Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

GTN Mat Pricing / Successful Armormech

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
GTN Mat Pricing / Successful Armormech

Arch-Stanton
01.05.2012 , 04:12 PM | #1
I've found a lucrative niche on the GTN for Armormech items, but one of the raw mats I need is a Level 1 Scavenged Metal, Agrinium. Agrinium is purple and its pretty rare to come across in scavenging missions. Now that my Scavenging skill level is much higher I have no real use for all of the crap mats I'm picking up while trying to get the random Agrinium mats, and the low level scavenging missions looking for Agrinium are not helping advance my scavenging skill anymore, either.

Since Agrinium isn't sold at any crew skills vendor (that I've found) I turned to the GTN, but the prices people are asking there are astronomical. I have never played WOW or any other MMO with a trade market, so I have two general questions:

1. Are the mat prices on the GTN stable yet or are they expected to come down over time? I get the feeling that a lot of the market demand hasn't settled out yet, and some commodity mats haven't really stabilized into a viable selling price. Based on previous MMO markets, what can we expect for GTN mat prices in the future?

2. Does anyone know of other avenues for obtaining mats than the GTN, crew missions, or crew skills vendors? I know you can trade with other players somehow, but not sure of best way of approaching this.

DuceHason
01.05.2012 , 04:21 PM | #2
1. Are the mat prices on the GTN stable yet or are they expected to come down over time? I get the feeling that a lot of the market demand hasn't settled out yet, and some commodity mats haven't really stabilized into a viable selling price. Based on previous MMO markets, what can we expect for GTN mat prices in the future?

2. Does anyone know of other avenues for obtaining mats than the GTN, crew missions, or crew skills vendors? I know you can trade with other players somehow, but not sure of best way of approaching this.[/QUOTE]

It is safe to say that the market is no where near stable yet, and don't forget about the world nodes for gathering of resources as well.

For BioChem on Coruscant alone I was able to gather enough goo to go from 0 to 100 in BioChem from just one area.
Atari, Commodore VIC-20, NES, SNES, DOS to Win 7, Xbox 360, Wii

UO 5yrs, SWG 8yrs, EVE since 2/9/07, SWTOR Since 12/13/11

JRastenn
01.05.2012 , 04:30 PM | #3
As Duce said, prices are nowhere near settled. The game is not even a month old yet, things will change over time. That said, are you sure you're running the right missions? Agrinium is an Underworld metal, not scavenge, so you need to be doing Underworld Trading missions. Maybe that's what you meant, but thought I'd point it out just in case.

Arch-Stanton
01.05.2012 , 04:43 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JRastenn View Post
As Duce said, prices are nowhere near settled. The game is not even a month old yet, things will change over time. That said, are you sure you're running the right missions? Agrinium is an Underworld metal, not scavenge, so you need to be doing Underworld Trading missions. Maybe that's what you meant, but thought I'd point it out just in case.
Yes, I meant to say Underworld, not scavenging. Duce has good idea with world nodes, but since it is Underworld Trading I don't think there are any.

Another Question:

As your mission crew skills increases, do you get more items from lower level crew missions? For example, if I was lvl 400 Underworld Trading, would I get more mats from a lvl 1 UT metals mission or would I get the same amount of mats as when I'm starting out? In other words, does your crew skill level affect how many mats you bring home from a mission, or just what missions are available and your success rate?

ZombieGiraffe
01.05.2012 , 05:35 PM | #5
One thing you learn quick about the economy in MMOs is that (with the exception of EvE online). Is that nobody understands basic economics.

Every MMO I've ever played the low level crafting materials are worth 50x more then the product they produce.

In WoW, you can go out and gather copper bars, turn them into 600 copper boots and sell them for 4 copper each to a vendor, or just sell the copper bars on the AH for 10g a stack.

In WoW, again, the ingredients needed to make potions would sell for more in total then the potions themselves. In fact, the only way alchemy was profitible was if you got LUCKY on elixer mastery multiple elixer crits.

Basically, in these WoWclone economies, you are only using the early ranks (1-399) as fodder to get to the 400 bind on pickup recipes for yourself. If you want to make money its best to just gather and sell mats.

JRastenn
01.05.2012 , 06:05 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Arch-Stanton View Post
As your mission crew skills increases, do you get more items from lower level crew missions? For example, if I was lvl 400 Underworld Trading, would I get more mats from a lvl 1 UT metals mission or would I get the same amount of mats as when I'm starting out? In other words, does your crew skill level affect how many mats you bring home from a mission, or just what missions are available and your success rate?
So far as I know, it's just availability and success rate. I don't believe anything other than 'crits' affects how many items you get, outside of a little randomness.

Jenarie
01.05.2012 , 09:30 PM | #7
Low level crafting ingredients tend to stay expensive because people level quickly through those levels so they don't spend a lot of time gathering them. You can never really expect to buy the rares for less than you can sell the item unless you get lucky occasionally with a seller who is just dumping stock to clear inventory space and doesn't really know what they are worth. Rares stay expensive and the armor tends to stay cheap - no one is going to pay a huge amount of credits for something they know they will out level in a few hours of playing.

Not saying you can't make a decent living selling this stuff - if you found a niche then you are doing it right. And keep checking for that rare find where someone way underpriced the mats. But overall - assuming crafting stays true to other MMO models - you aren't going to make much profit selling crafted items if you buy the ingredients rather than farming them yourself.

Arch-Stanton
01.05.2012 , 11:43 PM | #8
I agree, margins are low, but so far I can still turn a pretty good daily profit with buying rare mats, there's just no going market rate for them. I just wish it would stabilize a little, I feel like I'm buying Nike's in Cuba right now.

One of the things I've noticed is that tier 2 purple crafted items (see Reverse Engineering guide sticky if not sure what I mean) almost always require a rare purple mat to manufacture. Purple mats do not show up very often at all in crew skills missions, and when they finally do they are usually in small quantities. And if it happens to be an Underworld Trading mat or some other skill with no world drops, then alternative options are almost non-existent.

Do all of the crew skills vendors on every planet have the exact same product offering set? I'll be honest, as an armormech i think i only recognized one or two mats from the offering list, and those were very common/simple to obtain from crew skills. If crew skills vendors are different on different planets, can anyone give me a planet that has a decent crew skills vendor for armormech?