Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sandbox is dead??

doughboyxx
01.05.2012 , 12:42 PM | #11
The sandbox type game like Galaxies pre NGE is dead. I've never played anything so rewarding or enjoyable as Galaxies pre NGE and I doubt i will in my gaming lifetime. The added element of the starwars jedi made the whole world so wonderful...but it's over. The companies that could make that kind of game wont touch them and the ones that are willing to try simply fall short. Fallen Earth is a great game, however I don't think of it in the same league as Galaxies was.

On the flip side though...I love the fact that I have a new Starwars MMO and i am really enjoying it. I think they did a good job on this one. I am very happy with this game and have accepted the fact that the experience I had with the early Galaxies game is dead and not comming back.

Pirate_Ron
01.05.2012 , 01:08 PM | #12
Sandbox isn't dead, there's just a few cat turds that need to be removed before people will want to play in them.

If I recall The Secret World by Funcom is going to be pretty sandboxish.

jarjarloves
01.05.2012 , 01:18 PM | #13
SWG is NOT DEAD!!!!

Go google SWG EMU. You can play it for free or even donate and help them bring it back to it's former glory

I hear people say "Oh it was the greatest game ever I wish it was still alive" Well put your money where your mouth is and help it.

Other wise shut up.

Sandbox is a niche market. Even the Single player Sandbox games like GTA Saints row and Arkhem City have more structured and more linear story elements to them then they have sandbox elements.

MMOs are also EXTRMELEY EXPENSIVE TO MAKE. So why put a ton of money into something if its a niche market and the changes of me making any money is slim to none.

chibeanz
01.18.2012 , 06:40 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
SWG is NOT DEAD!!!!

Go google SWG EMU. You can play it for free or even donate and help them bring it back to it's former glory

This guy's got it right. I'd love a SWG style sandbox game with an SWTOR appearance, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. SWTOR is a great game, but it's not a sandbox.

Looks like EVE will stay the sandbox king for awhile longer.