Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Artifice Is completely worthless.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Artifice Is completely worthless.

CBGB
01.05.2012 , 08:15 PM | #11
As a Biochemist, I have a lot of sympathy for the OP here, though this needs clarifying:

Quote: Originally Posted by SardaTFK View Post
I can't make anything thats BOP and gives me some sort of boost like a Biochem gets with their medkits.
By far the cheapest way to be a Biochemist is to choose another profession and buy your medkits. The amount of money I've sunk into creating Reusable kits would easily have supported other upgrades in addition to a packful of regular medkits. Like Artifice, there's no clear financial value here, though I do find it a fun supplement to fighting.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthNorik View Post
400 artifice here on Warriors of the Shadow, I sell the artifice level 39 color crystals for 22k a pop and they sell out before the auction is over. To each his own I guess.
Interesting - I know I don't buy them, as what I get from questing usually outpaces what I'd have to spend on the GTN.

I wonder if Crafting is specifically made this way to deter gold-grinders.
Ebon Hawk: Kurek, Op. Anvar, Merc. Kalek, Sorc. Jurat, Sage. Jagen, Commando. Jaxis, Scoundrel.

xorv
01.05.2012 , 08:19 PM | #12
In my guild on Lord Praven there's a few cybertechs that claim that at least for now ship mods sell well. I've seen on Cor- people selling crystals. Might be a market there.

xorv
01.05.2012 , 08:21 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by CBGB View Post
As a Biochemist, I have a lot of sympathy for the OP here, though this needs clarifying:

By far the cheapest way to be a Biochemist is to choose another profession and buy your medkits. The amount of money I've sunk into creating Reusable kits would easily have supported other upgrades in addition to a packful of regular medkits. Like Artifice, there's no clear financial value here, though I do find it a fun supplement to fighting.

Interesting - I know I don't buy them, as what I get from questing usually outpaces what I'd have to spend on the GTN.

I wonder if Crafting is specifically made this way to deter gold-grinders.
Wered because on my server bio stuff seems to have a market.

CBGB
01.05.2012 , 08:33 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by xorv View Post
Wered because on my server bio stuff seems to have a market.
Are you on a PvP server, by any chance? I'm on PvE, and I wonder if that makes a difference in demand for stims.
Ebon Hawk: Kurek, Op. Anvar, Merc. Kalek, Sorc. Jurat, Sage. Jagen, Commando. Jaxis, Scoundrel.

JamieKirby
01.05.2012 , 08:40 PM | #15
Actually, i would wish that more crafters would craft items like you do, it would give more stuff to spend credits on and the commendation vendors require too much commendations to be worth jack.

Because you do not get enough commendations to gear up both you and your companion(s) and thats where crafters come in, the general idea of a real economy is a symbiotic type of thing, where gatherers gather the materials and sell them to crafters via the GTN and the crafters use those materials to craft a vast array of items, ranging from colour crystals to hilts and stuff like that.

But sadly 90% of all crafters just care about themselves and refuse to pay more then 200cr per stack of crafting materials and they wonder why they don't make a profit? because hardly anyone thinks its worth gathering when crafters are so freaking cheap and everyone wonders why the economy in this game sucks.

Because crafters need gatherers and gatherers need crafters, its always been like that, but what needs to change is everyones' greed.

Derkon
01.05.2012 , 08:58 PM | #16
My top purple Enhancement is a lv50 *daily* quest reward. Why?!

Balmuck
01.05.2012 , 09:45 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
Actually, i would wish that more crafters would craft items like you do, it would give more stuff to spend credits on and the commendation vendors require too much commendations to be worth jack.

Because you do not get enough commendations to gear up both you and your companion(s) and thats where crafters come in, the general idea of a real economy is a symbiotic type of thing, where gatherers gather the materials and sell them to crafters via the GTN and the crafters use those materials to craft a vast array of items, ranging from colour crystals to hilts and stuff like that.

But sadly 90% of all crafters just care about themselves and refuse to pay more then 200cr per stack of crafting materials and they wonder why they don't make a profit? because hardly anyone thinks its worth gathering when crafters are so freaking cheap and everyone wonders why the economy in this game sucks.

Because crafters need gatherers and gatherers need crafters, its always been like that, but what needs to change is everyones' greed.
Anyone who claims as you do, haven't come close to being level 50.

Why would anyone give a **** about lower level gear when it becomes useless and pointless to wear after a few levels? Are you going to be buying pieces that are 100-200k a piece? I think not... You want something cheap and decent and low level which will NEVER cost enough money to at least match the money spent on gathering those purple low level matts.

Get to level 50 and go to Illum and Belsavis.. Do your easy dailies and see how easy it is to get the purple mods they offer vs crafting one yourself. Then decide for yourself if it's actually worth to have any other craft except biochem.

It's not being selfish when you can't even make enough money to cover the cost of the missions for the item you're trying to make... That's just horrible game mechanics which they ALWAYS knew about yet decided to do nothing.
FULKAN

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Guen
01.05.2012 , 09:53 PM | #18
Agreed. Crafting is a huge time and money sink with very little reward. I keep saying it and I'll say it again. When you can make more money and have better gear as a Non-crafter than you can as a crafter, then the crafting system in your game is a broken one.

At least give artificers a rare color crystal recipe when they reach 400.

MrDeas
01.05.2012 , 09:58 PM | #19
I have to agree with OP. But then again I realised this and swapped artifice for Synthweaving which is a far easier way of solving it for me.
Gandalf knows what to do!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9mgDXRY5fM

Aricus
01.05.2012 , 11:24 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by pokota View Post
"when they can just regularly buy the blue ones off the commendation vendors"

Most crafters can sympathize. Heck, I have 400 Cybertech, and I almost never make Armoring or Mods for myself. They're provided for me free of charge with quests or commendations. Crafting is simply not intended to be a part of this game, it's more of a "here, now shut up" bone BioWare threw out to keep people who like to swim in player-driven economy quiet.

I'm not saying this to whine or complain, I'm simply stating a fact: BioWare's delegation of player economy and crafting to an inconsequential status will likely cause me to lose interest in this game far earlier than would otherwise be the case. I simply do not understand why they have so much disdain for this aspect of the MMO genre.
Actually this is a whine, how do you know all this isn't a simple mistake, something hugely over looked?

I am betting it was a huge mistake that was over-looked. They're not going to neglect an important part of the game which i can tell they put a good deal of effort into. Part of the companion system was mainly comprised from crafting.