Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Garick's Guide to Cantina RP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community > Roleplaying
Garick's Guide to Cantina RP

CyberCommando
01.08.2012 , 02:35 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by DuchessOfKvetch View Post
Bump for an awesome post. Should be added to any compendium of role-play tips!
Thanks I'm hoping that people will be able to at least get ideas from this guide to help them jump into Cantina RP successfully

Hydranova
01.08.2012 , 02:57 PM | #12
Pretty nifty.

Of course, occasionally you may have what looks like someone flirting but is actually about possibly some sort of conspiracy.
Char name: Karratan
Class: sith Sorceror
Race: Human (male)
Guild: The Black Mantle

CyberCommando
01.08.2012 , 09:25 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Hydranova View Post
Pretty nifty.

Of course, occasionally you may have what looks like someone flirting but is actually about possibly some sort of conspiracy.
I agree! In WoW I met a character that was actually working for an underground slave-trading market and he would begin talking as though he was flirting, and than attempt to knock them out and bring them into this horribly complex(and utterly fascinating) guild he had going on.

SisterOutsider
01.09.2012 , 10:04 AM | #14
Wonderfully written guide! Thank you for sharing it.
Achera @ Sanctum of the Exalted

TiVOs
01.09.2012 , 01:27 PM | #15
Nice guide! My fiance, who is great at Cantina/Tavern RP, says she just follows one simple guideline: where is she coming from? In other words: what was her character doing prior to entering the tavern?

It doesn't necessarily have to be literally what you were last doing. Just make something up, and act accordingly. Just ambushed by Sand People? Then maybe you limp into the cantina, ask around for the local medical center, and complain about Sand People. Just got back from traipsing around in rakghoul territory? Maybe ask the guy sittin' next to you if your skin looks green. Just arrived on the planet? Ask around for what places are best to avoid. Just got back from watching a swoop race? Talk about the results and how many credits you won betting on a certain rider.

I really think that figuring out what your character was just doing is one of the best ways to immerse yourself. It's the most realistic, after all, we all just came from somewhere.
<><
"Don't feed the trolls!" ~Proverbs 9:7-9
The Alcyon Legacy

CyberCommando
01.09.2012 , 11:20 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by TiVOs View Post
Nice guide! My fiance, who is great at Cantina/Tavern RP, says she just follows one simple guideline: where is she coming from? In other words: what was her character doing prior to entering the tavern?

It doesn't necessarily have to be literally what you were last doing. Just make something up, and act accordingly. Just ambushed by Sand People? Then maybe you limp into the cantina, ask around for the local medical center, and complain about Sand People. Just got back from traipsing around in rakghoul territory? Maybe ask the guy sittin' next to you if your skin looks green. Just arrived on the planet? Ask around for what places are best to avoid. Just got back from watching a swoop race? Talk about the results and how many credits you won betting on a certain rider.

I really think that figuring out what your character was just doing is one of the best ways to immerse yourself. It's the most realistic, after all, we all just came from somewhere.
A valid point for any RPer to take into account, for any RP situation

JoshieoPandar
01.12.2012 , 08:21 PM | #17
EDIT: wrong thread. -_-

Regardless, still a great guide. Report for sticky. =)
"Death before dishonour."
Gav Daragon - <The Sun Guard> Kojiro, Sith Juggernaut
Gav Daragon - <The Sun Guard> Asura, Sith Sorcerer

Gav Daragon - <Dawn> Krai, Jedi Shadow

DuchessOfKvetch
01.18.2012 , 10:26 AM | #18
Le bumpage. Would it be ok to request a more permanent place for some of these articles? I am sure they will eventually roll off, so linking from an external source (like a fan site) may be preferable.
EBON HAWK: "They must have put something in our water"
Visit the Ebon Hawk RP server forum www.ebon-hawk.com and our FaceBook page
Find me as: Anjela, Taloe, Sandoval (all Empire side, baby)
Bartle Score: Socializer: 87%, Explorer: 73%, Killer: 40%, Achiever: 0%

OdigTalon
01.24.2012 , 03:41 PM | #19
Some ideas to help the Cantina become a better gathering place especially on non RP servers:

1 - Fix the Juke Box so everyone hears the music that someone picks and pays for. Also the selection of tunes needs to be expanded.

2 - Add visuals showing someone taking a drink or eating while sitting at a table or at the bar?

3 - Include more seats to sit in.

4 - Add a TV screen showing a HUT Ball Game.

Odig

DuchessOfKvetch
02.01.2012 , 03:03 PM | #20
All good suggestions, though of course many folks only use the cantinas a starting point and place to observe/get to know others.
EBON HAWK: "They must have put something in our water"
Visit the Ebon Hawk RP server forum www.ebon-hawk.com and our FaceBook page
Find me as: Anjela, Taloe, Sandoval (all Empire side, baby)
Bartle Score: Socializer: 87%, Explorer: 73%, Killer: 40%, Achiever: 0%