Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Phoenixblight
01.07.2012 , 06:55 PM | #501
Quote: Originally Posted by Venares View Post
Try that without ALT+TAB'ing out of the game and you will get a drasticly differnt result.
I did. How do you think I loaded the game and then ran the program? There is no other way unless I have dual screen which I don't. You just need a new card. My 460 GTX is laughing at it.

I have also another program that tracks this type of info and it gives the same results. SO...

Angelshooter
01.07.2012 , 06:56 PM | #502
This thread has surpassed 50 pages and still no response from bw.

Cicatrize
01.07.2012 , 06:57 PM | #503
Quote: Originally Posted by Angelshooter View Post
This thread has surpassed 50 pages and still no response from bw.
And this is but one of countless threads on the issue.

LGalucard
01.07.2012 , 07:05 PM | #504
i really doubt we will get any response before Monday but is important we keep this alive and show them our continuous frustration and discontent about this issue. If we let it go now it will never get fixed.

If they had any goodwill towards fixing this issue it would be on know issues already or we would have had a response to one of the countless threads discussing this very problem.

Venares
01.07.2012 , 07:07 PM | #505
Quote: Originally Posted by Phoenixblight View Post
I did. How do you think I loaded the game and then ran the program? There is no other way unless I have dual screen which I don't. You just need a new card. My 460 GTX is laughing at it.

I have also another program that tracks this type of info and it gives the same results. SO...
Fair enough.
Just seems very odd that your GPU usage is almost 0.
I'm on Republic Fleet atm and im geting 60-75% usage

shyofday
01.07.2012 , 07:08 PM | #506
Bioware's support has shown nothing but negatives to everyone.. It really need to change or i think alot of peolle are just gonna give up on it all..

lets give the star wars fans a good game and not listen to what anyone has to say.. they dont care about the community.. obviously.

there fixing what they want to "FIX" if thats what there even doing.. there way of doing everything is just backwards

IMO Bioware should have stayed with Mass Effect.. give a real MMO company the right to make a game thats not failing in the first few weeks

Gaff
01.07.2012 , 07:09 PM | #507
It is more than a little insulting if they are labeling the medium resolution textures as high resolution on purpose.
"You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

LGalucard
01.07.2012 , 07:11 PM | #508
Quote: Originally Posted by Gaff View Post
It is more than a little insulting if they are labeling the medium resolution textures as high resolution on purpose.
i wonder if they really think people wont notice?

VicScotia
01.07.2012 , 07:12 PM | #509
BioWare is caught between a rock and a hard place.

The engine that they are using is scaleable...to a point, its also real time updateable...to a point.

The mistake they done was include the high res textures in a game engine which is already one of the most poorly optimized pile of code thats been out for a long time. Sure, it helps them make content much faster, it optimizes as it goes but the engine literally chokes a mid to upper mid graphics card, the cards will run the game, but at the expense of the vast majority of the cards cores (cuda etc) running at 100% or close to 100% at all times, the engine itself is fine, but the render part of the engine has had problems from day one. It's why theres been reports of cards already heating up a lot, and thats just it on mid.

Now, on to the problem at hand. The high res textures are there, embedded into the games core data files. We know it, BioWare knows it.

One solution to all of this would be to have a simple extra setting in the graphics options...name it "High Resolution". BioWare are probably worried though of the outside chance that it might literally fry someones graphics card and BW would be held responsible...this is where BioWare can then have a pop up that will show the second someone chooses High Resolution that simply says...

"Although the High Resolution setting improves the graphical quality of the game, BiooWare, LucasArts and Electronic Arts must remind players that this setting will severely overwork older and some newer graphics cards"

...or something along those lines...

I've been out of the game dev industry for a long time...but from my friends who have worked with the engine BW have worked with, for the praise it gets, theirs a LOT of criticism...mainly about the render engine part of it. Sure its been in the finalist slot for game engine of the year for two years in a row...but there aint really much competition out there for what the Hero engine actually does.

Venares
01.07.2012 , 07:16 PM | #510
Quote: Originally Posted by LGalucard View Post
i wonder if they really think people wont notice?
Unfortunatly its been my experience that most big corporations think there customers are all idiots.