Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

IMO Enrage for Hardmode and Operations is bad mechanic

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
IMO Enrage for Hardmode and Operations is bad mechanic

Monoth
01.05.2012 , 11:07 AM | #1
The Enrage mechanic used in hard mode Flashpoints and Operations only promotes elitistism and forces you to use certain classes over others in order to beat the timer. There has to be better ways to make a boss encounter tough without it one shotting everyone if you don't kill it within a set amount of time.

"We would like to take you on our Operation run but we have the min. healers and min tanks needed and since your not DPS you can't come because if we don't kill the boss in a set amount of time we all die"

"Sorry we don't take your build on Operations you don't do enough DPS"

The Enrage mechanic forces you to use a very specific group of classes and builds... I'm all for challenge but what happen to having fun with your friends and playing classes you enjoy?

Bioware if this is the route your going with all end game content then you better put in DPS Meters so we can find out which classes are the best in order to beat the end game content, also will need free AC changes since certain AC's won't do enough DPS in order to do a Operation so some people will need to switch.

There's got to be a better design to make things challenging without "Boom your dead for taking 10 seconds to long to kill this boss" To me using enrage mechanic is just lazying designing because you don't want to come up with something original and more fun to make the encounter challenging
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Sykomyke
01.05.2012 , 11:36 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
The Enrage mechanic used in hard mode Flashpoints and Operations only promotes elitistism and forces you to use certain classes over others in order to beat the timer. There has to be better ways to make a boss encounter tough without it one shotting everyone if you don't kill it within a set amount of time.

"We would like to take you on our Operation run but we have the min. healers and min tanks needed and since your not DPS you can't come because if we don't kill the boss in a set amount of time we all die"

"Sorry we don't take your build on Operations you don't do enough DPS"

The Enrage mechanic forces you to use a very specific group of classes and builds... I'm all for challenge but what happen to having fun with your friends and playing classes you enjoy?

Bioware if this is the route your going with all end game content then you better put in DPS Meters so we can find out which classes are the best in order to beat the end game content, also will need free AC changes since certain AC's won't do enough DPS in order to do a Operation so some people will need to switch.

There's got to be a better design to make things challenging without "Boom your dead for taking 10 seconds to long to kill this boss" To me using enrage mechanic is just lazying designing because you don't want to come up with something original and more fun to make the encounter challenging
I would agree that enrage timers are a crutch for designers when creating complex/difficult fights. Boss reaches 20% health? Enrage. Boss lives for 1:30 seconds? Enrage.

It's a very frustrating mechanic because of multiple things:
  • There's usually no warning or indication the boss is going to enrage. You just start getting pimp slapped.....hard.
  • Right now battle rez is worthless in 4 man heroics in boss fights. If any one person dies, that pretty much guarantees that the enrage timer will pop before you kill the boss.
  • Did I mention that it's a boring mechanic that is a crutch?
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Sith Empire

drollzito
01.05.2012 , 12:37 PM | #3
I think it is even more complex than that...
Specially for hard modes...

If you are doing hard modes, it means your gear is not good, since it is something u do in order to upgrade ur gear for operations...
If your gear is not good, and you need to dps things down fast in orther to get good gear, it seens kinda of circular reference...

Qcto
01.05.2012 , 12:42 PM | #4
Enrage timers are needed, otherwise you have group of all healers and 1 or 2 tanks with 0 dps as you will eventually kill it. without enrage timers dps classes become time savers.

drollzito
01.05.2012 , 12:45 PM | #5
Not saying it isn't necessary...
But it could take more time b4 going enrage... it is really fast right now...

The only way my group can down HK Hard Mode is by ignoring the turrets and healing trou.... if we try to dps the turret HK goes enrage...
Our gear is not that bad, its around 120 - 130 rating

Phandy
01.05.2012 , 01:42 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Qcto View Post
Enrage timers are needed, otherwise you have group of all healers and 1 or 2 tanks with 0 dps as you will eventually kill it. without enrage timers dps classes become time savers.
Erage timers have always been a silly raid mechanic. It is a lazy design and one that steralizes any diversity in how you can approach those encounters. These timers penalize people who chose to play their class in a manner other then the traditional norm.

As an aside, to have erage timers but not a combat log is beyond silly. You emphasize perfecting DPS but don't give us tools to do so efficiently.

ThePandaAttack
01.05.2012 , 01:50 PM | #7
Enrage timers are necessary at this point, at least until they work out mechanics and figure out how to design interesting encounters. Right now, a fight is two or three gimmicks and an enrage. Not very complex, but they were probably rushed out to meet EA's release date. That said, none of them are particularly bad for what they are. Eventually everyone will outgear them and not have any reason to go back anyway. If we're still seeing 5 or 6 minute zergfest bosses populating raids in the future, then it's time to start worrying.

Mavery
01.05.2012 , 01:58 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by drollzito View Post
Not saying it isn't necessary...
But it could take more time b4 going enrage... it is really fast right now...

The only way my group can down HK Hard Mode is by ignoring the turrets and healing trou.... if we try to dps the turret HK goes enrage...
Our gear is not that bad, its around 120 - 130 rating
The turrets only tickle. It wouldn't be worth killing them even if the enrage wasn't there.

I do disagree with the OP, however. Enrage timers are essential. If you do not have them, then the DPS aren't held accountable to pull their own weight.

That said, I do think some of the enrage timers are a little tight right now.

TheAngryWang
01.05.2012 , 02:14 PM | #9
I don't see the big deal. Enrage is a fairly common mechanic these days. In general, the only people that don't like it are casuals. I don't have a problem with casual players but if you aren't putting in the time and effort that hardcore players are, then why would you expect to accomplish the same things and get the nice gear that they are?

Having a specific group make up is pretty much a requirement for these types of encounters. That's typical of any serious MMO you are going to play.

edit: I do however see the point of needing some way to keep track of the dps. If you can't track it then it makes it annoyingly difficult to stay on target.

Excedrin
01.05.2012 , 02:19 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Phandy View Post
Erage timers have always been a silly raid mechanic. It is a lazy design and one that steralizes any diversity in how you can approach those encounters. These timers penalize people who chose to play their class in a manner other then the traditional norm.

As an aside, to have erage timers but not a combat log is beyond silly. You emphasize perfecting DPS but don't give us tools to do so efficiently.
I think the part I bolded is a good thing. If you want to do things that are hard and you're a DPS class it's vital that you should be doing the most damage you can. If you find that to be unpleasant, you could always try tanking or healing - it's tons of fun.

I agree that a lack of a combat log is a bad thing though, as well as no warning that enrage has occurred.
Alone is the default state of an MMO player, whether if be for minutes (or) months, and the game should embrace that. But making a massively single player game isnít the answer.

-Damion Schubert