Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Saber Fighting Style thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Saber Fighting Style thread

siegeshot
01.06.2012 , 07:06 AM | #1
I didn't want to hijack the 'hilt' thread http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=134214 so I'm starting a new saber fighting style thread. I only have a few minutes to post now, but wanted to get it started.

The first that interests me is Galen / Starkiller / Secret Apprentice's reverse dual wield style, "Jar'Kai." This has been my favorite light saber style out of any Star Wars game thus far, and wish I could replicate it in TOR even if it was purely aesthetic. The Ataru (acrobatic) form while dual wielding is the closest to this implemented so far in my opinion. Which is a good form, but I really like reverse dual wield... I would want Jar'Kai added to the JK / Sentinel / Combat and SW / Marauder / Carnage tree.

The second that interests me is Ahsoka Tano's form, "Shien," (trying to create openings) that I'm not sure is in the game either. I very much like this form though and the concept behind it.

The other forms for reference and discussion are.

Shii'Cho
Makashi
Soresu (Defensive)
Ataru (offensive)
Juyo (Vicious)
Niman

Anyway I hope this gets a discussion started.

Is there a favorite form you like? Is there an obscure or less popular form you wanted to see in the game? Would you want the aesthetics changed with a new form, or some new movies or functionality changes associated? Which tree would you want the new form in?

Bye for now.
Guild: Cute Pink Banthas / Gravity Kills
Youtube.com/swtorPaladin
Begeren Colony. RP-PVE.
Original beta group: Squadron 367

russmanOR
01.06.2012 , 09:23 AM | #2
Shien Form is the Guardian/Jugg DPS tree specific form.

JasonFJ
01.06.2012 , 09:26 AM | #3
I'd like to see the strong sabre style that Anakin and Count Dooku used in the fight that Anakin eventually lost his hand in. Don't know what it is, but it seems to be low on defense and high on offense? Could be a good DPS form for heavily Defense spec'ed Jedi Guardians.

Also, the Darth Maul style. It would be nice to see Jedi Shadows using a channeled double sabre manouver similar to how Jedi Knight's get a Master Strike channeled animation.

siegeshot
01.06.2012 , 11:12 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by russmanOR View Post
Shien Form is the Guardian/Jugg DPS tree specific form.
Ah very cool. I'm still having a hard time finding any kind of comprehensive list. I'll keep the original post updated until something better gets loaded on the net. I know there are a few more commonly used forms as well as some rarer forms. Also a few of the Jedi masters or x Jedi masters you could say were the experts or masters of certain forms. Or were authorized to train the form.

Going to try to get all that info. Then maybe coincide it with which moves in game are from which form. That way we can put form names with everyone we like. ex Dooku's / Tryannus's Darth Maul's forms. I assume Ventress is a variation of Dooku's...
Youtube.com/swtorPaladin
Begeren Colony. RP-PVE.

EdAraujo
01.06.2012 , 12:01 PM | #5
It would be awesome if the way the toon grip the saber changed accordingly to the stance/style it's using. Seeing Shii-cho, Shien and Soresu with the same grip/stance is kinda weird.

siegeshot
01.06.2012 , 01:32 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by EdAraujo View Post
It would be awesome if the way the toon grip the saber changed accordingly to the stance/style it's using. Seeing Shii-cho, Shien and Soresu with the same grip/stance is kinda weird.
Totally agree. It threw me off reading the tool tips at first and now I'm thinking its placeholder animation. With no less than 6 main styles, the opportunities are amazing to really set this apart from everything else on the market and on par with a very polished console release.

The saber style in Force Unleashed 1 \ 2 was one of my favorite items. Likewise how the engine in Shadows of the Empire handled blaster combat. Massively set it apart from your avg fps and also made it feel very authentic Star Wars.

Without the different visual fighting styles, I'm not sure how people are going to feel tied to the universe. Imagine how stale the series would have been ages ago if there was only one visual fighting style.
Youtube.com/swtorPaladin
Begeren Colony. RP-PVE.