Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Huge economy exploit surfaces] - what will be BIOWARE's next move?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Huge economy exploit surfaces] - what will be BIOWARE's next move?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Zor_Prime
01.06.2012 , 01:47 PM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSublimitas View Post
Yes but you have to agree, being in IT yourself (Mine is Info Sec), BW, more likely than not, has everything stored on Oracle/Juniper size databases. A db admin can easily go in and via SQL queries manipulate the tables and see who was doing what when. But they can't even fix the simplest of bugs or glitches - I have never seen such incompetency...

That was what I was getting at...but admittedly, I was sugar coating. I've found it's best to go easy on other IT teams when you don't know the scope of what is going on and what situation they are working in.

Like I was saying, it would take me no time slap a procedure, Oracle Job, and audit and log table into the system but they may have some rigid process that prevents such things from happening quickly. Or they could be so over tasked with other things that doing this has fell down on the list of important things to do. Then again, I can't help but think that is overly generous.

select a.char_id, credit_count, server_name
from some_credit_table a inner join character_table b on a.char_id = b.char_id
where credit_count > round(sysdate - char_create_date) * 10000
order by credit_count, server_name

...one would think. Of course you have to come up with a good number for the "where" clause based on what you think a player could accumulate but that should be easy as exploiters are going to blow away any theoretical max that you can come up with based on legit play.

/I love hunting down data just a bit too much..
The Corsair
Hello? Anybody? (chirp chirp)....(chirp chirp)...

SunwindIon
01.06.2012 , 01:47 PM | #222
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
We're aware of your concerns regarding this issue, and are conducting a full investigation of the impact. Please rest assured that anyone found to be in violation of our Terms of Service will have appropriate action taken against them. We will provide more information as it becomes available. Thank you!
hopefully a proper announcement is made on the website when the offendors have been punished,

Zor_Prime
01.06.2012 , 01:52 PM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by SunwindIon View Post
hopefully a proper announcement is made on the website when the offendors have been punished,

Maybe they will have a ceremony on Tatooine where their characters are tossed into the Sarlacc pit.
The Corsair
Hello? Anybody? (chirp chirp)....(chirp chirp)...

PyGoN
01.06.2012 , 01:55 PM | #224
Quote: Originally Posted by Zor_Prime View Post
Maybe they will have a ceremony on Tatooine where their characters are tossed into the Sarlacc pit.
awesome, just plain awesome!
I'm in your threadzz

Postin my thoughtzzzz

Putok
01.06.2012 , 01:56 PM | #225
Bioware has the technology to find all the illegal credits, and remove the people responsible.

I hope they do that, and remove all of the tainted currency. If there are people with multiple hundreds of millions or billions of credits at this stage of the game, the economy will never be functional.

Ban them. Remove the money. Try to keep a better eye on a single person accumulating a few hundred million over an impossibly short period of time.

sw_dragon
01.06.2012 , 01:56 PM | #226
Fix it, because those of us who have worked hard to gain crew skills for the little benefit they provide are wondering how this even got though beta..

oh wait this is beta

junkfunk
01.06.2012 , 01:57 PM | #227
I'm down.

I'll bring the musical droid.
Nasty - 50 Gunslinger | Ryane - 42 Guardian
Legends - Warriors of the Shadow (PvP West Coast)
Quote: Originally Posted by McVade View Post
Every time I get force charged/rooted/knocked off the bridge in Voidstar, I want to tear off my shirt, grab my supple manboobs and shriek.

Putok
01.06.2012 , 02:05 PM | #228
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
We're aware of your concerns regarding this issue, and are conducting a full investigation of the impact. Please rest assured that anyone found to be in violation of our Terms of Service will have appropriate action taken against them. We will provide more information as it becomes available. Thank you!
Thank for the reassurance. I hope something is done about all the tainted currency. Frankly, even something as drastic as stripping accounts of all credits beyond 15 mil or so per server might be justifiable, if you can't track the tainted currency accurately enough to remove every credit.

Kunari
01.06.2012 , 02:08 PM | #229
That'd be epic!

muleDArule
01.06.2012 , 02:12 PM | #230
I think it is very difficult to track down all the cheater.
I have no idea of the magnitude of "how much black credits" are in the economy.

If possible they should perma-ban involved accounts (very difficult though).
It's not about the downtime it's about principle service for us the EU player base.
cancel subscription reason: EU MAINTENANCE CAMPAIGN