How does Legacy work?

DarthRavnos

I understand it gives you a last name, skills, and happens at the end of Act 1.

That is literally the only level of understanding I have about what this does. Can someone detail for me?

1. Is the last name for all your characters (empire and republic)?
  2. Are you allowed spaces in the last name? Such as, Ravnos the Destroyer. