Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

CommanderAlpha
01.06.2012 , 10:41 PM | #121
Im not sure if anyone knows about this, as I didnt bother reading through all the pages, but...

If you're on Vista/Windows 7, I have a possible solution that worked for me!

Basically, set your launcher.exe and the actual swtor.exe's compatibilities to Windows XP Service Pack 3. Now everything looks better in game and RUNS better too.

AlbertXP
01.06.2012 , 10:43 PM | #122
I've been playing on max settings for weeks, never noticed anything suspicious. The high/medium thing i guess was a leftover as they only have 2 settings in 1.1.

I noticed chars are more detailed in cutscenes but THATS NORMAL in games. If everyone would look mega detailed the imperial fleet would be a lag-fest.

ThePersianGamer
01.06.2012 , 10:44 PM | #123
Fix this nao!!!!!!
i7 3.1 extreme, Crossfire 6990m 2gb ATI 8gb of ram and a sweet *** M18x Alienware body to wrap it in.

Stevegasm
01.06.2012 , 10:46 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Aisar View Post
Wow you live in a seriously crazy fantasy world. You need a reality check and I mean that in the nicest way possible ^^
Though I agree that the game should be completely finished and so on upon release. The reality of it is, with the MMO, they never have enough time. The main reason is time and money. You can only finance a project for so long before it just either has to come out, or you cancel it altogether. This happened to Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Not saying I like it, but I understand why games in this genre come out incomplete.

There is also the question of timing. WoW is in a decline with enough people leaving to support a few MMOs (yeah, I realize they currently have 10million subs, which is down by 2mil, but a decline it still is). MoP is also due out sometime this year, and a good number people are tired of Cata. The period before an xpac is when WoW is at it's most frail. EA had to strike with TOR now in order to take advantage of this, whether or not SWTOR was completely finished.

EA can draw on WAR to fully understand why timing is important. That game came out just two months before WotLK (which looked amazing for the time) after a well loved xpac, and WAR got pretty much destroyed. SWTOR is coming out with enough time to iron out the kinks, in between it's least popular xpac, and before an xpac that is showing more early disappointment by players than any other (if anything, it has people more divided between love and hate for it).

PS. Yes, I do know about the 'vocal minority' and so on, but that minority seems bigger and louder than before, so there may be some weight to it.

Aisar
01.06.2012 , 10:48 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by AlbertXP View Post
I've been playing on max settings for weeks, never noticed anything suspicious. The high/medium thing i guess was a leftover as they only have 2 settings in 1.1.

I noticed chars are more detailed in cutscenes but THATS NORMAL in games. If everyone would look mega detailed the imperial fleet would be a lag-fest.
Which would then be a problem on their end. They never came up with a good solution to the problems they created from day one so they have to dumb down the game >.>

What about instancing? Is this not suppose to significantly reduce lag and load on us by putting people into a second "world" once the first becomes full? There are things in place to solve the problem you described.

They simply botched it.
28 Iksar Shadowknight-Freeport Server
"No killing white poobears to make band-aids out of poobear tails."-CygnusMX
http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/swtor...nowhere/#b5414

Oddzball
01.06.2012 , 10:49 PM | #126
Ive been complaining about this SINCE JULY. Yep thats how long textures have been broke. They USED to work, then they broke, and not ONCE have they ever said anything about fixing them.

The game ran just fine on high textures.

I mean seriously, look at this texture, its laughable. See her pants? Completely horrible. As an artist I would be ashamed to see that texture quality in my game. I made better looking textures for Quake 3 then that.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...010322113.jpg/

Point is they have completely ignored pretty much any discussion about the texture being broken since the last Dev QA. Its like they have no interest in it.

imtrick
01.06.2012 , 10:50 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Adelbert View Post
So, 4 pages and no Bioware response.

Great.
You must be new here.
Taint & Rough Trade - tart.enjin.com
------Casual and Hard-Core, 18+ GLBT Sith & Republic Guilds------
Part of the game-spanning Rough Trade Gaming Community

MaxWham
01.06.2012 , 10:53 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by AlbertXP View Post

Yep Bioware is treating us like scum, allowing to see those "hi textures" in cutscenes and preventing from playing 'em! Thats outrageous i say! 'Cos RPG is all about characters for a lot of players, and I just dont want to pay money and see a bloody mess, where my char is supposed to be!!! FIX IT !!!!!!! NOW!

Oddzball
01.06.2012 , 10:56 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by MaxWham View Post
Yep Bioware is treating us like scum, allowing to see those "hi textures" in cutscenes and preventing from playing 'em! Thats outrageous i say! 'Cos RPG is all about characters for a lot of players, and I just dont want to pay money and see a bloody mess, where my char is supposed to be!!! FIX IT !!!!!!! NOW!
THey arent that bad but seriously, the game used to run with high res textures just fine. THEY BROKE IT, but refuse to give us any information on it.

Notice that they changed the UI settings to only give you two options in the new patch but they DIDNT LIST it in the patch notes. Hrmmm I wonder about that.

Aisar
01.06.2012 , 10:58 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by Oddzball View Post
THey arent that bad but seriously, the game used to run with high res textures just fine. THEY BROKE IT, but refuse to give us any information on it.

Notice that they changed the UI settings to only give you two options in the new patch but they DIDNT LIST it in the patch notes. Hrmmm I wonder about that.
Most intelligent move they could have made tbh. If they can't fix it (which obviously they cannot) then you need to remove the problem altogether.

Problem solved. Good night everyone!
28 Iksar Shadowknight-Freeport Server
"No killing white poobears to make band-aids out of poobear tails."-CygnusMX
http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/swtor...nowhere/#b5414