Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Black Screen on Startup, can hear the sounds of the menu but no picture.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Black Screen on Startup, can hear the sounds of the menu but no picture.

hashbrownforever
01.07.2012 , 04:28 AM | #1
Hi there,

I have had a black screen problem on start-up where as soon as the game starts, the screen is black and I cannot see anything but only hear the sound of the menu.

I have read many threads such as one which suggest to reinstall directx etc, resize the program to a window and set fullscreen to false. Nothing has worked and I am looking for some helpful advice.

Packetdancer
01.07.2012 , 04:48 AM | #2
If you have an Radeon video card -- basically,if your graphics are powered by an ATI chipset from AMD -- you'll probably want to make sure you have downloaded the latest version of the Catalyst drivers; 11.11, 11.12 and 12.1 all seem to work fine with SWTOR, but earlier don't necessarily. And if you rely on Windows Update to bring you video driver updates, you'll probably be several versions behind.

If you're not sure where best to find the appropriate drivers, you can hit up AMD's download site directly, and it should be able to find you the appropriate drivers to use.

And I am probably too tired to phrase this completely coherently, I apologize.
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris) / Random CS Forum Participant
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.

docTOR: SWTOR Launcher Troubleshooting Guide

hashbrownforever
01.07.2012 , 05:09 AM | #3
Thank you very much,

this is odd though as I had attempted to install the latest driver before and it didn't work, thanks for the help

Hugebull
01.11.2012 , 04:00 PM | #4
I just downloaded the lastest AMD driver, and thats when i got the problem in the first place.