Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Revan Novel (spoilers) and how i started worry about my Jedi story

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The Revan Novel (spoilers) and how i started worry about my Jedi story

sanzen
01.06.2012 , 06:10 PM | #11
There are some answer which I would like to comment on.

The first about the Jedi. The Jedi are portrayed as backward striving closeminded people only in the EU.
In the oroginal trilogy (the only true reference) both Obi-wan and Yoda do not at all come across as the Jedi in the EU.
Even in the prequels, and even in teh clone wars, though inferior references they are still true since Lucas was part of
therir creation.
Could you ever imagine the Jedi council with Yoda Obi and Mace actually not lifting a finger if Madalorians
ever invaded them?
This is actually the only thing which is a very big hole in Biowares storytelling, there is no logical way to explain
the Jedi councils refusal to fight the mandalorians, it has always bothered me. Bioware ahs great storytelling but in
this instance they really made a terrible job.

That the sith lord will end up as a companion is not really surprising, very obvious as is that you are the Jedi he saw,
but i hoped he would not. Iwill however never use him, hate him already. And now that he sees the invasion actually works,
is he still afraid of the emperor?
However the emperor became immortal at the cost of an entire world, thr ritual took days to finish, Scrouge just stepped
into a machine and not even a fly died, how is this logical?

I also rewatched teh timeline, the one about the Grand Moff specificly states that the new empire
would "bring about the republics destruction", how would they do that without invading? So how could it be a susprise?
IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!

To conclude, this is a very poorly written novel from what it had been anounced as, had the title been "Lord Scourge" or something and had notheing to do with Revan, I could have accepted it, but as it is now, I really hate it.
And again, I am worried about the Jedi knight class quest, tha author does not at all seem to grasp what a true Jedi should be about, he just wants to show the empire as the good guys it seems.

Landoro
Me Grimlock kick butt!

I will bite your legs of!

Seisaan
01.06.2012 , 06:57 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by sanzen View Post
There are some answer which I would like to comment on.

The first about the Jedi. The Jedi are portrayed as backward striving closeminded people only in the EU.
In the oroginal trilogy (the only true reference) both Obi-wan and Yoda do not at all come across as the Jedi in the EU.
Even in the prequels, and even in teh clone wars, though inferior references they are still true since Lucas was part of
therir creation.
Could you ever imagine the Jedi council with Yoda Obi and Mace actually not lifting a finger if Madalorians
ever invaded them?
This is actually the only thing which is a very big hole in Biowares storytelling, there is no logical way to explain
the Jedi councils refusal to fight the mandalorians, it has always bothered me. Bioware ahs great storytelling but in
this instance they really made a terrible job.

That the sith lord will end up as a companion is not really surprising, very obvious as is that you are the Jedi he saw,
but i hoped he would not. Iwill however never use him, hate him already. And now that he sees the invasion actually works,
is he still afraid of the emperor?
However the emperor became immortal at the cost of an entire world, thr ritual took days to finish, Scrouge just stepped
into a machine and not even a fly died, how is this logical?

I also rewatched teh timeline, the one about the Grand Moff specificly states that the new empire
would "bring about the republics destruction", how would they do that without invading? So how could it be a susprise?
IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!

To conclude, this is a very poorly written novel from what it had been anounced as, had the title been "Lord Scourge" or something and had notheing to do with Revan, I could have accepted it, but as it is now, I really hate it.
And again, I am worried about the Jedi knight class quest, tha author does not at all seem to grasp what a true Jedi should be about, he just wants to show the empire as the good guys it seems.

Landoro
Bioware DID explain why the Jedi didn't go to war. The council at the time was afraid that many members of their order would fall to the Dark Side since they were inexperienced in the ways of warfare. Its one thing to duel someone or fight off some pirates and another thing entirely to see hundreds, if not thousands, die and potentially see entire planets destroyed. And, the council's fears were correct. Revan and Malak along with their followers fell to the Dark Side which would have never happened had they not gone to war and roamed the galaxy unsupervised. Not to mention, the Sith Emperor was behind the the Mandalorian Wars. Its very possible the council could sense the Dark Side's influence in the war and did not want to run head long into a trap. Also, your comparison to the Yoda's council doesnt have merit because those groups are four thousand years apart. Different people, different ideologies.

Scourge is immortal because of a ritual the Emperor performs, most likely transferring part of his power to Scourge. Scourge is also suffering because of the immortality meaning it was a different ritual that had an added side effect. Potentially, the Force is capable of doing anything. There were already a few rituals to prolong life before the Revan book so here's one more.

And what more do you want from the Jedi story quest? You play a generic hero who selflessly goes out of his way to help as many people as he can. Jedi are peacekeepers and guardians of the Republic; They were always like this.

Malacos
01.06.2012 , 07:38 PM | #13
^ Very Well Said
“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” - Captain Solo

Omnitheo
01.07.2012 , 12:59 PM | #14
Well said indeed.

People are far too attached to Revan. He's a good character, but he isn't a god, and no matter what story was come up with for him, people would have complained.

Personally, the Revan book was well done, and added lots of story to characters who never would have gotten anything.

Revan's story in KoTOR, TOR, and TOR: Revan were all written by the same author, so don't accuse Drew of ruining his own character. It's all there for the sake of story.

When i played my JK story, i didn't really care too much for Scourge. After reading Revan, I grew to quite like the character, I have a whole new respect for him.

Honestly, Revan's story is way cooler than simply dying of old age.