Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Terranullis
01.06.2012 , 04:50 PM | #21
Didn't realise the difference...I feel gimped.

teabags
01.06.2012 , 04:54 PM | #22
i've said for a while the textures/graphics should be better in this game. Hopefully before too long they will be..im going to play out the rest of my "free" paid for month, i'll see how i feel after that

Improv-
01.06.2012 , 05:02 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by teabags View Post
i've said for a while the textures/graphics should be better in this game. Hopefully before too long they will be..im going to play out the rest of my "free" paid for month, i'll see how i feel after that
Yeah if it's not fixed before then I'll wait for a fix before re-subbing.

Kraith
01.06.2012 , 05:02 PM | #24
I know how you all feel. Last year i built my current rig for this game alone. $1400 was put into this system because I thought the game was going to be released last spring. I expected to be able to play the game on high 8xAA full shadows ect ect with no problems. At the moment, I have everything on high and maxed and my in card controls I maxed everything out as well. Not much changed after doing so. But even though this is the case and the game is not being dislplayed in HD on my brand NEW 24in LED 1080P 120hrz HD TV, I know in time BW will get this fixed and I will be able to then enjoy the game in full maxed Hi-res HD. So, I am willing to give BW time to fix the more important issues first. But like most of you, graphics are one of the most important aspects of a game to me. But still, I will give them time.

But there is a big difference between low settings and the highest this game currently allows.

I installed this game on my Laptop with is only a AMD Atholon (2x) 2.2 ghz cpu, 4gb ram, and some ATI 4450 intergrated GPU (that is pathetic). All settings are set to low with shadows ect turned off and I get about 7-18 FPS. When I compare my laptop to my desktop, the game is instantly night and day. The quality of textures and detail with in the game on my DT are amazing. When you see the game on a low end system, you come to appreciate what you have on a high end system.

My Desk top

AMD 1075T 6x 3.2 Ghz *(no OC), 8 GB of veng ram, 1tb HDD, PNY GTX 460 1gb GPU (just add a second 460 SLI yesterday) and Win 7 64bit (Ult). My rig is not even current by idursty standards but when I compare my laptop to my Desk Top, booom no comparison. My DT runs teh game on maxed ingame and in card settings around 50-72 FPS no matter where I am (warzones, flashpoints, fleet, on the ground, in space ect ect) its always stays between 50-72.

All I am trying to say, if you can veiw the game on med or semi/some what/slightly lower end highish settings, you are still 100x better than those who have to play it on low settings.

GumBoil
01.06.2012 , 05:05 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by dexvx View Post
So what? We have to re-install the game to get high-res textures?
As far as I can tell there are no high res textures.

Phoenixblight
01.06.2012 , 05:06 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Adelbert View Post
So, this is what the game looks like all the time:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...010419385.jpg/

And this is when you click on your holo terminal, just for 0,5 secs:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...010419390.jpg/

So yeah, somehow high-res textures are already in-game, but no way to use them outside cutscenes.
Hate to break the news to you but thats not high res textures. Thats just lighting, the textures are the same but the lighting allows it to go more in detail. This was already broken down in another thread.

Improv-
01.06.2012 , 05:08 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Phoenixblight View Post
Hate to break the news to you but thats not high res textures. Thats just lighting, the textures are the same but the lighting allows it to go more in detail. This was already broken down in another thread.
The detail in the armor design is clearly higher res that is not just lighting. Lighting system isn't going to make the armor look more detailed...the textures look much nicer.

Awarain
01.06.2012 , 05:09 PM | #28
If you want to feel even more gimp just go look at the screenshots that bioware posts in media section of their website!

mrache
01.06.2012 , 05:12 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Mannic View Post
For many people this game barely runs smoothly with the textures in the game now. You really think BW wants to risk more QQ by putting hi-res textures into the game and then having people figure out it drops them to 12 FPS? I'm not saying no one will be able to run them but putting them in the game now will just exacerbate the perception that this game is poorly coded. I'd say leave them out until they fix whatever flaws are making the lower-res version run like crap on so many systems.
I hit 12 fps with the crappy textures. I hit past a one hundred with the crappy textures. Its random and its lousy coding. This tells me that the game coding sucks. Also using QQ is lame wow terminology. Wich tells me your from wow wich tells me your opinion dosen't matter in the least.

Harower
01.06.2012 , 05:14 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Phoenixblight View Post
Wrong, I recorded a video of it.

The difference is mind boggling.

http://youtu.be/5WYWQ6HlYmA?hd=1
Best swtor picture EVER!!!
http://imgur.com/zgTKy
Mass effect 3 summed up in a single picture
http://i.imgur.com/xDaDH.jpg