Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How much memory is needed to run this game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
How much memory is needed to run this game?

Exactly
01.06.2012 , 12:18 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Scavenge View Post
Well I'm asking if I need more because of the extreme amount of time it takes to exit the game or to load any planet, ship, station. The game itself runs fine after the loading is done. But when I do alt tab and open up my task manager my system is normally running 746MB used for basic windows vista stuff. When the game is loaded I'm using 3.02 or 3.08GB of memory.

My DxDiag
Spoiler

Load times are mostly tied to your hard drive, you likely have a older style 5900 RPM hard drive. Upgrading to a 7200 RPM drive would make decent upgrade, but since they are really expensive right now because of flooding in taiwan an SSD (solid state drive) would be an even better purchase. SSD's change the whole feel of a PC but are expensive, a quality 120gb model will put you back around 180.00 USD.

Scavenge
01.06.2012 , 12:23 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Exactly View Post
Load times are mostly tied to your hard drive, you likely have a older style 5900 RPM hard drive. Upgrading to a 7200 RPM drive would make decent upgrade, but since they are really expensive right now because of flooding in taiwan an SSD (solid state drive) would be an even better purchase. SSD's change the whole feel of a PC but are expensive, a quality 120gb model will put you back around 180.00 USD.
my hard drive is a 7200RPM type. I had before the flooding in Taiwan. SSD is out of the question thanks for the advice though!
Leader of the Dark Imperium

Exactly
01.06.2012 , 12:31 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Scavenge View Post
my hard drive is a 7200RPM type. I had before the flooding in Taiwan. SSD is out of the question thanks for the advice though!
Hmm not sure what to tell you then. I have a relatively "cheap" HDD in a 500gb 7200 rpm seagate model and my load times are good. I really dont see how memory can affect load times at all, CPU yes but you have a i3-2100 and should not have any issues. If you are willing (and have a bit of time on your hands this weekend) i would format the PC and start fresh. I know for some people this isnt an option, but man can it make a world of difference sometimes when you are out of other options.

Sargon
01.06.2012 , 12:35 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Exactly View Post
Load times are mostly tied to your hard drive
That is what I thought too, but I have a new SSD hard drive that loads everything else lightning-quick, but it takes several minutes for TOR to load when I arrive on a new planet.

Exactly
01.06.2012 , 12:38 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Sargon View Post
That is what I thought too, but I have a new SSD hard drive that loads everything else lightning-quick, but it takes several minutes for TOR to load when I arrive on a new planet.
Then you are definitely having issues. On my 7200 rpm drive ive never seen a load screen more than 30 seconds or so, most times much less than that. My cousin has an SSD and his load times are far less than mine, he claims none are ever over 10 seconds.

Scavenge
01.06.2012 , 12:49 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Sargon View Post
My friend's computer is also having several minutes to load just like mine. His is the same speed hard drive as mine, just more space on his though.
Leader of the Dark Imperium