Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Scoundrel Vs Gunslinger

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Scoundrel Vs Gunslinger

StealthNerf
01.06.2012 , 08:12 AM | #11
It's a little harder to take some gunslinger builds down in melee than others.

Dirty fighting builds have escape abilities and are difficult to CC, while saboteurs have some unique defensive moves. Sharpshooters will rely a lot on not getting into melee in the first place.

Valsdad
01.06.2012 , 08:26 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Xruptor View Post
I'll admit I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm having a really tough time deciding which class and AC would be appropriate for what I'm looking for. (Please avoid any thoughts of overpoweredness and such, I don't care about that. I'm looking more into versatility and cohesion in PVP.)

In this thread I made: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=136638&page=3

I explained how I'm looking for an overall class that can provide support, hold their ground, and deal dps. They can do fine in 1v1 if its in their advantage. Like all PVP and MMO's some classes will always be able to kill you. I understand that

Originally I was going to go Commando. However, I've recently learned it's a one skill pony basically. I don't want to do that ;( I like a challenge and being able to have abilities and versatility.

I would really like to hear more opinions on Gunslingers vrs Scoundrels. I'm really torn between the two. Both playstyles appeal to me. I like the bunker down burst damage of the Gunslinger but it seems to me that it's a hindrance really and they can be taken down easily in melee. I'm not completely sure about the scoundrel really. A melee stealth class, it seems to me once your initial burst in stealth is out your pretty much fodder. Not sure if I'd like to be useless after stealth.

Any advice would be great!
Well, a scrapper scoundrel is not going to hold his own in open PvP and once you've blown your opener and lost the element of surprise, you're going to have to outplay pretty much every other build in the game to win 1v1. Thankfully, your opener is so devastating and distracting that most players aren't going to be able to recover before you finish them.

I think that the scrapper is a bit of a niche build in that you truly have to love the concept to enjoy it. Personally, I think kicking a kid in the junk and then running behind him to empty a shotgun into his head is just about the greatest mechanic I've ever seen in any game I've ever played.
Overtrebel, a right and proper scoundrel

Xruptor
01.06.2012 , 08:31 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Xruptor View Post
I'll admit I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm having a really tough time deciding which class and AC would be appropriate for what I'm looking for. (Please avoid any thoughts of overpoweredness and such, I don't care about that. I'm looking more into versatility and cohesion in PVP.)

In this thread I made: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=136638&page=3

I explained how I'm looking for an overall class that can provide support, hold their ground, and deal dps. They can do fine in 1v1 if its in their advantage. Like all PVP and MMO's some classes will always be able to kill you. I understand that

Originally I was going to go Commando. However, I've recently learned it's a one skill pony basically. I don't want to do that ;( I like a challenge and being able to have abilities and versatility.

I would really like to hear more opinions on Gunslingers vrs Scoundrels. I'm really torn between the two. Both playstyles appeal to me. I like the bunker down burst damage of the Gunslinger but it seems to me that it's a hindrance really and they can be taken down easily in melee. I'm not completely sure about the scoundrel really. A melee stealth class, it seems to me once your initial burst in stealth is out your pretty much fodder. Not sure if I'd like to be useless after stealth.

Any advice would be great!

Quote: Originally Posted by Valsdad View Post
Well, a scrapper scoundrel is not going to hold his own in open PvP and once you've blown your opener and lost the element of surprise, you're going to have to outplay pretty much every other build in the game to win 1v1. Thankfully, your opener is so devastating and distracting that most players aren't going to be able to recover before you finish them.

I think that the scrapper is a bit of a niche build in that you truly have to love the concept to enjoy it. Personally, I think kicking a kid in the junk and then running behind him to empty a shotgun into his head is just about the greatest mechanic I've ever seen in any game I've ever played.

Thanks for the insight, can you tell me anything about Gunslinger? Advantages/Disadvantages. Survivability and being able to hold their ground (lol you know what I mean). Looking at all the alternatives really and deciding what best fits my playstyle.

StealthNerf
01.06.2012 , 08:40 AM | #14
I'd suggest reading this post for an overview of the gunslinger:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=111580

The thing with gunslinger is there's multiple ways to deal damage, whereas with the Scoundrel, as said, you really need to enjoy the whole shotgun concept.

Valsdad
01.06.2012 , 08:46 AM | #15
What I get from a friend of mine who plays a Gunslinger is that it is a turret class, but he enjoys that play style and he still gets the awesome smuggler story and extras. He also played an elemental shaman in WoW (If you don't know, an elemental shaman is a true turret type caster build). But, I think he secretly has shotgun envy...

It truly depends on what you want to do. Scoundrel and Gunslinger are two entirely different class types, and the Dirty Fighting shared tree is.. I won't say useless for scoundrels, but it isn't very optimal or efficient. So, if you want to be DPS as a scoundrel, you really only have the melee tree as an option. Whereas the gunslinger has 3 functioning, and fun DPS trees to choose from. I hear that Sab specced gunslingers wreck pure shop at endgame.
Overtrebel, a right and proper scoundrel

Wolfninjajedi
01.06.2012 , 09:07 AM | #16
I assume the majority of smugglers here are scoundrels. Good thing I went gunslinger.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Calcifar
01.06.2012 , 09:43 AM | #17
Check http://www.twitch.tv/brumgaming for some lv 50 gunslinger pvp, i think hes still dirty fighting specced.

Synesism
01.06.2012 , 10:35 AM | #18
I'm a level 20 Gunslinger/Sharpshooter spec. and so far I love it. I havn't done that much PVP but the ones I have done, (5 or 6) I have been in the top 5 everytime. If you play your cards right you can do fine and I'm assuming it only gets better.

In PVE I do great damage....If that's all you want out of PVE, a sharpshooter rocks.

Just my 2 credits.

Legoon
01.10.2012 , 05:47 PM | #19
I have no experience of slinger, can't really be bothered playing through the same story line twice.

Anyhoo I play a Rogue in WoW and I found scoundrel to be just perfect- also have a max hunter, just don't like range.
I just hate not being able to stealth, though it has to be said- scoundrel is a melee (yeah and heal- but leveling - your melee) class, you can do the duck and cover stuff and still kill mobs (haven't done a timer on a 1v1 elite mob, but its bout the same difference, odd occasion its a benefit to cover) but your dps really comes from breaking out of stealth with a shot gun, it really plays a bit like what assassination-rogue looks like on paper. Back stab (shotgun) bleed (if its a tough target) pistol whip, then the punch- in-between shoot em in the face. You can also kick them in the nads- really no need to... but I mean... you can kick a guy with a light saber in the nads, then place a shotgun to the back of their head...just saying!

Or you can hide behind some random wall you found and shoot a pair of guns...

Really wish I could show my shotgun when I'm just loitering...that would make the game for me.

You will not find yourself covering in pvp playing scoundrel though, you do need to be on your toes getting your attack in (you do have a vanish to use), and getting away. I'm not particularly good at Swotr pvp atm (done it twice) but i did notice I needed to get an attack in first- support with heals as I could (playing at 15, repertoire was limited)

Vego_Mohenjo
01.11.2012 , 11:23 PM | #20
What's getting me is that this is the "Han Solo" class, and it doesn't feel like Solo at all.

As a Gunslinger, I have to use 2 pistols, and I lack versatility.
As a Scoundrel (which is what Solo would be, I think), I have to use a shotgun (which Solo didn't do), I have no real range on most of my attacks (at least at lower level), and I spend my time healing (something Solo didn't really do).

Maybe this is why I'm having so much trouble with the class.

On the other hand, I'm having a really hard time enjoying my Operative, too. I just can't seem to get into these classes.