Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Caonimah
01.06.2012 , 04:12 PM | #11
They actually have acknowledged this as problem in one of the many many threads about this topic already.

Mannic
01.06.2012 , 04:13 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Improv- View Post
Why? Why punish those who can run the game. If it wasn't a setting in the first place then we wouldn't be complaining. But it is.

It would be like if DICE decided to make Ultra textures in BF3 not do anything because some people will cry about not being able to run the game.

They shouldn't leave them out because a few people are going to cry about it.

I understand the game has FPS issues even for those with high end rigs and that sucks. But for those of us who have no FPS issues we shouldn't be punished and miss out on a graphic setting, the most important one for that matter even though it's IN the game because of a few others. At the moment the textures aren't "okay" looking. In game they are flat out disgusting for many armor sets and game areas and it's something you'd expect from a game made in 2005.
Because the problem isn't solely related to hardware. There are people with beastly machines who can't get the game to run smoothly and there are people running machines barely above the minimum specs who (so they claim) are having no issues at all. The game obviously has its problems with certain hardware configurations that have nothing to do with the relative power of that hardware but are related to something else like drivers, bios versions or memory management.

Until the game runs in a way one might expect given the relative power of a machine, Bioware's just going to create more problems for themselves by putting in hi-res textures. Because the guy sitting on an SLI machine clocked to 4 GHZ with 16 GIGS of performance RAM isn't going to be happy when his machine can only run the game at 12 FPS with hi-res textures while some dude with a dual-core and a 460 is running at 60 FPS. It's just going to exacerbate the "Bioware can't code" complaints.

imtrick
01.06.2012 , 04:14 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Adelbert View Post
So, please Bioware, can we get a clarification on this? Does this mean that if we reinstall the game using the online installer, we will get high resolution textures everytime and not only during dialog cutscenes?

If not, any ETA on when the high resolution textures bug will be fixed?

Thanks in advance for answering this confusive situation.
What you quoted has nothing to do with high-res textures being available or not. It's actually pretty clear about the issue they fixed. I'd try to restate it another way but I doubt anything I said could be any clearer.

The fix was that settings were not being saved correctly, as the note explains. That's all it was.
Taint & Rough Trade - tart.enjin.com
------Casual and Hard-Core, 18+ GLBT Sith & Republic Guilds------
Part of the game-spanning Rough Trade Gaming Community

Improv-
01.06.2012 , 04:16 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Mannic View Post
Because the problem isn't solely related to hardware. There are people with beastly machines who can't get the game to run smoothly. The game obviously has its problems with certain hardware configurations that have nothing to do with the relative power of that hardware but are related to something else like drivers, bios versions or memory management.

Until the game runs in a way one might expect given the relative power of a machine, Bioware's just going to create more problems for themselves by putting in hi-res textures. Because the guy sitting on an SLI machine clocked to 4 GHZ with 16 GIGS of performance RAM isn't going to be happy when his machine can only run the game at 12 FPS with hi-res textures while some dude with a dual-core and a 460 is running at 60 FPS. It's just going to exacerbate the "Bioware can't code" complaints.
I understand what you mean and I agree. It really sucks for those with high end rigs having FPS problems.

However, it's not as if the entire programming studio is going to be working on this issue and not fixing the FPS issues. If this is something they can fix now they should just do it for those who can run the game properly. Again, I feel for those who have the rigs to max this game out but can't I have been there with other games and it pisses you off when you spend 800 bucks on GPU's alone and a game doesn't run the way it should.

The other thing is Bioware has already stated this is fixed by re-applying your settings. But it doesn't do anything. Now we are supposed to reinstall the game? I am doing it right now and if it doesn't work man I'm gonna be really annoyed.

I'm on disc 3 atm wish me luck.

Quote: Originally Posted by imtrick View Post
What you quoted has nothing to do with high-res textures being available or not. It's actually pretty clear about the issue they fixed. I'd try to restate it another way but I doubt anything I said could be any clearer.

The fix was that settings were not being saved correctly, as the note explains. That's all it was.
Pleae clarify what you mean by this.

The way I understand it is that the settings you were choosing were not being displayed in game. What other issue can this be? If settings were not being saved correctly then the in game graphics weren't what you set it as correct? So if this is now fixed then the game should properly show you the settings you chose, IE: High textures.

Here read this:

"If you installed prior to 5:00AM CST on January 4th, 2012, your graphics will display as "Low" even if actual in-game settings are higher due to automatic preference detection.
Workaround: Your graphics setting will display properly once modified and saved.

Workaround: Individual preferences will display properly once modified and saved. "

"your graphics display as "Low" even if actual in-game settings are higher"

Adelbert
01.06.2012 , 04:33 PM | #15
So, this is what the game looks like all the time:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...010419385.jpg/

And this is when you click on your holo terminal, just for 0,5 secs:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...010419390.jpg/

So yeah, somehow high-res textures are already in-game, but no way to use them outside cutscenes.

ShotByBothSides
01.06.2012 , 04:34 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyTexan View Post
Wanna see something funny.

Stand at your intercom on your ship. Zoom in close to your character. Click the intercom

Vioala!!! For .5 seconds you have high res textures for your armor!

BioWare trolled us with the textures in this game and they have yet to own up to the fact they are missing features from a shipped product that have representations in the game.
You should all try this, the differences for your entire character, gear and face, are quite astounding. Shame not to be able to use high res as a norm, I now feel cheated.

daMarek
01.06.2012 , 04:38 PM | #17
I was gonna indulge in hi-res textures, but I took an EA in the knee

Improv-
01.06.2012 , 04:40 PM | #18
K, reinstalled and no difference. Don't bother.

Now that I saw how it's supposed to look (from the holo-terminal) I'm gonna take a break from the game because I am really missing out here. I am hoping Tuesday's big patch fixes it...

Daemonjax
01.06.2012 , 04:40 PM | #19
On high, the game uses ~256mb of texture memory... (actually, 360 with triple buffering and edge detect AA).

Can anyone else confirm? Thanks.

Improv-
01.06.2012 , 04:42 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Daemonjax View Post
On high, the game uses ~256mb of texture memory... (actually, 360 with triple buffering and edge detect AA).

Can anyone else confirm? Thanks.
I can't tell you what the exact number is atm but for me medium and high used the same amount of VRAM.