Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guide - How to Counter a Concealment Operative/Scoundrel

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Guide - How to Counter a Concealment Operative/Scoundrel

Slickerpunk
01.07.2012 , 09:34 AM | #1
There is a LOT of outcry on the forums about the burst of concealment operatives and I am not arguing that ambush/acid blade needs retuning. Being a 50 Concealment Operative with 10% expertise myself, I thought I would give out some tips on how to live when you find yourself being attacked by one.

Please take into account that if you are not level 50 with at least equal or near equal expertise (total hp too), this will probably not go in your favor. If you're out-geared, you're dead anyway as it is with most classes.

A Concealment Operative's entire PvP burst potential centers around him getting the opening Hidden Strike (Ambush in WoW Terms) out of stealth. This typically can crit anywhere from 3.5-4.5k, depending on armor and expertise, as well as apply a 1500~ 6-second DoT while granting the Operative a buff to ignore 50% armor buff.

Your biggest problem, however , is the 3 second knockdown that this ability has on your character. While you lay down there nice and immobile, the operative unloads all of his melee abilities on you (with 50% ignore armor buff). Most of the time, this will leave characters with equal gear at around 20-40% hp, depending on crits.

So you see, if the Operative does not have those 3 seconds of free-casting (essentially) on you while you're knocked down, he is at a complete disadvantage.

TIPS to Fighting a Concealment Operative:

#1: Once you find yourself ambushed and face-planted from him, immediately pop your trinket (for lack of better word) and pop a defensive cooldown. The operative will be blowing all of his cooldowns (all his melee attacks, save Lacerate, have cooldowns) trying to kill u as fast as possible. You now have the immediate advantage, you have a full resolve bar and he just blew all his cooldowns whikle you had your defensive walls up.

#2: If he vanishes, spam an AoE abilty to knock him back out of stealth.

#3: If you are playing with friends, once the operative reveals himself, train him. Without Vanish up, he is extremely squishy and will die quickly.

#4: A Good Operative is a assassin that excels at 1 on 1 takedowns, if you play a solo ranged class that is typically far from help, expect to be targeted often. Snipers especially, you are our number one target.

#5: Keep him snared/dotted.

#6: BH/Troopers - Spec into the improved Sensor Scan. This DESTROYS operatives/assassins. Use it on cooldown if u smell one near by, don't use it reactively, use it preventively (if you are in the rafters or in the back doing what ranged people do, keep it up on top of you).

Hope this helps.

Maxxacre
01.07.2012 , 09:38 AM | #2
I have a better 10 step guide for countering Operative/Scoundrels:

1. Get jumped by an Operative/Scoundrel
2. Die 5 seconds later
3. Respawn
4. Repeat steps 1-3 for the duration of the warzone
5. Log on to the SWTOR forums and post about how OP the class is

6. Operative/Scoundrel gets nerfed

7. Get owned by a different class in a warzone
8. Get owned a few more times by that same class
9. Log on to the SWTOR forums and post about how OP the class is.

10. Rinse and repeat
"Paper is fine, nerf rock!" --Scissors

Slickerpunk
01.07.2012 , 09:45 AM | #3
I suppose 6500 damage with one ability (crit + dot) is a tad much.

Glixx
01.07.2012 , 10:32 AM | #4
So this entire guide revolves around having a 2min. CC breaker cooldown available?

#1 If your CC breaker is down = Dead

#3 Bring friends and outnumber said solo Operative

#4 See #3

#5 If #1 Successful, then Dot/Snare and call for help, else Dead

#6 Use a 5s duration skill with a cooldown of 20s and hope that some Operative is stupid enough to walk through it.

I appreciate you trying to shed light on how an Operative works, but what you describe as a strategy is just stuff that will help against the bad players. A halfway decent player won't let themselves get caught by most this stuff.

Bovinity
01.07.2012 , 11:21 AM | #5
See, this is what gets me about the whole "Operatives are fine" stuff.

Your entire strat revolves around the assumptions that people are always going to have their 2 min CC break up, have 2-3 min defensive CD's up, have more people around than you have with you, that everyone has a free AE damage ability they can just spam to find the Operative that vanished, or that Operatives are going to just walk into the VERY obvious graphic of a stealth-breaker ability. =(

If Operative's burst opener was also on a 2-3 min CD, I could understand the logic. But to say that it's fine because everyone can just "Break the CC and pop defensive cooldowns" to counter a basic damage ability doesn't hold water.

I don't want to see the class nerfed into oblivion or anything, but having the opener tweaked and the damage moved to other abilities or something would be preferable.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to roll EVERY rogue opener (and a finisher!) onto one attack wasn't thinking straight that day. (It's Cheap shot, ambush, garrote and some Expose Armor thrown in for good measure, in case anyone wonders what I'm referring to)

Ronaith
01.07.2012 , 11:24 AM | #6
TL;DR - If you have your PvP trinket on CD - you are dead. Nice, +rep

dougan
01.07.2012 , 11:25 AM | #7
If you don't have a cc-break up and you aren't a tank, you're pretty boned unless someone helps you.

Team game. Competent teams are relatively unaffected by Ops/Scoundrels (except maybe once at the beginning of the WZ).
Dougan

Clispin
01.07.2012 , 11:27 AM | #8
Beating a scoundrel/operative

1. Bring 2-3 friends
rsfgdfg

BobaFurz
01.07.2012 , 11:30 AM | #9
Seems like a lot of people never played other major mmorpgs if they dont assume a lot of the survival is depandant on cooldowns. In other mmorpgs you would be roflstomped if your cc breaker would be on cooldown, yes also from "rogues" but from other classes aswell.

Do you think if a stealth class has no cooldowns up, in this case his vanish, and he is caught without his openere he doesnt die aswell ? Some of you need to learn some basics which you will expirience in other mmorpgs too.
STAR WARS
RETURN OF TEH HUTTBALL

Reenolols
01.07.2012 , 11:33 AM | #10
If you survive my opener (which as I'm getting BM gear is becoming less frequent..), stun/slow or kb/slow is the only way you're going to have a chance. That's if you're kiting effectively and getting heals as I'm pelting you with probe + 800 rifle shots til I'm within 10m to root you. If I'm not outnumbered, you're not going to win, simple as that. It's just what the class is atm.. This is talking against other 10% expertise 50's that know their class well.
Reeno: Nub 70+ Operative | Reenow: 55+ Marauder
Reenopt: 53+ Powertech |Belgoth's Beacon|

Vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/Reeno23/videos