Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Visions and Visionaries

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Visions and Visionaries

kisharrr
01.29.2012 , 06:33 PM | #21
Chiming in here to say I came to the forums looking for advice on this ridiculous mission. I decided that it was pretty much in keeping with the difficulty ramp up of Voss, which says it's level appropriate but which plays as though the whole place is a HEROIC 2+

Coming off of Belsavis which was my favorite planet so far in the entire game, it was a real bummer to have every enemy be a silver boss fight, even when you're just walking down the stupid road to the stupid town, backtracking for the 5th stupid time.

For those of you who are so awesome at video games that you didn't break a sweat and never died in pvp ever and never even had to use your buttons to kill the whole planet just clicking your basic attack - if we make a thread about how amazing you are, will you keep your unhelpful self-aggrandizement out of threads discussing genuine and annoying difficulty spikes?

The_Plum
01.30.2012 , 04:24 AM | #22
Was having so much trouble with this quest, it made me stop playing my main for a while because of how frustrated I was getting.
I'm a big LoL player, and saw a video of a member of the LoL community doing this quest. He was an Assassin, not sure what spec, but he did the whole thing with Thanos, having a little trouble at first with Zash and Thanaton but still able to do it without dying once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTNjKwTNtak
Video for those who want to see it.

Anyways, I'm playing a Sorcerer so I wasn't sure how it would work for myself, but I was able to breeze through Zash and get Thanaton on the second try with like 50% health left.
I'm level 43, hybrid Lightning/Madness spec. Turned everything off on Talos but the heals and cast his Carbonized Stream yourself as another interrupt. Didn't have any gear for Thanos (still had his original stuff from leaving Hoth) but I had Andronikos geared with level 39-41 greens and blues. Just gave Talos his gear and it worked fine.

My strategy was to shield myself up first and wait for the Deionized debuff to wear off before going in so I could double shield myself in the beginning. General rotation was Death Field>Affliction>Force Lightning until Wrath proc>Crushing Darkness>Force Lightning until Wrath proc>Chain Lightning. Rinse and repeat.

Against Zash the only thing I ever bothered to interrupt was Chain Lightning. Talos was easily keeping up with her Force Lightning damage, and I could just run away from Force Storm every time. Could have maybe interrupted her heals to make the fight quicker, but it was easy enough to just muscle through her heals and interrupt her biggest damage spell. Definitely make sure you stay away from Talos though! Keep your distance from him so he won't ever be hit by her Force Storm. He will drop quickly and having to shield or heal him is just wasting your force and potential damage on Zash.
I failed this fight every time with other companions. Khem was getting destroyed by her damage, and I couldn't keep him alive and put enough damage on her at the same time. Andronikos and Ashara weren't doing enough damage on their own, and I was running out of force trying to keep myself alive against her.

Darth Thanaton was harder, but still very doable. If you miss an interrupt against Thanaton you will basically die. The guaranteed crit on Thundering Blast if he's Afflicted you TRUCKS your life, and even his Lightning Strike will really put the hurt on you. My first try against Thanaton I was at like 1/3 hp and missed the interrupt on his Thundering Blast and died. Same strategy as Zash though. Basically every time you see him casting anything use whatever interrupt you have. As a hybrid spec Sorcerer you have Jolt, Overload, Electrocute, and Whirlwind plus you have have Carbonized Stream from Talos available to you so as long as you pay close attention you should be totally okay. The only spell you should ignore is Force Storm. There is no need to waste an interrupt on it because you can just move out of its range every time. If anything whenever Zash or Thanaton cast Force Storm you should just treat it as a few seconds of free damage on them because they will just channel it whether or not you are in range.

I was level 43! Below the quest level, and finally got through it with this strategy.
Really hope it helps anybody else having trouble with this quest. I think I'm going to start to use Talos from now too!

tldr:
Talos is DEFINITELY who you want to use this quest.
Turn off everything but his heals. Anytime he spends shooting is less time he spends keeping you healthy.
Death Field > Affliction > Force Lightning until Wrath > Crushing Darkness > Force Lightning until Wrath > Chain Lightning as a hybrid Lightning/Madness sorcerer. Obviously cast Static Barrier every time.
Don't bother interrupting Force Storm on Zash or Thanaton. Just run away from it. Save your interrupts for more important spells (especially Thundering Blast from Thanaton).

The meat of that post will probably only really help Sorcerer players, but hopefully any Assassin having trouble can get some insight from the video I posted.

