Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need some help understanding Light/Dark choices

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Need some help understanding Light/Dark choices

HibashiraSakai
12.14.2011 , 02:33 AM | #1
I'm one of those who likes to RP a little, actually spend time writing the back story of each of my characters. In beta, I tried to RP a SI and ran into some issues with the Light/Dark choices and would really appreciate some insights.

I tried to model my character as a deceitful power grabber. On the surface, I'm a compliant servant of the Sith Lords. But inside, I'm looking to backstab and usurp whoever. But when I roleplay that way in the dialog, I find all the Dark side responses are about blantantly being defiant. It makes me feel like I'm playing a ditwit who don't know any better, as oppose to a smart evil person who only act when the right opportunity comes along.

On top of that, as I tried to be deceptive, I would loose point with my companion. They don't seem to understand the subtlety and only respond to open defiance.

So my main question is: Is there any way to role play the way I want as stated above? Or am I totally confused about this Light/Dark side thing?

Dradawn
12.14.2011 , 02:57 AM | #2
The light side/Dark side mechanic is meant to provide you with what would be a moral choice sometimes during your story (Ex: Kill the hostage = Dark side, Let the hostage live = light side)

now because the game cannot interpret exactly what you want your charictor to be, (in this case a person who lets people think they have a chance then steals there hopes and dreams at the last second) most of the choices are fairly black and white and do not allow much room for what the actual intentions are.

This all said however the game will attempt to make up for this by the amount of light side/dark side points you receive. for example you make a not so evil choice that allows for dark side points and you get something like 25 dark side points. But if you make a dastardly evil choice like blow up Alderan and then play a fiddle while it burns you gain 200 dark side points.

This all said though it will be difficult to actually role play anything as you wish because this is intended to work for all of the games players and not just you.

As for your partner giving you negative points for your responses thats because they are automatically set to respond positively or negatively to certain responses regardless as this is what fits in with there designed charictor.

if you want to find out what that is specifically you can always check in your directory thingy (cant remember what its called) and it will tell you exactly what this partner likes and dislikes.

Sorry for wall of text :P

Sanquind
12.14.2011 , 04:13 AM | #3
You could roleplay as a fake suck-up character. As in, you suck up to the right people (that female sith lord in the starting area for one) but then constantly go defiant and mocking against the guy that gives you assignments as 'tests'.

It's not a perfect solution, but in a game with millions of people you can't expect Bioware to cater to all options people want, and instead have to do with what you have.

DannyInternets
12.14.2011 , 09:12 AM | #4
My advice would be to pick the neutral options during the course of normal dialogue, but when it comes time to take actual action, then go with the dark side betrayals. Seems to fit the theme you're going for and will make you go dark side, albeit more slowly.

Petrus
12.14.2011 , 09:43 AM | #5
@OP Is this your first Bioware game?

If not, then you know that Bioware only gives you two choices in life:

1) Push-over hippie dripping with canned greeting card emotions
2) A total jerk

Asking Bioware to provide subtle, sophisticated interactions is like asking them to make a sandbox MMO. It's just not in them.

Sorry.

PacketBurner
12.14.2011 , 03:13 PM | #6
In KOTOR 2 i did the exact same role with my character when RP'ing it through and kreia often mentioned she approved of deception. Recently i have also seen a lot of "...(lie)" in skyrim's text quests as well so its not unheard of in games.

However i rarely remember it in bioware games especially and to be fair to them they have a history of making you choose to be a nice fluffy carebear or a total idiot who seems to bite the hand that feeds him repeated for no reason...for that reason i doubt either of us will be able to play a decietful character unless someone can answer that without spoliers.

I'm all for an additional feature to turn on a lie option to flip the light/dark side points but it would get over abused i imagine. Other mechanics like "karma" or "trustworthiness" would have to kick in somewhere in the dialog so its all very complex, and unlikely.

Anyways sorry for the wall O text and hope you find a happy medium. Personally i'm going to sacrifice darkside points for the relevant answer (starting very angry for the first few levels to keep Khem Val happy with me) and just chalk it up to that is how people see you and not as you are. I hope there are some bits later on to reward manipulating the weak to serve me but its just fingers crossed.

MareLooke
12.14.2011 , 03:41 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by PacketBurner View Post
In KOTOR 2 i did the exact same role with my character when RP'ing it through and kreia often mentioned she approved of deception. Recently i have also seen a lot of "...(lie)" in skyrim's text quests as well so its not unheard of in games.

However i rarely remember it in bioware games especially and to be fair to them they have a history of making you choose to be a nice fluffy carebear or a total idiot who seems to bite the hand that feeds him repeated for no reason...for that reason i doubt either of us will be able to play a decietful character unless someone can answer that without spoliers.

I'm all for an additional feature to turn on a lie option to flip the light/dark side points but it would get over abused i imagine. Other mechanics like "karma" or "trustworthiness" would have to kick in somewhere in the dialog so its all very complex, and unlikely.

Anyways sorry for the wall O text and hope you find a happy medium. Personally i'm going to sacrifice darkside points for the relevant answer (starting very angry for the first few levels to keep Khem Val happy with me) and just chalk it up to that is how people see you and not as you are. I hope there are some bits later on to reward manipulating the weak to serve me but its just fingers crossed.
One important thing to note is that KotOR2 was NOT made by BioWare (but by Obsidian Entertainment). KotOR1 (by Bioware) was a LOT more black and white.

HibashiraSakai
12.14.2011 , 10:12 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
@OP Is this your first Bioware game?

If not, then you know that Bioware only gives you two choices in life:

1) Push-over hippie dripping with canned greeting card emotions
2) A total jerk

Asking Bioware to provide subtle, sophisticated interactions is like asking them to make a sandbox MMO. It's just not in them.

Sorry.
That's true. ME and KoTOR were exactly the same way...

Oh well, I can dream.

Thank you all for your input!

Aunara
12.14.2011 , 11:26 PM | #9
A side question to this, does it seem that the S.I has less options for Dark/Light Side points that say a S.W.? I.E. S.W. is well over Dark level 1 but at the same level the S.I. is only at 400? There just seems to be fewer options available in the quest line. (Sorry for the side track & thanks!)

MareLooke
12.15.2011 , 01:52 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Aunara View Post
A side question to this, does it seem that the S.I has less options for Dark/Light Side points that say a S.W.? I.E. S.W. is well over Dark level 1 but at the same level the S.I. is only at 400? There just seems to be fewer options available in the quest line. (Sorry for the side track & thanks!)
This is correct if you're talking about Korriban. I'm sure that eventually it evens out and by the endgame it probably won't matter at all anymore.