Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How much memory is needed to run this game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
How much memory is needed to run this game?

Scavenge
01.06.2012 , 11:52 AM | #1
I have 4GB DDR3 and this game is eating up about 3 gigabytes. Do I need to go buy more now?
Leader of the Dark Imperium

renegadeimp
01.06.2012 , 11:53 AM | #2
The game only uses around 2 GB at peak. If it's using 3, then either something on your system is causing a memory leak, or you are on a planet with known issues.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

Jahl
01.06.2012 , 11:53 AM | #3
I run it just fine on 2gb Ram
¶█╬╬╬╬╬╬°¯°█{▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓}
The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent....Qui-Gon Jinn

Sunsoar
01.06.2012 , 11:54 AM | #4
Should only need 4gb for your comp but I would game with whatever your mobo is set up to handle. So if you have 4 dimms of memory and use 2gig dimms, fill her up and use 8gb.

I have 12gb of ram. 6dimmsx2gb sticks.
Without me, it's just aweso.
i7 950 @ 4.0ghz, ASUS X58 Saber mobo, 12gb RAM@1866mhz, 6970 LIGHTNING, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, BWU Keyboard, Razer Mamba, PC350s, XFX XXX 750w PSU.
This game desperately needs some sandbox elements. Repetitive grinding is not fun.

Agentwofive
01.06.2012 , 11:57 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Scavenge View Post
I have 4GB DDR3 and this game is eating up about 3 gigabytes. Do I need to go buy more now?
the game itself is using up 3Gb? or total usage is 3? There's a difference.

Minimum is 2GB for vista/7
http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/2070

Dasffion
01.06.2012 , 11:58 AM | #6
RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM
Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Minimum reqs

nToxiK
01.06.2012 , 11:59 AM | #7
Win7, you should be using their 64-bit version of their OS with 8GB of RAM (assuming you have a 64-bit processor).

Any OS that is 32-bit will only recognize a maximum of 3.5GB of RAM (also subtract how much video memory you have on your video card).

There is no reason to run XP anymore.

jmastroi
01.06.2012 , 12:02 PM | #8
Running it fine with 4 gigs of ram.

Scavenge
01.06.2012 , 12:14 PM | #9
Well I'm asking if I need more because of the extreme amount of time it takes to exit the game or to load any planet, ship, station. The game itself runs fine after the loading is done. But when I do alt tab and open up my task manager my system is normally running 746MB used for basic windows vista stuff. When the game is loaded I'm using 3.02 or 3.08GB of memory.

My DxDiag
Spoiler
Leader of the Dark Imperium

dreadpirateandy
01.06.2012 , 12:17 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Scavenge View Post
Well I'm asking if I need more because of the extreme amount of time it takes to exit the game or to load any planet, ship, station. The game itself runs fine after the loading is done. But when I do alt tab and open up my task manager my system is normally running 746MB used for basic windows vista stuff. When the game is loaded I'm using 3.02 or 3.08GB of memory.
That's a known issue. My game tends to take so long entering warzones that I get booted the second my client realizes that I'm in. There have also been some people speculating about memory leaks.

The way it *should* run is minimum 2 gb, recommended is 4 gb. They'll fix it eventually.