Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why no imperial trooper


ColonelColt's Avatar


ColonelColt
01.05.2012 , 09:09 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
The problem being that Imperial Troopers? Aren't important. At all. It would be hard to make a storyline about someone who has absolutely no power in the Empire at all.
They're just as important as republic troopers. Republic troopers have absolutely no power in the republic. They can't influence politics, they can't have their way. They follow orders. How's that any different from imperial troopers?

CupieFoxtail's Avatar


CupieFoxtail
01.05.2012 , 09:09 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ColonelColt View Post
To be honest, I'll never understand who thought it would be a good idea to put Smugglers as rep classes and BH as Imp. BH's work for whoever pays, hell the BH storyline even has them going after Imperials. Same with Smugglers.
Bounty hunters are focused heavily around killing
Smugglers are just focused around stealing, which is significantly less severe
And you probably haven't played the smuggler questline, but you start out freelance and become a republic privateer in act 2.

PJEBarlow's Avatar


PJEBarlow
01.05.2012 , 09:09 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
The problem being that Imperial Troopers? Aren't important. At all. It would be hard to make a storyline about someone who has absolutely no power in the Empire at all.
Republic troopers don't have any power in the lore either, they follow orders.

The only troopers we saw in the movies were mindless clones.

Quote: Originally Posted by ColonelColt View Post
They're just as important as republic troopers. Republic troopers have absolutely no power in the republic. They can't influence politics, they can't have their way. They follow orders. How's that any different from imperial troopers?
Beat me to it.

CrushSoda's Avatar


CrushSoda
01.05.2012 , 09:09 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
The problem being that Imperial Troopers? Aren't important. At all. It would be hard to make a storyline about someone who has absolutely no power in the Empire at all.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

ColonelColt's Avatar


ColonelColt
01.05.2012 , 09:11 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by CupieFoxtail View Post
Bounty hunters are focused heavily around killing
Smugglers are just focused around stealing, which is significantly less severe
And you probably haven't played the smuggler questline, but you start out freelance and become a republic privateer in act 2.
Doesn't change anything. The republic made heavy use of Bounty Hunters throughout it's entire history. Senators are not paragons of justice. Same way empire's have made use of smugglers. Both get employed equally by both sides. They get employed by both sides in various storylines. As such it makes no sense for them to be faction specific. Many of the classes should have been cross-faction.

krisslanza's Avatar


krisslanza
01.05.2012 , 09:13 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ColonelColt View Post
They're just as important as republic troopers. Republic troopers have absolutely no power in the republic. They can't influence politics, they can't have their way. They follow orders. How's that any different from imperial troopers?
Not entirely true. The Republic Trooper is special forces. They're several rungs on the ladder higher then rank and file.

The Imperials? The HIGHEST rank a non-Sith can ever achieve is an Agent. Everyone else? Garbage that can be killed because a Sith Lord is in a bad mood and you happened to be around.

ColonelColt's Avatar


ColonelColt
01.05.2012 , 09:15 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Not entirely true. The Republic Trooper is special forces. They're several rungs on the ladder higher then rank and file.

The Imperials? The HIGHEST rank a non-Sith can ever achieve is an Agent. Everyone else? Garbage that can be killed because a Sith Lord is in a bad mood and you happened to be around.
This is not at all how it works. Besides, special forces or not they still have no authority. They have more flexibility, but that does not equate to power. They are still held on a leash just the same as every other trooper in the republic.

Also, do you honestly believe the Empire doesn't have special forces? Their agents are analogs of republic SIS agents, not special forces troopers. The Empire has said in numerous quests that they as well have special forces. And agent isn't a rank in the military, it's part of Intelligence. It's the CIA of the Empire, entirely independent of the Military.

Bottom line, there is no reason why the Empire couldn't have a trooper. Woulda been far better then bounty hunters playing the mirror of a soldier.

Pyrolight's Avatar


Pyrolight
01.05.2012 , 09:18 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by ColonelColt View Post
They're just as important as republic troopers. Republic troopers have absolutely no power in the republic. They can't influence politics, they can't have their way. They follow orders. How's that any different from imperial troopers?
While more or less true the gap between Sith and Imperial trooper is far greater then Jedi and Imperial trooper.

Hell a slave acolyte is higher in the pecking order then an imperial trooper.

Imperial troopers are complete cannon fodder where as the Republic troopers are more a kin to roman soldiers. That is they are low but have potential to become respected, Imperial troopers never have that opportunity.

That is what I get from it anyway.

ColonelColt's Avatar


ColonelColt
01.05.2012 , 09:20 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Pyrolight View Post
While more or less true the gap between Sith and Imperial trooper is far greater then Jedi and Imperial trooper.

Hell a slave acolyte is higher in the pecking order then an imperial trooper.

Imperial troopers are complete cannon fodder where as the Republic troopers are more a kin to roman soldiers. That is they are low but have potential to become respected, Imperial troopers never have that opportunity.

That is what I get from it anyway.
This is true, but this is also a GOOD thing. Just because you mirror a class doesn't mean you mirror their story. So while there could be an imperial trooper class, it'd have it's own unique story. And it could involve the different dynamics between soldiers and their superiors in the Empire. Showcase how sith run everything and even a lowly acolyte is a 'Lord' to you.

krisslanza's Avatar


krisslanza
01.05.2012 , 09:20 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by ColonelColt View Post
This is not at all how it works. Besides, special forces or not they still have no authority. They have more flexibility, but that does not equate to power. They are still held on a leash just the same as every other trooper in the republic.

Also, do you honestly believe the Empire doesn't have special forces? Their agents are analogs of republic SIS agents, not special forces troopers. The Empire has said in numerous quests that they as well have special forces. And agent isn't a rank in the military, it's part of Intelligence. It's the CIA of the Empire, entirely independent of the Military.

Bottom line, there is no reason why the Empire couldn't have a trooper. Woulda been far better then bounty hunters playing the mirror of a soldier.
You're again overestimating the importance of soldiers in the Empire. They have zero authority of any kind. Republic troopers at least have some, particularly the special forces.

And yes the Agent isn't military, but the game flat out mentions that an Imperial Agent is the pinnacle of power any non-Sith can ever hope to achieve in the Empire. Although I think even a slave acolyte has more authority and power then an Agent.