Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Huge economy exploit surfaces] - what will be BIOWARE's next move?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Huge economy exploit surfaces] - what will be BIOWARE's next move?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Awarkle
01.06.2012 , 02:13 PM | #231
Just reset all the characters on that account and put in a 14 day ban (or up to the point when the free play stops)

People know they are exploiting and tbh ignorance isnt an excuse "o sorry i didnt realise i was earning millions of credits". You will hear them scream or Waaaa i got my toon reset .

Also they can trace where all that money went just delete it from the game totally. And if your money were unfairly deleted then let them put your case forward for you to get the money back.

Those that exploited will keep quiet and the true victims will show that they sold something legitimatly without knowledge.

Madidus
01.06.2012 , 02:15 PM | #232
While I understand what the gripe was; people using slicing missions which gave a much higher reward than cost making it free money.... I'm unsure how this is the sole reason for a worry about the economy.

I have a jedi guardian,... synthweaving, archeology, and underworld trading. I played through the game and didn't waste my money buying crap off the AH for inflated prices because I either made my upgrades or got them as quest rewards. I trained every level and sold extra stuff on the ah simply for the price it automatically suggested it to sell for when you put it up. One thing I did do is run every mission and heroic I've come across at least once. I run green+ space mission quests everyday.

I'm currently level 39, my synthweaving is 367, archeology is 340, underworld trading is 325. I have all my training complete and I have about 1,400,000 credits. Yes, 1.4 million credits.

The game gives out credits like candy on Halloween. I fully expect it to look like SWG did when I played,... Pre NGE, Pre Combat Ugrade, in vanilla SWG my droid engineer had 80,000,000 credits before I gave it all away and quit.

Money is worthless in this game, think about credits as yen and have a nice day.

EwokLuvr
01.06.2012 , 02:19 PM | #233
What if the people that did this went and bought 100 things off the GTN? What are you going to do, take the money back from those who were selling?

It's probably not hard to see who gained that much money at once but reversing all of the implications may be impossible. What a mess.
This needed confirmation: I can assure you that the in-game support feature is not fake.
Ticket #1648696 12/26, finally answered on 1/13. There is hope!
"The guild Roster is less useful than a screenshot of a guild Roster."

Ranid
01.06.2012 , 02:21 PM | #234
Since everyone is calling this a beta then they should just fix the exploits and wipe the servers. Everyone starts with a clean slate.
Organ Harvester: "Are you deaf? I asked for Iridonian hearts! Not Rodian, Not Ithorian! Iridonian!"
Organ Harvester: "What do you want me to do, put them back?"

Daynja
01.06.2012 , 02:22 PM | #235
Its sad to hear that a virtual economy such is the one for Swotor has had its share of illegally gained credits put into it.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these "sellers" that appear on the auction house selling goods that they gained from credits they didnt earn with names such as MF Global or Goldman Sachs.

BlutigKoch
01.06.2012 , 02:26 PM | #236
Quote: Originally Posted by Madidus View Post
While I understand what the gripe was; people using slicing missions which gave a much higher reward than cost making it free money.... I'm unsure how this is the sole reason for a worry about the economy.

I have a jedi guardian,... synthweaving, archeology, and underworld trading. I played through the game and didn't waste my money buying crap off the AH for inflated prices because I either made my upgrades or got them as quest rewards. I trained every level and sold extra stuff on the ah simply for the price it automatically suggested it to sell for when you put it up. One thing I did do is run every mission and heroic I've come across at least once. I run green+ space mission quests everyday.

I'm currently level 39, my synthweaving is 367, archeology is 340, underworld trading is 325. I have all my training complete and I have about 1,400,000 credits. Yes, 1.4 million credits.

The game gives out credits like candy on Halloween. I fully expect it to look like SWG did when I played,... Pre NGE, Pre Combat Ugrade, in vanilla SWG my droid engineer had 80,000,000 credits before I gave it all away and quit.

Money is worthless in this game, think about credits as yen and have a nice day.
Congrats on your 1.4 million.

The exploiters made double that in 10minutes.

Elcan
01.06.2012 , 02:33 PM | #237
Quote: Originally Posted by PyGoN View Post
I'm lucky in a sense that i do not have enough time to play at a level where i would be affected by this problem. . .

I used to enjoy controlling item markets on other various MMOs, this was rather time consuming though. It was not an issue when i was in high school as i had plenty of time.

Now that i have graduated college and work a full time job, I have enough time to pvp a bit, quest a bit, craft a bit, and run 1-2 instances per day.

If i was still trying to maintain a stranglehold on various items in the aution house, i would be concerned as i would not be getting the prices i believe i deserved for my wares. As i mentioned before, however, i do not have the time, or really care, to be competitive in the market any more. I have been more than able to equipe my character with sufficient items, and credits, to be competitive with my peers.

So in summation; Bioware, Fix the problem (as im sure you are/have) and i got no problem with you. let the morons ruin their experience with the game by manufacturing credits, sounds like something a board 13 year old would do anyway, they got the time and want afterall. this is an expoit that would have never caught my eye, as i prefer to earn my way in MMOs, thats what makes the fun for me.

Great work Bioware. As always i think your doing a wonderful job on a new MMO, cant wait to see what the future holds for this game.
Since these actin happen in every singal MMO to date then what games has this killed?
WOW and LOTRO are not dead FFXIV as well.. Every one yells its killing the MMO when ( and bear in mind im not for gold selling. And in this game money is to easy to come by). Its not killing them in most cases its fueling the economy because down the road every thing will be BOA not counting the majority of crafted items.

Keblitis
01.06.2012 , 02:41 PM | #238
Let me ask you this...

If you want to ban someone for using a 'bug' to gain credits. What do you want do to BW for losing a players 2m credits when he emailed them to his alt?
Warlord
(▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
}
ị:◙[//NEVER//]◙:ị{{▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)

Shadowkai
01.06.2012 , 02:49 PM | #239
Quote: Originally Posted by Shillen View Post
The problem is the exploiters that weren't idiots were using a dummy account to generate millions of credits and spreading those credits to other accounts (guildmates, friends) in many small transfers. You can't ban people for receiving credits in the mail. They didn't exploit anything.

The damage is done, there is literally nothing BioWare can do to fix it.
That is completely incorrect. Databases are wonderful things.
s h a d o w k a i

Darvus
01.06.2012 , 02:49 PM | #240
I agree that exploiters are an issue, and need to be dealt with. The fact is, THIS is not what is hurting the economy of the game. There are too many cash sinks. That is the fault of BW. This also encourages the credit farmers to target this game. I too believe that exploiting the credits is wrong, but it's not going to kill this game. What will kill this game is not addressing actual gameplay issues, and having CS address people with problems in a timely, efficient, and correct manner. A small percentage of players spread out across multiple servers with billions of credits is not game-threatening. Sorry, it's just not.
"The weak deserve their fate..."

Darvus Sinister
Minions of Darkness