Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Let BioWare know you support custom gear

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Let BioWare know you support custom gear
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sandzibar
01.10.2012 , 08:29 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by EmmanuelLusinchi View Post
The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.
wow... fantastic news. like super super good. bravo

Androvis
01.10.2012 , 08:37 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by BMSRT View Post
I support this thread with every fiber of my being.
^^this
1) Level Slicing to 400
2) ???
3) No more Profit!

Freeborne
01.10.2012 , 08:41 AM | #23
The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.
Thank you, Emmanuel.
The Ebon Hawk: 50 Commando, Shep'ard. 50 Guardian, Asha'man
Want a global LFG channel? Type "/cjoin LFG" on your server and get others to do the same!

FacelessMinion
01.10.2012 , 08:41 AM | #24
You had me until this part.
Please don't add in useless complexity for no justifiable reason. :\

Tommyjc
01.10.2012 , 08:42 AM | #25
The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.
Finally, i love you, but i hate your designers for making that raid gear.

Hobnobb
01.10.2012 , 08:44 AM | #26
Awesome news.

Of course you need to restric some mods to different gear pieces otherwise people would farm the first boss of an operation to get mods for all their armour pieces.

BlackMink
01.10.2012 , 08:48 AM | #27
I have mixed feelings about this.

First, item modding:

Having been level 50 for a while now, to be perfectly honest I hate SWTOR's item mod system. As you level up and complete quests, it's really dissapointing to receive an item mod of some type, where you would have received a whole item as a reward if we didn't have this mod system. Instead of getting something nice, I get 1/4 of an item.

But what's really frustrating about it; is the awful looking equipment. Especialy if you play a Jedi type, you get a lot of really ugly looking brown robes throughout the game, and thanks to finding item mods all the time, you often end up getting stuck wearing this ugly armor. Because by the time you find a nice looking level 35+ green or blue with a better look, you have already modded up your ugly (originaly level 25) orange item to the point that it's better than the cool new items you are finding.

One of my friends in game has worn the same ugly brown robe he got on Taris all the way up 50, and it's not by choice.

With all of that said, the item mod system just doesn't feel right. If it ONLY applied to lightsabers, I would make more sense to me, because every lightsaber is supposed to be custom built. But having this same mod system apply to armor and guns as well just doesn't seem implemented correctly.

Overall, after a month of playing this game, I really feel like this item mod system is just a tacked on feature (or perhaps forced) onto an otherwise good MMO equipment system.

Concerning appearances:

It's already been requested many times to have an 'appearnce tab' type feature. I am here to tell you today that this would be so much preferable to what we have today. Trying to find orange items with matching graphics, with which I can spend a bunch of money (especially if I had to pull mods out) to mod up to a useful level.

More than just that, I have seen so much need for the match to chest option to be put back in the game. I don't even know where to begin. Nice looking blue-ish robe with a brown colored skirt? Rainbow colored troopers? For the love of god devs, put it back, put it back, put it back. We NEED this feature.

Finally, concerning the purple end-game gear:

I frankly disagree with the dev statements above. End game armor shouldn't be salvaged for parts. Especially not the set bonus. It's unique, and distinctive. People should wear this stuff with pride. If the graphics of this armor is a problem for people, then bioware should fix the graphics, not make it more modable. End-game armor is a badge of pride, something you had to earn, and everyone should be able to see that on your character.

Olarid
01.10.2012 , 08:51 AM | #28
This includes adding Heavy and Medium social gear then too right? Because that would only make sense

Kalluss
01.10.2012 , 08:52 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by FacelessMinion View Post
I assume (key word there) that they are referring to raid drops to solve the problem they brought up specifically of having guilds farm the early bosses in an Operation then yank the mods. That should not effect crafted or otherwise obtained mods.

I am real happy about this news though because I thought modding was a great idea and was disappointed by the changes to the system during development. Hopefully this makes it into game fairly quickly.

JonathanCP
01.10.2012 , 08:54 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by FacelessMinion View Post
The reason is very simple.

They don't want people farming the boots of the first raid boss, remove the mods, and construct a FULL set of raiding gear.

They want the "chest" or helmet to be droped by the last bosses, for various reasons.

Hence, the mods in those will only fit chest or helmet peices, but more importantly, the boots mods from the first boss will only fit boots.

This restriction will MOST LIKELY only apply to end game raiding mods, and not to the other mods in game.

OH, and please, to the others asking for an a-tab, please, just stop. This is clearly NOT the direction they want to go, so if you are not satisfied, go play another game.