors
-Ability to customize the name of each and every ship flown
-Interchangeable part options allowing a player to choose how the ship performed by changing out parts
-Reverse engineering of looted parts to allow players upgrade their equipment
-POB ships where multiple players could ride along and join in group combat
-About a dozen space areas where players could explore and engage in quests and random pvp/pve

SWTOR has

-One ship
-One direction of travel
-Zero control of the ship
-Almost no customization options (by comparison)

SWTOR is supposed to be the cutting edge of MMO's but not only did it fall short of expectations in space, it took the absolute worst possible option available. Of all the problems with SWG, Bioware disgarded one of the only things they should have used as a standard of comparison.

The tubes are fine for those who enjoy them. I personally spent about 5 mins in one and will never do it again. For those of us who played JTL or any other 3D space sim, its about the same as being told to be happy about a moped after we have been driving a Ferrari for 8 years.

The coding is there......Lucas Arts has access to everything that was created by SWG. Change the skins, make it smaller, fix the loopholes and add it. Do that and SWTOR will solidify itself in the annals of MMO history as the msot advanced and diverse game to date.

All the time waiting for this game and suddenly the EMU is looking more appealing every day.

Azzras
03.02.2012 , 01:03 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post

While I still feel that there is nothing wrong with wanting more multiplayer content in a pay-to-play multiplayer game... While playing TOR I have noticed that this game has some major problems in, and shortcomings with, its design. Addressing those problems should probably take precedence over adding multiplayer space combat.

The "primary gameplay experience" is way too linear, and way too short, just for starters. BioWare has their work cut out for them and until they can whip the fundamentals into shape... Well, multiplayer space combat should probably wait for an xpac.
I was under the impression that SC was worked on by a different division.
[ █ █ █ █ █] ( • ) Ξ█████████████ The Shadowlands █████████████)

Galius
03.02.2012 , 01:03 PM | #128

And as we have said before many times...

That's fine.. JUST TELL US. If they came out and said, "We will be adding full control space combat in the future as either a free or paid expansion." many of us would be content.
WILL THERE BE FULL CONTROL SPACE COMBAT IN THE FUTURE?
Not a hard question to answer directly and honestly so why haven't you?

SirRobin
03.02.2012 , 02:00 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by Azzras View Post
I was under the impression that SC was worked on by a different division.
TOR's space content was made in Edmonton instead of Austin. Which by itself casts doubts on further expansions of this part since we don't know if that team has moved on to other projects or not. Austin is for TOR, not Edmonton.

And as we have said before many times...

That's fine.. JUST TELL US. If they came out and said, "We will be adding full control space combat in the future as either a free or paid expansion." many of us would be content.
Don't forget how tight lipped BioWare has a tendency of being. It used to be almost a "if I told you I would have to kill you" sort of thing with them. They've actually opened up a lot with TOR but I imagine old habits die hard.

Mumorpugers are pretty much "works in progress" for most of their shelf life. I imagine its on the "wall of crazy" but until the head honchos are confident that TOR is going to remain "hot," hardly a sure thing, I doubt they want to risk rocking the boat.

Which overhauling space combat would be to some of the folks already going funny colors over the relative shortage of endgame content.

Azzras
03.02.2012 , 02:03 PM | #130
TOR's space content was made in Edmonton instead of Austin. Which by itself casts doubts on further expansions of this part since we don't know if that team has moved on to other projects or not. Austin is for TOR, not Edmonton.

Don't forget how tight lipped BioWare has a tendency of being. It used to be almost a "if I told you I would have to kill you" sort of thing with them. They've actually opened up a lot with TOR but I imagine old habits die hard.

Mumorpugers are pretty much "works in progress" for most of their shelf life. I imagine its on the "wall of crazy" but until the head honchos are confident that TOR is going to remain a hit, I doubt they want to risk rocking the boat.

Which overhauling space combat would be to some of the folks already going funny colors over the relative shortage of endgame content.
I would say adding full control space combat would definitely benefit this game.
What other MMO out there offers SW:BF2 style space combat system?
It could really attract a lot of players.
[ █ █ █ █ █] ( • ) Ξ█████████████ The Shadowlands █████████████)