Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

anyone else disapointed no class is original at all?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
anyone else disapointed no class is original at all?

BoredOfMMOS
01.05.2012 , 11:00 PM | #1
its just mirros with different animations its sad i feel like my class is nothing im just a face with the same spec as a trooper whos tanking its horrible to feel this unoriginal in a game based on choice and feeling like you arnt just another face.
as a 32 PT 38 IA sniper 21 sith jugg and 20 smuggler i feel unoriginal and overused whenever im in a group or warzone.

i hope they make classes so they arnt complete mirrors
i will miss you Swtor
But your not my mmo home.

Faolon
01.05.2012 , 11:01 PM | #2
I'm not disappointed.
The classes feel different enough that I can play the mirrors just fine. In fact, the different ACs feel different enough that I don't mind playing 2 of the same class.
"I will show you things... wonderful, terrible things."

Meriki
01.06.2012 , 12:43 AM | #3
For the most part I think the story and look of the classes are separated enough. THough coming from DDO I am very disappointing in character creation and modification.

I understand the easy cheesy reasons behind character clones and lack of choice. This makes it easy for the devs to balance things, work out kinks and allows them to not have to worry about players "finding the sweet spot".

So from a mechanic perspective it is a bit disappointing and the clones running around everywhere are frustrating. But I push to distinguish myself with play style, tactics rather then finding the "perfect build".

For now though, the stories are keeping me distracted and the vast choices in gear and items is helping to keep us all from looking like clones. We will see how this works out though in 6 months. Hehe
TOR Guides, videos, news, and information on DDMsRealm.com!
Play the Fyxt RPG for free as a standalone RPG or with your current RPG.

Rhaphael
01.06.2012 , 06:36 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by BoredOfMMOS View Post
Balance goes out the window then. Right now it's easy to keep imp and republic completely balanced with each other, this is not possible anymore once everyone gets unique abilities.

DarrkLore
01.06.2012 , 08:56 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by BoredOfMMOS View Post
its just mirros with different animations its sad i feel like my class is nothing im just a face with the same spec as a trooper whos tanking its horrible to feel this unoriginal in a game based on choice and feeling like you arnt just another face.
as a 32 PT 38 IA sniper 21 sith jugg and 20 smuggler i feel unoriginal and overused whenever im in a group or warzone.

Bioware has stated all along that the Republic and Empire classes would be mirrors of each other. I don't know why you would expect differently. They did it for a reason too. They made it so that you wouldn't have to play on a side you don't want to just to play a class that appeals to you. It's fair and it makes sense. If the classes weren't mirrors then we'd have all kinds of people complaining about "why does the Empire get all the cool classes and the Republic gets these lame ones!?"
ε╬╣!!!!╠▀▀{}▀(████████████████████████████████████████)

Geeluc
01.06.2012 , 09:23 AM | #6
I agree with the OP, that there are only a few classes, with a 'good and bad' theme on each and a few different skills (although, I've not played them all, and I know the stories etc are different).

I came from the good old days of SWG. There used to be 32 classes at first, till the NGE kicked in. And Jedi had to be unlocked with a series of quests.

Personally, I would like to have seen you make a toon, plop him/her on a start planet, but then you choose what you want to be come at say, level 10 and you can train and level in your chosen profession. Then, if you don't like said profession, you can loose the XP and level up in something else.

Pre-NGE SWG worked perfectly like this. Having to pick your class even before you set foot on a planet is a little disappointing, in my opinion.
Putting the smug into Smuggler

CharagonIGN
01.06.2012 , 09:49 AM | #7
Balance? What's that?

DarrkLore
01.06.2012 , 10:01 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Geeluc View Post
Personally, I would like to have seen you make a toon, plop him/her on a start planet, but then you choose what you want to be come at say, level 10 and you can train and level in your chosen profession. Then, if you don't like said profession, you can loose the XP and level up in something else.

Pre-NGE SWG worked perfectly like this. Having to pick your class even before you set foot on a planet is a little disappointing, in my opinion.
Well you technically do pick your real class at level 10 in this game. It's your pre-class so to speak that you pick initially. And even if that were the final choice for your class, a lot of MMOs do it that way. But it would be nice if they would let you undo your AC choice after a few levels if you find out you don't like it.
ε╬╣!!!!╠▀▀{}▀(████████████████████████████████████████)

Rabbio
01.06.2012 , 11:13 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Geeluc View Post
I agree with the OP, that there are only a few classes, with a 'good and bad' theme on each and a few different skills (although, I've not played them all, and I know the stories etc are different).

I came from the good old days of SWG. There used to be 32 classes at first, till the NGE kicked in. And Jedi had to be unlocked with a series of quests.

SWG was much more of an open-ended sandbox MMO than a traditional MMO. To automatically expect that same gameplay style to carry over into another game is a research problem.

Virtually every MMO uses the standard class system. You choose before you use, and no going back. In TOR's case, you choose a base class and an advanced class later. This has been known for quite some time.