Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How do you gear your companions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
How do you gear your companions?

gkshow
01.05.2012 , 04:20 PM | #1
I'm level 23 atm, just arrived at Nar Shadda as a Sith Assasin.

I mainly have put quest rewards on Khem Val, but I've been reading the importance of gearing up your companion.

Do you guys spend money on buying stuff off of the GTM for your companion? Or just go with quest rewards?

Also, which companions I should "focus" gearing up?

Thanks!

Xargyn
01.05.2012 , 04:38 PM | #2
I gear up the companion I use the most with the best gear that I can find for them. Quest rewards and items that drop off mobs. If I have extra commendations I will buy items for them using those.

I then worry about gearing up my other companions. I try to keep my healing companion geared up since I'm on a PvP server. But since I'm a tank I completely ignore my tanking companions. Although once I hit 50 I'll probably throw them some gear that would otherwise be vendored.
CE VIP Remember when this was a big deal?

Sun-Runner
01.05.2012 , 06:43 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by gkshow View Post
I'm level 23 atm, just arrived at Nar Shadda as a Sith Assasin.

I mainly have put quest rewards on Khem Val, but I've been reading the importance of gearing up your companion.

Do you guys spend money on buying stuff off of the GTM for your companion? Or just go with quest rewards?
After my character is geared, commendations, guild-/self- crafting and credits-on-the-GTN to upgrade my preferred companion.

Quote:
Also, which companions I should "focus" gearing up?
As a Sith Assassin? As Assassins are a tank class, bouncing aggro back and forth between you and Khem is probably your best bet at that level. Once you get your healer, Talos Drellik, which you get on Hoth, experiment with that companion to see if it works better for you.

Kagek
01.05.2012 , 06:47 PM | #4
I use the Commendations at the end of each planet on the Mods or Equipment for my main Companion. Bracers and Belts just get upgraded from drops. Think I bought the earpiece and was making my own implants.

Sykomyke
01.06.2012 , 10:21 AM | #5
Any armor I find with relative secondary stats are given to my companions. My hand-me-down armor is given to my companions as I find upgrades for my own armor pieces.

I save up commendations and buy the Artifact Quality box from each planet (I usually have enough commendations to buy 2) and then give the gear to my companions. As such they are usually decked out in hand me down blues/purples/oranges. Also by some lucky streak I've found a decent amount of orange gear/greeded orange gear from FP's that was able to be used on my companions.

My healer (Quinn) actually heals non-crit with med scan for 820 health.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Sith Empire

AnubisXy
01.06.2012 , 01:40 PM | #6
My first character was a Powertech Bounty Hunter. I'd gear myself first, then I'd gear up Mako to keep me healed. No problem.

My second character was an Operative. Leveling was a bit harder until I stared gearing up my tank companion first, then gearing myself. With my tank companion in blue/orange gear, I was frequently soloing Heroic 2+ missions and had no problem with normal/class missions.
"He doesn't use the Force. He just uses... force."