_Darkstar
01.30.2012 , 07:14 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Plum View Post
tldr:
Talos is DEFINITELY who you want to use this quest.
Turn off everything but his heals. Anytime he spends shooting is less time he spends keeping you healthy.
Death Field > Affliction > Force Lightning until Wrath > Crushing Darkness > Force Lightning until Wrath > Chain Lightning as a hybrid Lightning/Madness sorcerer. Obviously cast Static Barrier every time.
Don't bother interrupting Force Storm on Zash or Thanaton. Just run away from it. Save your interrupts for more important spells (especially Thundering Blast from Thanaton).

The meat of that post will probably only really help Sorcerer players, but hopefully any Assassin having trouble can get some insight from the video I posted.
I was the right level when I did this on my Sorc which seems like the same build and I did find it quite easy using the same kind of tactics as you, but I think other types of SI have many more problems as they don't have the kind of damage output we do, so they have to do just as much to stay alive but they have to do it over a much longer period.

That said I was never bothered about interrupting any power aside from Lightning Storms and Affliction Fields, I found Thunderous Blast from Thanaton not so powerful.

Talos is definitely the go-to man though, if you have to then kite like mad and he will get you back to full health while you do.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

Kholvan
01.30.2012 , 11:37 AM | #24
This is without a doubt the hardest quest after the end of Act I. So the good news is once you're over it, you're probably fine through the end. It is doable down multiple levels, but not by using what I'd consider to be "normal" tactics.

For heal-spec, the key is to bring Khem and med-units, not medpaks. Also clear any of the "trash" in the instance - I know it's annoyingly tough trash in this quest, and it has a habit of respawning when you die, but do it anyhow.

Time is the healer's friend, and the toughest boss doesn't heal nearly as much in this quest as they did in their earlier appearance. That means you're the only healer that matters here.

Those med-units will resurrect Khem once every 90 seconds, and when Khem is down you can run all over the instance - there's tons of obstacles to keep the boss from attacking you. Your bubble and Resurgence means you can actually net positive health while fleeing ... err, using tactical cover. Stall for time until the medunit can bring Khem back. Don't forget your aggro dump when you want to switch the boss back to Khem.

Of course, like any boss fight, you should be interrupting the abilities that cause you the most grief. Apart from the awesome Jolt, Electrocute interrupts as well - and Overload might, I don't remember if this boss is immune. You can even get a bonus Electrocute every couple of minutes with the Channel the Force cooldown.

KianTremayne
01.30.2012 , 01:43 PM | #25
Just did this at the weekend as a level 45 darkness/madness assassin, dying once to Thanaton. Yes, it is difficult. No, it is not impossible. I didn't LOS him or Zash at any point but I did make a point of not standing in the AoE and making good use of my interrupts, medpacks, Force Shroud... basically, know your toolkit and use it.

Personally, I like a game where you can't always faceroll to victory
The original Tremayne, with a blog over here

jenlen
01.30.2012 , 09:23 PM | #26
I had so much fun playing my Sorcerer up to level 45. As someone mentioned, Belsavis was just incredible. I loved it.

Then, I got to Voss. Yuck!

Did Bioware hire some sadist to plan and execute Voss? Up till now I felt that the idea here was to give the player a fun time, a deep storyline, and lots to do!

On Voss, I feel like they tossed all that aside and decided to kill the player, irritate the player (making you fly back every time you die? GAH), and just generally make things suck.

This was my Main, and now my Main is a Sith Juggernaut if that tells you anything. I got some help for Zash/Thanaton, but things still are not nearly as fun as before.

Racquel
02.04.2012 , 01:02 PM | #27
This quest was a royal PITA but I managed by using Talos Drellik for Zash and Thanaton, can't really keep staring at my health bar when having to pay attention to what those 2 are casting and to which interrupts are currently available. I'm a corruption specced sorcerer.

What really sucks about this quest is that if you die, you respawn at the medcenter and have to run back (it's not exactly round the corner).

Also, having to basically kill Zash and Thanaton twice (so far, this is at lvl 45, mind) absolutely sucks. I'm totally prepared to face them around level 50 yet again. Sucks. Balls.
Something wicked this way comes

Darth_Romana
02.13.2012 , 09:19 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Racquel View Post
What really sucks about this quest is that if you die, you respawn at the medcenter and have to run back (it's not exactly round the corner).
For me, I've had little trouble; i defeated every boss up to Zash with no problem at all; defeated her in one, although my health got dangerously low. So far with Thanaton, It's not going to badly; I got him down to half health with almost full health, THEN i accidently hit Force Cloak, which unfortunately didn't remove me from combat (as it should) but it did restore Thanaton's health to max, which resulted in my death.

Dieing being the biggest issue, as you say, in this quest. You die, and your respawned along way away, and if you decide to give it a try a bit later, by the time you've returned all the beasts have respawned and you have to clear them before you can begin your fight with Thanaton.

