Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Huge economy exploit surfaces] - what will be BIOWARE's next move?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Huge economy exploit surfaces] - what will be BIOWARE's next move?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jetsunz
01.07.2012 , 12:17 AM | #311
They need to come down very hard on these exploiters if they are to have any credibility at all. I got over a dozen alts started....less than 20k credits on all of them...I worked hard getting them all through the start zones....I feel I have accomplished something

These exploiters don't care about accomplishment,..they just doing it for the lol's...they just criminals and hope they are perma-banned. Millions of credits already??? omg...that's crazy!

muleDArule
01.07.2012 , 12:58 AM | #312
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
We're aware of your concerns regarding this issue, and are conducting a full investigation of the impact. Please rest assured that anyone found to be in violation of our Terms of Service will have appropriate action taken against them. We will provide more information as it becomes available. Thank you!
Thank you!
Good speed for this "operation". I hope you have all the data logged that are needed to track down all exploiters and credits launderer.
It's not about the downtime it's about principle service for us the EU player base.
cancel subscription reason: EU MAINTENANCE CAMPAIGN

oflow
01.07.2012 , 12:59 AM | #313
lol BioFail.
<Founder>

burunduchok
01.07.2012 , 01:28 AM | #314
Okay, so far we got an official response (although not a full thread) that this matter will be dealt with. Good.

Now lets speculate what measures can be taken by BW.

From my point of view, those are:

1. (unlikely) Closing this thread, and ignore the problem*

2. Make formal reply, and ignore the problem

3. Make formal reply, temporarily ban those who responsible (ie practically ignore the problem, in my opinion)

4. Make formal reply, temporarily ban those who responsible, remove all ill-gotten credits and items from the game

5. Make formal reply, permaban those who responsible (including throwaways and such, maybe using IP bans), remove all ill-gotten credits and items from the game

6. Server rollback (and derivatives). Just simple as that.

*óby problem I mean, of course, the effects of this exploit, because patch affects only the tip of the dung heap

As a paying customer, I will only be satisfied with 4 and 5, and even 6 (lvl 46 with 500k),

but what are yours thoughts?

Nanik
01.07.2012 , 02:08 AM | #315
i dont think they will act like 1-3

6 isnt possible i think... somewhere i read that the exploit is in game since beta... means you have to rollback to the first day... its like a complete game reset...

well a game reset would be a possibility... but plz fix bugs first... and give double-xp-buff-items out (on quest xp effective too)

... tbh
i think the best would be:
remove all sploited items+credits on the sploiters accounts+throwaway accounts
temp ban these that used it lower --> less then 500k or something like that
perma ban these, that used it high and effected the economy -> 500k+
perma ban + ip ban these that duped 10.000k+ (maybe it hits some of the people that sell credits for real money...)

vemontaq
01.07.2012 , 02:08 AM | #316
One of my guildies gave all of us 500k each today, he must have made millions during that exploit...sigh..

Nanik
01.07.2012 , 02:11 AM | #317
Quote: Originally Posted by vemontaq View Post
One of my guildies gave all of us 500k each today, he must have made millions during that exploit...sigh..
and this is the reason why you just cant ban people that just got money transfered...
see my post above...

burunduchok
01.07.2012 , 04:35 AM | #318
bump until we get official response

The_Assuran
01.07.2012 , 04:54 AM | #319
I'd be ok with making a formal post and then permabanning the exploiters. If they can take away some of the credits, great, but other accounts getting caught in the crossfire for receiving gifts will just make more people unhappy.

If they rollback the servers, I'd be more upset than if nothing else happened.

xhaiquan
01.07.2012 , 09:14 AM | #320
Can't believe this thread has fallen to page eight. It needs to be boosted until we get an acceptable reply from Bioware regarding what action has been taken against the exploiters.

According to info from other websites, there are still TWO known un-patched exploits people are taking advantage of. And the ones that have been patched, have resulted in literally "billions" of credits being artificially introduced into the economy. On my server alone, I know of two large (60 people plus) guilds that have been taking advantage of this exploit for a long time, and many of those people have individually amassed 300 milllion credits + from it.

THis is a kill to the economy. Reports are that some people got a warning email from bioware but no action was taken against their account and they were allowed to keep what they made from their exploits.

One big problem is, and this is my guess, only 5% of players read the forums. So 95% of the population is not even aware that these exploits existed and the harm that they have caused on the economy.

Personal observations from my server:

A blue lvl 25 robe that cost 5K credits a few days ago now selling for 50K
a stack of "green goo" that sold for 2k a few days ago is now selling for 25K
a purple protype blaster, lvl 29, that sold for 7k a few days ago now selling for 55K

There is little doubt that this sudden spike of inflation is a result of exploted credits being introduced into the economy.

Bioware, just telling us, in a reply to this thread, that you are investigating the issue is not sufficient. A response must be made on the forum main page, outlining that you are aware of the problem, the implication it has on the servers, and, most importantly, what action you are taking against those that exploited this bug.

I realize that you would rather this thread die and pretend that the problem never happened, but you cannot do that. There are people who care about the survivability of this game.