Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Karen Traviss versus Barbara Hambly

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Karen Traviss versus Barbara Hambly

mefit
03.30.2012 , 10:43 AM | #11
How many StarWars Authors are Best Sellers ? Well we know Karen Traviss is !

We know she LEFT StarWars because they were gonna change Mandos down to tree huggers instead of the warriors we been reading about.

Hey She did a good job on Gears of War books and has serveral projects going so maybe leaving the hateful StarWars fans behind and move on to less hateful fans was better.

Gears of War being fairly new has less a critical fanbase of players and readers that would be willing to send hateful threats / death threats and troll extremely on a Author/writer.

There is nothing from LucasArts or a Offical StarWars site stateing" She had to quit or she would be fired " . Thats very unrealistic in the world of Work and Pay , she wasn't a cheap writer .

The Extreme FanBase is why Lucas does not want to make anymore StarWars Movies after getting attacked for characters like JarJar. Being told you are ruining your own creation would make anyone not want to continue .

Karen isn't the only Author that has gotten the Extreme Fans threatening Authors , from what I have seen atleast 2 more Authors have gotten this treatment .

Drew if I remember correctly , has gotten alot of bad feedback himself for Revan . The Entitled Fans of StarWars do not want you making a intresting character . (Here comes the hate , can you feel it . The Lameside is about to attack )
Personally I would like to see more books/comics on what the friendship of Surik and Revan was, seems like there is alot their for Surik to be his guardian for 300 years protecting his mind from the constant attacks of Vitiate who is powerful enough to get into you mind lightyears away as he did to his apprentice.

Karen is a Best Selling , meaning she made LucasArts MONEY for her books.

In game I do not play anything outside of Jedi Shadow and Sith Assassin . I have many Lv1-10 Alts but I am not into them . So my speaking about Karen is only because I am happy that others are moved to play other classes outside of Jedi and Sith, and it could be because of someone like here made them to be just as big of a deal as Sith and Jedi . Personally I loved Republic Commando , been thinking on getting it again for my PC .
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

Captain_Zone
03.30.2012 , 10:49 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by mefit View Post
How many StarWars Authors are Best Sellers ?
Timothy Zahn. Michael Stackpole. Kevin J. Anderson. Aaron Allston. Barbara Hambly.

They don't NEED Karen Traviss to bring "best seller" cred. They have 5 right there.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

mefit
03.30.2012 , 10:55 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Timothy Zahn. Michael Stackpole. Kevin J. Anderson. Aaron Allston. Barbara Hambly.

They don't NEED Karen Traviss to bring "best seller" cred. They have 5 right there.
The whole thing isn't about Cred but being a Best Seller isn't easy ...so yea
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

Toonimator
03.30.2012 , 11:31 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by mefit View Post
We know she LEFT StarWars because they were gonna change Mandos down to tree huggers instead of the warriors we been reading about..
Then all she had to do was make the Mandos she wanted to write about a splinter group like Death Watch is in TCW, like Jaster Mereel's True Mandalorians were in the Dark Horse comics... having not read beyond the first Republic Commando book, I don't know how much she set on Mandalore and whatnot, but it SEEMS like there should be a way to reconcile it all.

It would involve some retcons, but it seemed like she just threw a hissy-fit and left because she didn't wanna kill ANY of her babies--which is a major thing a writer learns to do, with novels & screenplays alike. If you come up with some element you love, and it's no longer working for the story because of the way the plot's developed or outside influence (ie, a higher-level element of the IP changes it, as TCW did with the dominant culture of Mandalore), then you change it or run into a wall.

The Star Wars Atlas from a couple years ago already retconned the True Mandalorians into another splinter group that aspired to the more noble ideals of the Mandos' previous warrior culture, and they were still kicking around after the New Mandalorians--the pacifists--came into power. Based on the history of Satine we learn in the show, it seems like the pacifist movement came around while Obi-Wan was still a Padawan, so probably just a few years before Episode I--which means the timing would be perfect for a bunch of warrior Mandalorians, forced to hide or abandon their ways, disappointed with the new direction of their culture, to be recruited by Jango after a few years of living a lie or hiding out, to become the Cuy'val Dar--those who no longer exist--to train the Clone Commando units.

That all would work. Some backstories might need to be altered, locales, etc... but you could still get Kal Skirata, Walon Vau, and the rest.

