Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Can low level and high level players group up?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Can low level and high level players group up?

Rumik's Avatar


Rumik
12.14.2011 , 02:55 AM | #1
Hi there,

I can't remember if there's a system in place to allow players of different levels to play together (e.g. my buddy doesn't start playing until the new year and by then I'm already level 25 - can we still do stuff together?).

Could someone remind me?

Cheers!

AndiusTheGreat's Avatar


AndiusTheGreat
12.14.2011 , 02:59 AM | #2
You should be able to go do PVP battlegrounds together since those will bump his stats up until he is more evenly matched with his opponents.

As far as regular content... I don't think so. I mean you can group, but he will be extremely under-powered for the content that challenges you, and you will be severely overpowered for the content that challenges him.
Andius Meuridiar - Jedi Sage - Light Side
Kaemik Meuridiar - Jedi Gaurdian - Light Side
Tharak Meuridiar - Level 50 Sawbones - Light Side
Ajunta Pall - RP-PVP

Rumik's Avatar


Rumik
12.14.2011 , 03:02 AM | #3
Will that effect the xp we both earn? I thought I read somewhere that instead of being punished by grouping up with lower level players we'd be rewarded.

Runeshard's Avatar


Runeshard
12.16.2011 , 01:08 PM | #4
Would make my day if BW would implement some kind of system that adjust your level to that of your group mate(s) so that I'm not overpowered for the content being done. Friends don't always level at the same pace.
"My allies find refuge behind me, my enemies fall before me." Jedi Guardian

jtzako's Avatar


jtzako
12.16.2011 , 01:12 PM | #5
I know the lower player will still gain exp, I'm just not sure if it is reduced in any way for having the higher level player in there.

thereisnotry_'s Avatar


thereisnotry_
12.16.2011 , 01:16 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Rumik View Post
Will that effect the xp we both earn? I thought I read somewhere that instead of being punished by grouping up with lower level players we'd be rewarded.
I'd love to see that, if it would help to strengthen the community.


Just last night, I was waiting to fight a minor-boss (it was gray because someone else was already fighting him). Then I noticed that the other player was very low in health, so I Force Leaped in and helped him kill the boss and avoid death. He was grateful, and I was glad to have helped. I know someone will do the same for me at some point too. It's this kind of community that we need to help foster...so if rewarding high-lvl players for helping others is a way to move toward this, then I'd say go for it.
Try not! Do, or do not...there is no try.

Ebon_Pigeon's Avatar


Ebon_Pigeon
12.16.2011 , 01:17 PM | #7
I group with my friend who was level 1; I was level 14.

Grouped with me, they gained 1exp; Alone, they gained 34exp.

If there's a big gap between levels, clearly there is a drop in experience.

Althire's Avatar


Althire
12.16.2011 , 01:18 PM | #8
The exp is severely reduced I was level 9 and a friend who was level 15 was helping me and instead of getting 70-160xp for killing mobs I was getting 9-25xp but I found if we were not grouped and I done about 40% of the damage to a mob then he killed it I would get the full xp.
╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╣█|████████████MMO's/SWTOR Guide████████████)

Arcson's Avatar


Arcson
12.16.2011 , 02:17 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Runeshard View Post
Would make my day if BW would implement some kind of system that adjust your level to that of your group mate(s) so that I'm not overpowered for the content being done. Friends don't always level at the same pace.
*points to City of Heroes for a good example*

Just something to look into. Initially they had a system where you could "mentor" (or "exemplar" - sort of a reverse-mentoring) one on one. They modified it later so either the entire team would be at the leader's level - or if they went into a lower level mission, the mission holder's. Works out fairly well.

Something for the devs to look into for a later update? I know I've got friends who will be joining all along, and right now I'm just holding a character at level 1 for when we're all in.
Science is the poetry of the real world.

Runeshard's Avatar


Runeshard
12.16.2011 , 06:01 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Arcson View Post
*points to City of Heroes for a good example*

Just something to look into. Initially they had a system where you could "mentor" (or "exemplar" - sort of a reverse-mentoring) one on one. They modified it later so either the entire team would be at the leader's level - or if they went into a lower level mission, the mission holder's. Works out fairly well.

Something for the devs to look into for a later update? I know I've got friends who will be joining all along, and right now I'm just holding a character at level 1 for when we're all in.
Exactly CoH had that system down perfectly. I wouldn't mind having a system that reduced my level so the quests become challenging when I team with others who are lower level then me. Makes it more fun and gives you more people to team with. Having to slow down your leveling or rush through it just to be able to play with friends on your main is no fun.
"My allies find refuge behind me, my enemies fall before me." Jedi Guardian