Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

"does not exist" when adding to friends list.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
"does not exist" when adding to friends list.

AceMcNabbers's Avatar


AceMcNabbers
01.07.2012 , 07:10 AM | #1
My buddy, who got me into the game, gave me a list of his toons. I started a character on the same server, same side, and tried to add them to my friends list. Some of them added, some of them wouldn't, and I got the message "<name> does not exist." I thought maybe I didn't get some spelling or punctuation right, and let it pass.

Yesterday, he created a new character, and we played together for quite a while, and I added it to my friends list. Today, I created a new bounty hunter, and on this toon, I tried to add the name of the character he was playing yesterday to my friends list. It said the character didn't exist. I logged back into my other toon from yesterday, and it's on my friends list no problem.

Anyone know what's up with that? I need to be able to add my friends when they're offline so when they come online, I can see them. But the game doesn't always seem to know they exist when they're not logged on.

Jayntree's Avatar


Jayntree
01.07.2012 , 07:27 AM | #2
Sounds like your friend is using special characters in his name. When people do this with their names it makes it so you really cannot put them on your friends list unless you click on their name when you are playing with them and add them that way. It is rather difficult to type it in the next day.
CE VIP Access
*pops flare*

darkdelusions's Avatar


darkdelusions
01.07.2012 , 07:29 AM | #3
The friend you are trying to add has to be online on the toon your trying to add. You can not add offline friends for some reason.

AceMcNabbers's Avatar


AceMcNabbers
01.07.2012 , 07:32 AM | #4
Well, first off, he only has one toon with special characters in it, and I know that it happens to be an apostrophe. So that's not the issue.

The weird thing about them having to be online, is that SOME of the toons of his I try to add, it lets me add even if they're offline, and some it doesn't, and the really annoying thing is, I need to be able to add them when he's offline. How else am I going to know when he comes online?

darkdelusions's Avatar


darkdelusions
01.07.2012 , 07:38 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by AceMcNabbers View Post
Well, first off, he only has one toon with special characters in it, and I know that it happens to be an apostrophe. So that's not the issue.

The weird thing about them having to be online, is that SOME of the toons of his I try to add, it lets me add even if they're offline, and some it doesn't, and the really annoying thing is, I need to be able to add them when he's offline. How else am I going to know when he comes online?
I understand completely and that was my exact thought process on it.

DeathMutant's Avatar


DeathMutant
01.07.2012 , 10:24 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by darkdelusions View Post
The friend you are trying to add has to be online on the toon your trying to add. You can not add offline friends for some reason.
I actually reported that as a bug. You should be able to add an offline friend -- especially your own alts. Why would you want to add your alts to /friends? When addressing composed mail, your /friends list is used so it is less likely you will mis-address something.

Deslan's Avatar


Deslan
01.07.2012 , 11:04 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DeathMutant View Post
I actually reported that as a bug. You should be able to add an offline friend -- especially your own alts. Why would you want to add your alts to /friends? When addressing composed mail, your /friends list is used so it is less likely you will mis-address something.
Oh rly? I thought it was a bit weird that I had to type out the names of all my alts. Even more weird if I have to add them manually to a "friends list" to get that functionality. But good to know that the functionality exists. This too is a bug IMO; alts should be automatically added to a "hidden" friends list for mail composing purposes.

And I've seen the "Character does not exist" too. Also, I added someone to my friends list, had them on the list for a while, then they got deleted from friends list (not by me) and I can't add them again (character does not exist) even though it's a guild leader so I know the toon hasn't been deleted.

crazyplaya's Avatar


crazyplaya
01.09.2012 , 04:50 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by darkdelusions View Post
The friend you are trying to add has to be online on the toon your trying to add. You can not add offline friends for some reason.
This is wrong. U can add offline toons. I have done this severa times. I can confirm that this works
Fists of Light
Server: The Red Eclipse
Leader: Attan Moonfire
Homepage: Fists of Light

pcloadletter's Avatar


pcloadletter
01.09.2012 , 04:52 PM | #9
It doesn't always work for offline friends. It's inconsistent.

Dasffion's Avatar


Dasffion
01.09.2012 , 04:53 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by crazyplaya View Post
This is wrong. U can add offline toons. I have done this severa times. I can confirm that this works
There's a bug where you can't add some people. I was able to add some people while they were offline and others I couldn't.