Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

From a Goldman Analyst Perspective on SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion

Kugruk
01.05.2012 , 06:25 PM | #21
Awesome read, and I happen to agree completely.

Rion_Starkiller
01.05.2012 , 06:26 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TheHirogen View Post
The moment you said take the game offline for 2months I knew you are not a goldman sachs analyst, or you are and prove how terrible the firm is?! worst suggestion ever and is a guarantee to kill a product 100% of the time unlike keeping it online with less than 100% failure rate.

I do believe if they do not improve costumer support soon this game will fail. It is more important than any bugs currently ingame or lack/missing features.
lol, I knew from the moment I read the title.

Did I mention that I'm the Emperor of Australia?
"that commando" -- Zenod
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.
Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/2XvBj4

Concede
01.05.2012 , 06:26 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by davidpop View Post
If he was that smart, he would have made his own mmo and gotten rich.
except he is an investor not a programmer

MrTijger
01.05.2012 , 06:26 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Xugos View Post
He knows more than the proponents of the success of this game combined. I wouldn't be so dismissing.
You base that on...what exactly?

This professional analyst at least gives us his name:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/12...nts-to-a-heal/

Heliotic
01.05.2012 , 06:26 PM | #25
A real GS analyst would never call themselves a 'goldman analyst'

SnoggyMack
01.05.2012 , 06:27 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Bodypull View Post
As an investor, I look at 3 metrics (in MMO's and MOBA genre titles.)

1: Audience

2: Market Share

3: Long term sustainability (after initial growth.)
The game seems to cater to its audience, which is a larger demographic than just the "gamers" ... which was always the itnention.

The game has a bigger marketshare than every other competitor out there save one.

The long term sustainability depends on Bioware's development team. They have a pretty good track record. As an analyst I'm surprised you're willing to bet against their development team's ability to work long-term and evolve a game.

Quote:
Grind: At 50, HM's, PVP ect all become long grinds

This is strange. Nothing in this game even approaches the types of grinds that World of Warcraft predicated a large portion of its success on.

The initial PVP ranking grind, for instance. There were multiple articles and studies done at the time of its height about how much time investment was required and how physically unhealthy it was. Some of the original faction grinds. I'm very surprised to read someone with so much experience with the genre discuss "grind" in this game.

Quote:
WOW grew to 11 million.
As someone who claims to be analyzing this game from a business and financial standpoint, I'm now very leery of your credentials since you're bandying about World of Warcraft's inflated, asian gold-farming market influenced subscriber numbers.

That works against everything you've suggested lends your analysis weight and expertise. In one fell swoop you showed us that your analysis really does lack the depth and expertise you claimed you had, because you're touting data that most experienced gamers already know is skewed. Yes World of Warcraft is a wildly successful game. And yes it grew really big in the western market. You really never needed to make that point by using the combined western and eastern sub number. The 3 to 4 million U.S. gamers is such a huge number that you only needed to use that.

Overall I find your analysis lacking depth.

But at least I read it. Most people will just tldr it.
Snoggy Mack
My Blog
My quote: "All the other kids with the pumped up Sith, you better run, better run, faster than my blaster"

TheHirogen
01.05.2012 , 06:27 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
lol, I knew from the moment I read the title.

No one in their right mind could ever reccomend killing a product in order to save it, it defeats the purpose afterall. Only time you say stop productionis when saving money on failure, saving a company or saving yourself from a hefty lawsuit or jailtime. None of that is applicablein this case. By the way, how is it being emperor? :P
Bioware quotes- "Twilight owns" "QUEL HORREUR" "JAMES JOYCE SUCKS" "DEAL WITH IT" "BUTTON AWESOME" "It was a bug" "expect increased fidelity" "Some people are just haters"

MrTijger
01.05.2012 , 06:27 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Concede View Post
except he is an investor not a programmer
Analyst is not an investor.

SnoggyMack
01.05.2012 , 06:28 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Pretty sure Terrance Stamp bestowed that title to Gene Hackman. So you're Gene Hackman? Neat!
Snoggy Mack
My Blog
My quote: "All the other kids with the pumped up Sith, you better run, better run, faster than my blaster"

Daeborn
01.05.2012 , 06:29 PM | #30
Quote:
Odd, I guess you can explain to us why you guys failed back in 2008 and almost brought down the US economy too as well as guessing why TOR might fail?

Oh, you're track record doesn't take into consideration your failures. At least we, the American public, saved you. Just like we're saving TOR along with help of the rest of the world.

Never mind.