Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Aisar
01.08.2012 , 08:10 PM | #1001
Lineage 2..I totally did not like it (lol)
What was that space MMO much like Eve but it was WAY more user friendly and..well it wsa basicly Eve. It totally tanked though, I think they shut down all servers like 2 years after launch.
28 Iksar Shadowknight-Freeport Server
"No killing white poobears to make band-aids out of poobear tails."-CygnusMX
http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/swtor...nowhere/#b5414

Esauru
01.08.2012 , 08:10 PM | #1002
Okay uhm... I'm going to try and explain this whole lighting issue abit.
However, This does not mean, I do not believe that there is a problem with the textures. I still sincerely believe that HIGH RES textures are missing.

Lighting does MIRACLES to your character looks fyi. Go to places such as
Nar Shadda where there are different lights and colors stand around and look
at yourself with different lights and you will notice the significant difference.
Some of the pictures from the holo do look like lighting.

However, I am very very sure cutscene characters are High Res.
I don't even think our current high is Medium..
Everyone do this, go to your friend? Or maybe find a wall so when you turn
zoom in at your own face? Or zoom in on your friend's face.
Look at the textures on his/her face.. I can list alot of MMOS with better
"medium" textures then these. I would take a screenshot of this later
when I'm home for you guys too.

Oddzball
01.08.2012 , 08:11 PM | #1003
Quote: Originally Posted by bobbyisrael View Post
.........how in the world can you still play MMO's. Half your life will be wasted away pressing buttons on a keyboard looking at a monitor screen. You don't get that time back. :-(
I WILL say very rarely did i invest more then a couple months.

I have a nice collection of Boxes though.

Only ones i invested a LOT of time in were some of the MUDs, UO, WoW, SWG, Fallen Earth Champions...

Wait youre right. Bleh.

God that makes me sad.

eskachig
01.08.2012 , 08:15 PM | #1004
Quote: Originally Posted by Esauru View Post
Lighting does MIRACLES to your character looks fyi. Go to places such as
Nar Shadda where there are different lights and colors stand around and look
at yourself with different lights and you will notice the significant difference.
Some of the pictures from the holo do look like lighting.
It's true, lighting does change things - but it doesn't remove pixellation, nor does it add detail.

Zorvan
01.08.2012 , 08:16 PM | #1005
Quote: Originally Posted by eskachig View Post
It's true, lighting does change things - but it doesn't remove pixellation, nor does it add detail.
I have found turning gamma down helps a bit.

Sure, every planet looks like it's at sunset, but it does help hide the ugliness of the textures.

Jessicayla
01.08.2012 , 08:16 PM | #1006
101 pages and no reply. We need some sort of response on this.
Unsubscribed until further notice.

Sanxion
01.08.2012 , 08:18 PM | #1007
Listen,

Why bother getting into personal disagreements with the few people here who are clearly enjoying winding you up. I don't want to read about your ego's. Also we all know that vision is relative so we all see things differently. It doesn't matter about those who don't understand what we are complaining about. There are easily enough people stating their concerns about this issue to make it not only a valid point but one that should be at or near the top of a list for an official response.

I want to read constructive discussion.

Keep it on topic and focus on what the majority of us know is a serious issue.

Just a thought but can you imagine the storm it would create if this had happened to be a triple A title FPS and the company responsible had handled it the way this has been so far?

This has the potential to go one way or the other. Either it will turn out being a prime example of how not to treat your community and a huge embarrassment for all involved which considering the material and the sheer effort and money that have gone into the development would be a crime in my book. Or as the new week is starting we will finally get an official response, explanation and who knows, maybe even an apology.

Let's maintain an equilibrium here and give them a chance to officially respond in the next day or two. If nothing happens in that time then I'm all for us escalating it and bringing it to the attention of other media sources. Although to be fair I'm sure a lot of them are already watching the situation very closely indeed.

In the meantime, in memory of the orange pixel have fun all.

Aisar
01.08.2012 , 08:19 PM | #1008
Quote: Originally Posted by bobbyisrael View Post
.........how in the world can you still play MMO's. Half your life will be wasted away pressing buttons on a keyboard looking at a monitor screen. You don't get that time back. :-(
QFT...lol

Also im pretty sure this whole graphics problem is known everywhere. It's the main complaint besides the bugs but there is not much we can say about that. They have to have at least 1 team dedicated to bugs 24/7 or they need to get on that!
28 Iksar Shadowknight-Freeport Server
"No killing white poobears to make band-aids out of poobear tails."-CygnusMX
http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/swtor...nowhere/#b5414

eskachig
01.08.2012 , 08:19 PM | #1009
Quote: Originally Posted by Jessicayla View Post
101 pages and no reply. We need some sort of response on this.
Nothing changed since 50 pages ago - it's still Sunday

BearBreaker
01.08.2012 , 08:23 PM | #1010
Just a theory here:
After taking into count the fact that companions look better than player characters makes me wonder if it's that different textures from different armor pieces don't play nice for some reason. Companions are pretty generic with only 4 or 5 styles but player characters, while not as highly customizable as some other games, have multiple other variations that could be messing up the high quality textures.

Again just a guess, the high quality textures that were there in the beta might have only worked when most ppl would have only been able to play with premade beta characters too.

But again just guessing.