Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

grinding ruining story/immersion?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
grinding ruining story/immersion?

DarkestDaemon
01.06.2012 , 11:24 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by hauk View Post
I don't see how less grindy quests would make this game any less of a MMO.

Runescape didn't have grind quests and I'm pretty sure it was a MMO.
Don't remind me of Runescape.

And to be quite honest, none of the quests I've done that have been grind quests have seemed unimportant. Or exceedingly tedious/long/painful. Yes they don't connect to the main storyline, but none of the quests do.

The only grind quests I ever have a complaint with are when you have to kill 15, then 45 or similar numbers of the same enemy you've been fighting.

Even then, it's experience, chance at loot, and money.

AdamHyden
01.06.2012 , 11:25 PM | #12
Yes, because it's not like runescape has anything else it might require you to grind...

Lets face it, the grind is a necessary part of an mmo, if anything it feels like theres to little grind here!!

krisslanza
01.07.2012 , 12:34 AM | #13
I dunno the "Kill" bonus quests usually make sense to me. I mean, they're in the way, and you're usually there to mess up something they own, or steal something so... why not also cripple their manpower by taking some more down?

Massyma
01.07.2012 , 01:26 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkestDaemon View Post
So you bought a MMO... expecting it to be like a singleplayer game?
Lol u crack me up

Karkais
01.07.2012 , 08:51 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkestDaemon View Post
So you bought a MMO... expecting it to be like a singleplayer game?
Actually I think Biowares single player games are pretty grindy. Dragon age 1 definitely so.
"What is a Sith? Over time, the beliefs have changed, but one constant has remained. The imposition of one's will on the force, on the environment surrounding one, on the galaxy itself." - Darth Wyyrlok III

Daernar
01.07.2012 , 09:00 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
Actually I think Biowares single player games are pretty grindy. Dragon age 1 definitely so.
QFT, KOTOR too has some of the most grindy area in the entire history of CRPG

Warstrike
01.07.2012 , 09:02 AM | #17
So far (mid 30's) if I run the "level relavent instance" a time or two I've found I can skip about 15% of the quests of the planet in question.

Additionally, the thought of not killing mobs in an RPG to make sure you get exp..
You HAVE played Mass Effect (1&2), right?

Gee just HOW many geth or harvesters can you find on a given mission -
"Hhmmm three more over there - yea kill them too; its exp's"

StarMagus
01.07.2012 , 09:11 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by hariviyer View Post
No, I bought a Bioware MMO, expecting it to be like a Bioware MMO.
You're in luck. STOR is a Bioware MMO, in fact it's the only Bioware MMO on the market which means you got a Bioware MMO.

Rayla_Felana
01.07.2012 , 10:52 AM | #19
I would first like to profess my undying love for this game, it's easily the best game I've played in my ten long years of serious gaming and i have very few complaints about the game, but this is one of them.

I have to agree one hundred percent here, many of the devs stated this can be played as a single player RPG just like any of their other games, but then i found out you must do all the quests you can get your hands on, or risk being seriously out-leveled by your class-quests, this was quite disheartening for me, as i have to spend hours on end grinding random quests with 90% of the time having no moral options like the class quests do, they feel very unimportant.

It kills all immersion for me considering I'm supposed to be going somewhere ASAP in my class quest, then find out i have three levels before i should bother attempting the quest, then spend about 8 to 10 hours questing before i can get back on track finish that part then rinse and repeat, so tell me again, how is this like their single player games? I'm pretty sure in Mass Effect you could skip all those quests and continue on in the story unhindered for the entire game.

I came to this game being told it's KotOR 3-12 and that Story is the major part of the game, then i got told you could play it exactly like any of their other RPG games, apparently this is not as true as they would like to claim it is.

But again, this is just one gripe i have about the game, it doesn't make me love it any less though, although having said that, if something could be done to make this in-between class quest grind less extreme, I'd be much happier.

hariviyer
01.07.2012 , 02:18 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
I would first like to profess my undying love for this game, it's easily the best game I've played in my ten long years of serious gaming and i have very few complaints about the game, but this is one of them.

I have to agree one hundred percent here, many of the devs stated this can be played as a single player RPG just like any of their other games, but then i found out you must do all the quests you can get your hands on, or risk being seriously out-leveled by your class-quests, this was quite disheartening for me, as i have to spend hours on end grinding random quests with 90% of the time having no moral options like the class quests do, they feel very unimportant.

It kills all immersion for me considering I'm supposed to be going somewhere ASAP in my class quest, then find out i have three levels before i should bother attempting the quest, then spend about 8 to 10 hours questing before i can get back on track finish that part then rinse and repeat, so tell me again, how is this like their single player games? I'm pretty sure in Mass Effect you could skip all those quests and continue on in the story unhindered for the entire game.

I came to this game being told it's KotOR 3-12 and that Story is the major part of the game, then i got told you could play it exactly like any of their other RPG games, apparently this is not as true as they would like to claim it is.

But again, this is just one gripe i have about the game, it doesn't make me love it any less though, although having said that, if something could be done to make this in-between class quest grind less extreme, I'd be much happier.
^

That's the main problem I have - they promised story driven immersion and then introduced a component that significantly took away from that promise - a component that actually wasn't even necessary in an MMO