Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Revan (novel) - sad & feeling slightly empty

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Revan (novel) - sad & feeling slightly empty

randalthorr
01.09.2012 , 06:01 AM | #31
Spoiler
“Equality is a chain, like obedience. Like fear or uncertainty or self doubt.”
-Darth Bane

Australia

Macheath
01.09.2012 , 08:04 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Omnitheo View Post
Too bad the story and lore forums is filled with endless topics about datacron locations...

As far as Revan goes, The same writer who created him for KoTOR, wrote the Revan book, and wrote his story throughout this game as well. You can't accuse Bioware of ruining their own character. He is theirs to do with as they please.

Revan's fate is far cooler than simply dying of old age. What more do you people want?
edit: I suppose spoiler tags are in order.

Spoiler

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

wrong_turn
01.09.2012 , 10:01 AM | #33
I was really disapointed by the book. The end just comes out of nowhere. From the way the book started it looked like there was going to be this fun jaunt around the galaxy. But no. I would have preferred the Revan story play out in the game. Because now after reading the book and learning his fate it makes the missions in the game feel a little empty.

Spoiler
€ịị◚◚◚◚ịịịị7▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀) A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. -Master Yoda CE

Kedan
01.11.2012 , 03:32 PM | #34
I felt like the book was terribly paced and should have been titled "Star Wars: Lord Scourge".

It just wasn't a very good book, but, based on the author, I wasn't expecting it to be.

Drew makes decent overall plots for video games, but consistently falls down when it comes to the details, and all of his books have been 'meh' at best.

Midasear
01.11.2012 , 03:45 PM | #35
Considering how epic the story arc's are for Revan and the Exile are in KOTOR I &II, their fate in the book does seem kind of anti-climactic.

And frankly, the book's Revan seems a lot more wimpy than I always imagined him. He doesn't feel like the guy who charged through an army of Dark Jedi to destroy the Star Forge. Of course, by the time the novel starts, the poor man really _has_ been through a lot. Maybe he was just beaten down. Lost sanity points ala "Call of Cthulu".....

Kyriosgundam
01.11.2012 , 03:46 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by wilmera View Post
Oh I remember reading that part, sure....

But you're interpreting Scourge's visions just like he was.... that they were absolutely certain. Revan told him, just like Yoda to Luke "Always in motion, the future is."

There was no absolute way of knowing if Scourge was seeing the absolute future. He felt that he knew all possible outcomes, I don't think that a dark sider would be THAT attuned to the force. Even Scourge commented (on some page in the book I don't remember) that there was no use for dark side prophets, because most dark siders were consumed by their anger, hatred, etc.

I just think Scourge was having a brush with BOTH sides of the force, saw the potential for its use, and then like all true dark siders, felt.... "hey, I instantly got this future vision thing down!"
I think you might want to read about what happened to Scourge at the end of the book again. Yes he saw the vision of a Jedi Champion killing the Emperor and that the only way for it to come to pass was that Meetra had to die. Scourge knew that they would fail if he didnt make the choice that he did. He also went throught the immortality ritual so he could enshure that he would be there to see his vision become reality. So even though I didnt approve of Scourge's methods I think your selling him short. Also if it wasnt for Meetra dieing and then using her essence to strengthen Revan the Emperor would have attacked 300 years sooner than he did. So in reality Scourge's actions paved the way for the Emperor's downfall. I may not like the character as a whole too well but I think alot of people are selling him short.
"The Ability to speak does not make you intelligent"-Qui-Gon
"Much to learn you still have"-Yoda
"Impressive......Most Impressive"-Darth Vader
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes"-Obi-Wan

Kyriosgundam
01.11.2012 , 03:53 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by randalthorr View Post
Spoiler
I could be wrong but I think the Belsavis flashpoint is close to this. I mean I have only seen it from the Sith side however I know the republic side is virtually identical. Where BOTH sides have to keep an ancient evil left over from the Rakata's Infinite Empire from breaking free and running loose in the Galaxy. The Indomitable One I believe the enemy is called. You might want to check out the info on this but like I said I could be very wrong.

Kyriosgundam
01.11.2012 , 03:56 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Kedan View Post
I felt like the book was terribly paced and should have been titled "Star Wars: Lord Scourge".

It just wasn't a very good book, but, based on the author, I wasn't expecting it to be.

Drew makes decent overall plots for video games, but consistently falls down when it comes to the details, and all of his books have been 'meh' at best.
Heres a question just exactly how many of his books have you actually read? I mean yes Revan could have been better, however Drew's Darth Bane Trilogy is top notch and the 2 Mass Effect books he wrote were great as well.

WhoDaresWins
01.11.2012 , 05:32 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by randalthorr View Post
Spoiler
You mean like Obi-Wan? Oh, wait.

He's dead as a doornail. The closest you're going to get is him coming back as a force ghost some point to give the Republic a nudge in the right direction, but otherwise he is not getting up again.

To me it felt like BioWare only included him personally to give the fanboys something to chew on. "Here is Revan, now you have him and now he's dead. Sucks to be you. Lets get on with The Old Republic...
The Imperial Inquisition

A EU Heavy RP Imperial Guild
"Death to the Emperor's enemies"

Sabster
01.11.2012 , 05:51 PM | #40
I loved the ending - my first thought was "HOLY CRAP!" and then the "reward"... It was an awesome book.