Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Colicoid War Games

01.06.2012 , 10:34 PM | #11
Ah, that was quick, sorta like a godwin a troll statement about 'you're a casual'

Did I say the overall difficulty needed reduced? Nerf the mobs or buff the cannons? No. Neither thing was said so rather then throw personal insults just cut those things out of your post.

Instructions of some sort are certainly needed, and fire control to actually have some control besides spinning around.

A few times I'd aim at one of the ranged ones and it would get a shot at me before the cannon even began to fire, whereas if I actually HAD CONTROL of what I was doing, I could've preempted it and likely have killed the thing before it got more shots off.

The main issue I have is it is an initial event with no details given, then you're EXTREMELY limited in what you can actually do to manage the event in a meaningful way. If you follow the spirit of the event you're more likely to fail then if you abuse it to a degree with the healer and flipped cannon method.

More control and instruction would solve this. While it does diminish the difficulty of the event for some (those who actually know what control means) it would also make it more enjoyable and they could possibly even increase the mobs or somesuch to compensate and make intelligent target picking more important (or make them take an extra shot or two if you are controlling and know what you're in for to any degree)
ಠ_ರೃ Yes, quite, indeed old bean.

01.06.2012 , 11:03 PM | #12
I agree that they really didn't give a good explanation. There's a difference between letting players figure out something for themselves, and just leaving information out expecting them to know as if they beta tested. Wiping because of something that was a surprise is fine, but when you wipe because the game doesn't give you instructions is something else. The game has a good built in method of giving players instructions, the codex system. It's like they just assumed that people would know what to do, or they didn't want to give instructions to add difficulty to it, but that's not the kind of difficulty you want to add.

I don't want to get off topic, but I didn't really expect to get much instruction. The game itself doesn't really explain everything. You're left to figure out many things yourself. Like I said it's not a bad thing to let players figure stuff out, but in some places it just comes off as lazy by not giving instructions.

01.06.2012 , 11:04 PM | #13
Speaking for myself, I absolutely don't want a faceroll dungeon that can be cleared by four people with mild retardation in less than 30 minutes. I do want to feel like I'm fighting the mobs/mechanics and not the interface/design. We passed the turret event on our third try by doing exactly what someone else suggested, which is have the healer chill in the middle while three others take care of the enemies. I fully agree however that the four turret setup strongly implies that four turrets should be used. Additionally, I was spamming left click for a while thinking that was fire (Right click dismounts, left doesn't), but discovering that when I fired was at least partially out of my control didn't make the experience more fun. The auto-fire just isn't that quick or smart.
I just figure that every time someone dies and it's not me, my odds of survival go up. ~Jack

01.07.2012 , 12:57 AM | #14
I love content that is challenging and forces you to adapt. I have grown weary of the perfection so many try to achieve when running content. If you don't do it perfect people rage quit. If you wipe people rage quit. It is silly and ridiculous. This flashpoint involves a lot of adaptation which is awesome. I agree wholeheartedly that a lack of instruction on the turret part is a huge issue. The puzzle part is excellent along with the rest of the flashpoint. Add some instruction to the first part and this flashpoint will be ideal!
Click here for my modest referral.

01.07.2012 , 01:14 AM | #15
If the intended solution to the fight is to use only three turrets, then there should be only three turrets.

Expecting that encounter design be intelligent and intuitive is not the same thing as wanting it to be face roll easy. Specifically designing an encounter to make people think they have to do something other than what the actual solution is is just jerking people around, and only compounds the frustration of Dumb Vehicle Fights, which people already tend to loathe since they ask you to throw aside everything you've learned about playing your character to that point.

I'm with the OP in that I want hard encounters that are actually hard, not ones that are simply difficult as a consequence of being poorly thought-out.

If you actually enjoy counter-intuitive game design, I suggest turning your keyboard over on its face, unplugging your mouse, and trying to play the game that way. That would take real skill to play, right?

01.07.2012 , 03:15 AM | #16
I agree wholeheartedly.

This flashpoint is a collection of gimmicks that frustrate people who don't know how they work, and bore people who do. They contain a short and unrewarding learning curve of mechanical nuances that is not granted to any other part of the game.

Don't do more forced vehicle mechanics Bioware.

01.07.2012 , 04:18 AM | #17
Colicoid is awesome, and if you pull your head from betwixt your loins you might actually figure out how to use the cannons. It's so simple a Geico customer could do it. Seriously. Aim. It fires for you. Move your mouse so you shoot the ranged bugs. Then kill the slow mele bugs. When the big guys come out, make sure they die, but still make sure the ranged bugs die.

Soooo hard.

I've done this FP 8-10 times now across two characters and haven't seen my turret "bug out" even once. Every group I run with, there's some Einstein that can't grasp the simple concept that fast aiming + NOT PRESSING ANYTHING = success.

Second phase of Colicoid is AWESOME.

Third phase is a standard boss. Free loot for all!

01.07.2012 , 04:22 AM | #18
I'm in agreement with this thread poster, I didn't enjoy it whatsoever and the rewards at the end are totally not worth it. Just boring and annoying, I tried my first operation (8 man) yesterday too and that was so badly designed, terrible mechanics and many wipes. I am becoming more disillusioned with this game every day.

01.07.2012 , 04:33 AM | #19
The turret system is terrible. I would much rather be able to fire them myself like mounted weapons in a first-person shooter (that's what I expected). If nothing else, at least make it more obvious how they work and harder to dismount yourself accidentally.

01.07.2012 , 05:33 AM | #20
My only gripe with the turrets is if you move you get off the turret. Lock the character in place and have a dismount button PLEASE, that is all.