Nazrax
02.13.2012 , 05:20 PM | #29
I did this mission solo at lvl 46-47(dinged while clearing through the dreams/nightmare) I am healing spec and I used Khem. I try to keep Khem geared as much as possible.

How I did this:
I made sure to have full hps and force bars. Shield both myself and Khem, let the shield debuff wear off then send in Khem, I would dot up the boss and then use force lightning and lightning strike til Khem's first shield was down, insta reshield him, continue with the dps. Once Khem got to about 60% I would heal him back up using our heal over time and channeled heal which then almost always procs the no cost force conversion for some quick force power back. Once Khem is back up to around 90% or so I would continue with the dps.(I dont remember exact names of abilities, my apologises). I used this method for just about every mission I do(this includes heroic2 and heroic4s solo at lvl or just over-using Whirlwind is a must in these missions as well!)

Now about the interrupts:
I would use Jolt everytime it was off cd as needed as well as electrocute as needed off cd. If you are a first time healer spec it will take some practice healing, dpsing and interrupting all in the same fight but it can be done rather easily with some practice!

It sometimes comes to pass that you will be healing almost non-stop. Thats ok, it happens. Get your tank pet back up to full or as close as you can and then shield him and then use your insta-cast Hot on him. That will help with boss hits that blow through the shield quickly and will help to reduce the amount of time you have to heal, allowing you to reapply DoTs or get a lightning strike or force lightning off.
If you are having Force power issues(running out or low) use the talented channeled heal for Force Conversion procs and use them as soon as the channeled heal is finished. If force power is still an issue stop all dps except for DoTs and use the channeled heal everytime it is off CD for the force procs. Use you free-cast saber strike(?) to do extra dps if able to, kiting or LoSin makes this difficult at times though.
Make sure you keep yourself healed as well. I basically heal myself the same way as I heal Khem(see above)

Something that I think many of you may not have access to is the lvl 47(?) ability extricate(spelling?) That spell is incredible for LoS and just plain kiting in general. If nothing else works for you-lvl up some more on Voss or wherever and then try it again after you get Extricate. Trust me you will absolutely love this ability!

I highly recommend that everyone doing this fight read up on the mechanics of it and know what boss abilities need to be interrupted or LoS'd and in what priority. Sometimes you wont have any interrupt available or be close enough to something to LoS fast enough so a priority list can help you decide what to save Jolt or Electrocute for.

I also recommend that folks use heal spec as your go to spec for heroic lvl missions/class stories if you are a Sorc. It does decent dps and the ability to heal your tank pet means you can do heroic2 and 4s solo fairly easily with proper use of CC, LoS, kiting and general knowledge of the mission(what mobs have what abilities, and what they do)
I have even duo'd higher lvl flashpoints with a Jugg friend using his healing pet and my andros as dps. We actually do better in some cases than with a full group of 4 people, lol.

I dont mean any of that to brag either-Im not a powergamer, or some pvp/pve god. I would say the secret is to try to see what each mob/boss does, learn its abilities and counter them. As a Inq I feel that we have tools for almost every situation. Use them when and where needed and use them effectively. Dont be afraid to run away(mobs will lose agro after a short run). Its better to run and not die than it is to die and have a repair bill and a long trek back. Save yourself credits by doing this-use those credits to gear up your companions or yourself!

TL;DR version:
1. Heal spec(if you are assassin I cant help there, my apologizes)
2. Use Khem and make sure you both are geared as best you can.
3. Full hps/force, shield, let shield debuff fade, send in Khem. Dot up boss, force lightning/lightning strike til first shield is down on Khem-reshield, continue dps rotation. Make sure you are keeping your DoTs up on the target. they do great dmg on long boss fights!
4. Once Khem gets to 60% hps heal him making sure to use the HoT and channeled heal for force conversion procs(use proc everytime it pops, great way to get force power back!)
5. Use interrupts as needed according to a priority list(doesnt mean the list has to be written down either, critical thinking/memory serves well here! lol )
6. Out lvl mission if you have to, come back with new abilites(extricate!) and gear.
7. If you arent having fun, you are doing something wrong. Take a break, play an alt, do other missions, walk the dog, get some luvin , etc, etc.

Hopefully this helps those of you having trouble with this class mission and helps you to solo Heroic2s and 4s as well. If anyone would like more info just drop me a line-Im more than happy to help folks with anything I can. I really enjoy this game and want to help others enjoy it as well.

knitwhit
02.13.2012 , 08:30 PM | #30
I finished Wampa go onto Urtel Moren and blocking the path are 3 12k mobs each. How in the world do you fight 3 12k mobs at the same time or is there some secret path to bypass them?