Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

eXPOSITUS's Avatar


eXPOSITUS
01.08.2012 , 09:39 PM | #1061
The textures in SWTOR are so good I'm going to rewatch all the movies like this.

BearBreaker's Avatar


BearBreaker
01.08.2012 , 09:39 PM | #1062
This wouldn't be as big of an issue if it didn't seem like they were trying so hard to hide it. If anything they should remove High from the dropdown menu with just low medium showing and simply fess up to the fact that high testures are unavailable at this time.

Unruhe's Avatar


Unruhe
01.08.2012 , 09:40 PM | #1063
Quote: Originally Posted by WarheartZero View Post
You can see the high textures by previewing gear on your companion, jesus. You don't need to waste time on the holo switch to get screen shots.
You can get much clearer pictures from the holo, though, because you have control over the camera and zoom. It's one thing to show a blurry, smallish paper doll and then a crisp, high rez paper doll, and then it's another thing to show a giant soupy mess and then a closeup of the "correct" texturing.

Not to mention that the player's gear preview is (shockingly) even lower-res than the in-game render, so you'd have to compare your in-game render to the companion preview window, and seeing as how some folks still insist the whole mess is all because of lighting, we really can't afford to base our comparison shots off of two separate sources.

Aisar's Avatar


Aisar
01.08.2012 , 09:41 PM | #1064
Quote: Originally Posted by BeeblesTV View Post
How will it not matter? The issue still exists. This thread isn't going anywhere, and this issue will be addressed unless Bioware wants to lose subscriptions.

It boggles my mind why anyone would actually be AGAINST bringing the high-res textures from beta back. People who take this stance must just be trying to get a rise out of others.
I am not againts bringing back high-res textures. I know exactly why they were taken out and I am knowledgable enough to understand the reasons behind it. I have a system that displays normal graphics just fine (only slightly worse quality then cutscenes) and I think it looks great.

So your choice is to either unsubscribe, like a lot of us have done, or deal with it. BW decided to completely remove the high res textures option for a reason. They do not do things like that unless it cannot be fixed, it cannot be fixed anytime soon, or they are intentionally changing the way the graphics in the game work.

Pretty simple really....
28 Iksar Shadowknight-Freeport Server
"No killing white poobears to make band-aids out of poobear tails."-CygnusMX
http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/swtor...nowhere/#b5414

BeeblesTV's Avatar


BeeblesTV
01.08.2012 , 09:41 PM | #1065
Quote: Originally Posted by BearBreaker View Post
This wouldn't be as big of an issue if it didn't seem like they were trying so hard to hide it. If anything they should remove High from the dropdown menu with just low medium showing and simply fess up to the fact that high testures are unavailable at this time.
THis is the biggest thing for me. We need an official answer on this, not some cryptic patch that changed medium to high. We're not daft.

Quote: Originally Posted by Aisar View Post
I am not againts bringing back high-res textures. I know exactly why they were taken out and I am knowledgable enough to understand the reasons behind it. I have a system that displays normal graphics just fine (only slightly worse quality then cutscenes) and I think it looks great.

So your choice is to either unsubscribe, like a lot of us have done, or deal with it. BW decided to completely remove the high res textures option for a reason. They do not do things like that unless it cannot be fixed, it cannot be fixed anytime soon, or they are intentionally changing the way the graphics in the game work.

Pretty simply really....
If you are so knowledgeable, enlighten us. Otherwise please vacate the thread.

Aisar's Avatar


Aisar
01.08.2012 , 09:44 PM | #1066
Quote: Originally Posted by BeeblesTV View Post
THis is the biggest thing for me. We need an official answer on this, not some cryptic patch that changed medium to high. We're not daft.



If you are so knowledgeable, enlighten us. Otherwise please vacate the thread.
I have replies on 50 of the 107 pages of this thread. Try looking lol.
28 Iksar Shadowknight-Freeport Server
"No killing white poobears to make band-aids out of poobear tails."-CygnusMX
http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/swtor...nowhere/#b5414

eskachig's Avatar


eskachig
01.08.2012 , 09:45 PM | #1067
Quote: Originally Posted by Aisar View Post
Good thing beta is a place where nothing is permenant >.> Also I think they can test pretty much anything they want in beta..
I develop software for a living, I know how the beta process works - it's not a "hey wouldn't it be great if..." phase. If they were in the beta, they were supposed to be in the game. If they were taken out prior to release, most likely it means that they couldn't work something out before the release date, or they couldn't get acceptable performance on a recommended-spec machine (with this particular issue, this is more likely). It also means that it's quite possible to bring them back, even if only uber-machines will get good framerates.

BeeblesTV's Avatar


BeeblesTV
01.08.2012 , 09:45 PM | #1068
Quote: Originally Posted by Aisar View Post
I have replies on 50 of the 107 threads. Try looking lol.
No thanks, if you have some information that the rest of us aren't privy to then you can post it here to make your point. Otherwise you're just wasting time.

Dubabob's Avatar


Dubabob
01.08.2012 , 09:46 PM | #1069
Quote: Originally Posted by BeeblesTV View Post
THis is the biggest thing for me. We need an official answer on this, not some cryptic patch that changed medium to high. We're not daft.



If you are so knowledgeable, enlighten us. Otherwise please vacate the thread.
Precisely, if it simply isn't technically possible anytime soon, then say so, but don't treat us like idiots. Relationship between player and dev is incredibly important in an MMO. Those of you who accept it, and feel Bioware doesn't owe us a single word on it, are the reason that MMOs degrade in quality. How else are we to hold them accountable? They have to think of customers as share holders, because we are giving you a constant stream of money. If they treat this like any old product, sell it to me, and not worry about the after because they got my money, then they don't deserve my sub.
Survivor of the 9/29/11 E-mail massacre.

Abruptum's Avatar


Abruptum
01.08.2012 , 09:46 PM | #1070
Quote: Originally Posted by Aisar View Post
I am not againts bringing back high-res textures. I know exactly why they were taken out and I am knowledgable enough to understand the reasons behind it. I have a system that displays normal graphics just fine (only slightly worse quality then cutscenes) and I think it looks great.

So your choice is to either unsubscribe, like a lot of us have done, or deal with it. BW decided to completely remove the high res textures option for a reason. They do not do things like that unless it cannot be fixed, it cannot be fixed anytime soon, or they are intentionally changing the way the graphics in the game work.

Pretty simple really....
The problem is that they're morally compelled to explain to their customers why they make a choice like that. I don't care if they don't HAVE to, they SHOULD and they're not doing it. I don't believe for a second that it's not possible, seeing as 99% of games released in the last year and even much further back have better textures than TOR. If it's a problem that is going to take forever, they need to tell us that instead of pretending it's not an issue.