I don't know if her hissy fit had anything to do with the Mando Prime Minister declaring Jango to be a nothing more than a thug with a stolen set of armor, but if it did it was a mistake. It seemed very clear that was the PM's personal opinion, either of the man himself or of the whole idea of him as the PM was supposedly a pacifist, where Jango represented a part of Mando society the dominant party would rather forget. And we find out later the PM's a traitor ANYWAY, so EVERYTHING he says/does could be considered suspect!

Invictos
03.30.2012 , 11:32 AM | #15
My impression is that Traviss' greatest strength is also her greatest weakness. She is extraordinarily prolific; she's even remarked that she (believes she) writes better in a state of exhaustion. For sheer stamina, for sheer volume of output, I'm sure she's an attractive hire for established sci-fi franchises, for which -- let's face it -- having more product to sell is more important than making sure the product is of the highest quality.

The other side of the coin is that Traviss isn't thorough. She's admitted, even bragged, that she doesn't read fiction. That in itself isn't all that controversial; what she does in her free time is entirely up to her, but Traviss doesn't even read fiction that is directly related to, and in some cases, absolutely foundational for, her own work. In the case of Star Wars, she apparently relied almost exclusively on editorial notes from LucasArts to get her background information.

She even said at one point, IIRC, that she had only watched two of the Star Wars movies.

So it isn't any wonder that her characterizations might seem off to avid fans, or that her narratives might seem inconsistent (both internally and in the over-arching context of the fictional universe). To some extent, I actually sympathize with her: I think she works herself to the bone, perhaps under the entirely reasonable assumption that her employers want speed first and foremost. I think she started out with the idea that she'd be approachable to the fans, engaging them on the internet perhaps more than most other authors even before her first book was published.

But the combination of frazzled, accessible, and un-thorough author with a horde of hardcore fans is a recipe for disaster. That's even before we get to specific criticisms of her work. I think she would have eventually blown her top almost regardless of the issues at hand, because frankly the internet is a cesspool: if you open yourself up to its murky depths, you're gonna find some really unpleasant comments about just about every subject imaginable.

All of that said, Traviss appears to have basically one story to tell, a story based on her experience as a civilian volunteer hanging around military types. If you give her a plausible framework for gritty, soldiery fiction, she'll succeed. If you give her ... well, basically any other framework, she'll screw it up. Or, rather, she'll reinterpret your framework to fit whatever preconceived ideas she might have based on her zero-research approach to writing.

And she is unprofessional in her interactions with fans. Say what you will about shared blame; it was her mistake to lower herself to the level of the rabid rabble. More casual fans are going to see her commentary ("Talifan," "Nazis") and they'll be turned off. It doesn't matter what provoked her reaction; the standard of conduct for a professional writer is higher than it is for random internet blowhards.

What's worse, her outbursts have (fairly or not) justified every unflattering theory about her motivation in writing some of her more controversial work. Given her statements, it isn't at all a stretch to think that her work on Revelation was a conscious middle finger at fans and/or at her fellow authors.

ZeroOneNine
04.03.2012 , 12:56 PM | #16
Looks like the other Karen Traviss thread got nuked, so I took the liberty of posting to this one to put it on the front page. By all means, continue to discuss her writing ability (lack thereof?) and her massive mando-*****....

edit: lol @ word filter ....

HavocMaster
06.24.2012 , 01:58 PM | #17
I have read little of the latter author, but I am going to say that she is the worst, as the RC books were amazing.
Cipher Nine out.

grandmthethird
06.24.2012 , 02:04 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by HavocMaster View Post
I have read little of the latter author, but I am going to say that she is the worst, as the RC books were amazing.
are you KT's publisher, whats with all the nerco threads? are you trying to raise her profile somehow?
"Hope has a vicious enemy called fate"

Aitix
06.24.2012 , 05:29 PM | #19
I don't understand why people think that Karen Traviss being a "bestseller" makes her a good writer. There are many books that sell well and still suck.

You know who else's books sell well? Stephenie Meyer's

Captain_Zone
06.24.2012 , 06:18 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Aitix View Post
I don't understand why people think that Karen Traviss being a "bestseller" makes her a good writer. There are many books that sell well and still suck.

You know who else's books sell well? Stephenie Meyer's
If Stephanie Meyer and Karen Traviss teamed up on a novel, it would be "Twilight of the Jedi" with Mandalorian Vampires.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.