Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

10.09V reading on +12V rail = not good?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
10.09V reading on +12V rail = not good?

simplistic
01.05.2012 , 03:45 PM | #1
My 550 Watt Antec PSU seems to be reporting a 10.09V reading on the +12V rail through CPUID. This is not good news correct?
Vörketh
Sith Inquisitor Madness Sorcerer
Anchorhead PvP

WutsInAName
01.05.2012 , 03:48 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by simplistic View Post
My 550 Watt Antec PSU seems to be reporting a 10.09V reading on the +12V rail through CPUID. This is not good news correct?

that is correct, to give you a dumbed down analogy.

If your automatic door locks or seat in your car which operate on 12v accessory wire only receive 10.?v, guess what? They do not work....period.

If you have a decent vid card I would recommend a 600W power supply, they are cheap anyway <50$

DonTickles
01.05.2012 , 03:52 PM | #3
Yeah it is a bad thing. Your computer should be able to handle a +/- 5% deviation at most, but circa 10V is right out.

Thermaltake has a handy PSU wattage calculator. Im wary of posting the link as it may be misconstrued as advertising, but it can be found through your fav search engine.

It should give you a good estimate on what you need.
*~*~*This is my creative forum signature.*~*~*

simplistic
01.05.2012 , 03:52 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by WutsInAName View Post
that is correct, to give you a dumbed down analogy.

If your automatic door locks or seat in your car which operate on 12v accessory wire only receive 10.?v, guess what? They do not work....period.

If you have a decent vid card I would recommend a 600W power supply, they are cheap anyway <50$
Thank you, this would explain why the game has been blue screening/restarting my PC when playing SWTOR. I have a Radeon HD 5850 1GB (single gpu only) but the Antec PSU is about 6 years old now...thank you for this!
Vörketh
Anchorhead PvP

simplistic
01.05.2012 , 03:54 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DonTickles View Post
Yeah it is a bad thing. Your computer should be able to handle a +/- 5% deviation at most, but circa 10V is right out.

Thermaltake has a handy PSU wattage calculator. Im wary of posting the link as it may be misconstrued as advertising, but it can be found through your fav search engine.

It should give you a good estimate on what you need.
Thank you. Obviously, blue screens are not good but will this/has this damaged any of my hardware do you think?
Vörketh
Anchorhead PvP

DonTickles
01.05.2012 , 04:04 PM | #6
Thank you. Obviously, blue screens are not good but will this/has this damaged any of my hardware do you think?
Possibly, but not always. Undervolting and overvolting can cause overheating depending on what component is powered. However, you have less of a chance of breaking things from undervolting.

When the warhammer MMO came out and I upgraded my video card and I had this problem. The only thing I had to worry about after replacing my PSU was re-installing my OS. If you got a blue-screen then shutdown you are most likely okay. But a shutdown without a proper HDD park can cause some corruption, which it did for me.

Alltogether I don't think you will have any issues. No need to jump on a reformat unless its something you do often anyway, chances are everything else is fine.
*~*~*This is my creative forum signature.*~*~*

simplistic
01.05.2012 , 04:08 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DonTickles View Post
Possibly, but not always. Undervolting and overvolting can cause overheating depending on what component is powered. However, you have less of a chance of breaking things from undervolting.

When the warhammer MMO came out and I upgraded my video card and I had this problem. The only thing I had to worry about after replacing my PSU was re-installing my OS. If you got a blue-screen then shutdown you are most likely okay. But a shutdown without a proper HDD park can cause some corruption, which it did for me.

Alltogether I don't think you will have any issues. No need to jump on a reformat unless its something you do often anyway, chances are everything else is fine.
Good to hear, thank you!
Vörketh
Anchorhead PvP

simplistic
01.05.2012 , 04:19 PM | #8
Well, I was able to boost the volts to 10.87 by throwing all my fans speeds on low setting while maintaining adequate CPU temps (30C - 37C idle) unsure when running SWTOR but we'll see...
Vörketh
Anchorhead PvP

Khoryphos
01.05.2012 , 04:20 PM | #9
Probably not. You don't sound like you are getting enough voltage which cause malfunction but shouldn't fry anything. I would replace the Power Supply asap though. If it isn't regulating voltage correctly you could get a spike and then you will see some damage.

I recommend something 600w+. Efficiency degrades over time so I like to go a bit higher. 620 or 650 if you can. More if you want to add hardware or upgrade down the road.

My suggestion:

Don't buy because its cheap. PSU is the one component that can cause the most damage to your system. You usually get what you pay for with PSUs. Go with a reputable brand. Antec is good. I like Corsair myself. There are a few others, but always research a brand before you buy. I also recommend going modular if you can. Less clutter makes for better airflow, cooler temps and longer lasting components.

A poster above mentioned them for going for $50 or less. I don't see anything on Newegg I would touch priced less than $65. If you want modular then $80-$100. Definitely shop around though.

Good reading:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...l#xtor=RSS-182

simplistic
01.05.2012 , 04:28 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Khoryphos View Post
Probably not. You don't sound like you are getting enough voltage which cause malfunction but shouldn't fry anything. I would replace the Power Supply asap though. If it isn't regulating voltage correctly you could get a spike and then you will see some damage.

I recommend something 600w+. Efficiency degrades over time so I like to go a bit higher. 620 or 650 if you can. More if you want to add hardware or upgrade down the road.

My suggestion:

Don't buy because its cheap. PSU is the one component that can cause the most damage to your system. You usually get what you pay for with PSUs. Go with a reputable brand. Antec is good. I like Corsair myself. There are a few others, but always research a brand before you buy. I also recommend going modular if you can. Less clutter makes for better airflow, cooler temps and longer lasting components.

A poster above mentioned them for going for $50 or less. I don't see anything on Newegg I would touch priced less than $65. If you want modular then $80-$100. Definitely shop around though.

Good reading:

Thanks! I currently looking at an Antec 750 Watt going for $99. That way I'll be able to upgrade down the road as you stated. Thanks all for the responses. I was worried that it was my cpu or ram or vid card causing the black screens and 1 time blue screen (all occurred while playing SWTOR) but it appears to be my PSU (it is 6 years old so it makes sense). Thanks again!
Vörketh
Anchorhead PvP