Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Battle for Illum, Krel Thak Questions

HeatherRae
01.05.2012 , 01:12 PM | #1
To preface this, I successfully completed this instance on Tuesday at level 49 with a BH tank, myself (Sorc), a Sith Assassin and an Imp Agent (I don't know what her AC was, I didn't ask tbh). Everyone but myself was 50.

I tried the instance last night with another BH tank, a Sith Assassin, myself (now 50) and a Sith Jugg (who wasn't in tank stance, but we couldn't find another DPS and he really wanted to go).

Everything was fine until we got to Krel Thak. In fact the difference was so massive that I'm wondering at this point if I hallucinated how easy it was on Tuesday versus last night. But, suffice it to say, we could not get past the boss, and I can't figure out what was going wrong.

Everything would be fine and people would be 100% health and shielded going into the point where he blinds everyone and calls in adds. Then all of the sudden, everyone but me was taking massive damage - and when I say massive, I saw the Jugg's health go from 100% to less than 20% in what appeared to be 1, maybe 2 hits (it happened in less than two seconds). The tank seemed mostly fine, he would get low but would stabilize, but even blowing through most of my Force using big heals, I couldn't seem to keep the DPS up through that portion of the fight. I would manage to save one, the other would die, and then the next time, the one I'd previously saved would die, and then the tank, and then me.

We tried this four times and we wiped each time. I finally said I didn't want more repair bills and called it. But I'm wondering why last night was so radically different from the fight I did on Tuesday. I don't remember that much massive damage going out on the DPS during that phase. Is there something I'm missing? Something I'm doing wrong? I put out massive heals, and it just wasn't enough.

I'd welcome some insight into the situation. Did we just need more DPS? :-\ I'm at a loss here.

sirlonestar
01.05.2012 , 02:25 PM | #2
stuns, cool downs, cc

i did it with a warrior tank and my self warrior dps
tank smashed for starting threat stuns them fallowed by me by the time it wore off last add was dying

envenom

HeatherRae
01.05.2012 , 02:33 PM | #3
So you're saying the adds need to be stunned until the tank can get threat on them?

Semiholy
01.05.2012 , 05:55 PM | #4
Melee get ***** because at some points of the combat, boss is buffing himself with "melee shield" (that lasts about 12sec). At that point every non-ranged dps/tank MUST stop dpsing, or will die really fast. It's all intended.
First you have to learn the rules of the game. Then you have to play better than anyone else.

Hammerskyne
01.05.2012 , 06:21 PM | #5
There's two problems here

1: The adds that Krel spawn melee VERY hard. To the tune of 2k on a medium armor character. They spawn ON the group if you don't move the boss at all, so melee end up taking the brunt of the damage

2: The boss uses a buff called something like Shield Probe. When any character hits him in melee range while the buff is up, they take 5-7k damage and get knocked back. because of the laggy nature of any fight with many actors, people can often get 2 or 3 shots off on the boss, and die instantly when all the damage applies. Note this also applies to melee classes AoEing the adds on top of the boss, they'll still be taking that reactive damage.

To make matters worse, these problems persist on hard mode, and are coupled with a VERY short enrage timer, meaning if you have melee, you are probably not going to be able to kill him before he goes 200% damage mode and starts killing people with his previously only 9k grenade damage. Have fun!

Karast
01.05.2012 , 06:27 PM | #6
The easy way to kill him and handle the adds is to kite him away from the entrance and to LoS him a bit on the pillars. As long as the tank holds aggro moving around the pillars breaks his cast abilities due to LoS, and the adds are much easier to deal with since you have more time to get to them and deal with them.

Slomoshun
01.05.2012 , 07:19 PM | #7
Range stay at range

Tank and Melee on boss..

Kill white adds first if its your first attempt(obviously)

Every time he summons adds, ranged and melee and tank blow them up(AOE).

Every time he summons adds, he puts up his shield.

Don't hit boss if his shield is up.

Tank can't taunt boss when his shield is up

When shield drops start to DPS again

Repeat

Victory!

HeatherRae
01.05.2012 , 07:38 PM | #8
I didn't realize the shield was doing damage. But that would make sense why the tank was taking almost no damage (he was a BH) while the two melee were getting nearly insta-gibbed. It also explains why I only remember the Assassin taking a lot of damage on that fight the first time I did it - she was the only Melee in our party at the time.

Thank you so much for the info. I've shared it with the group.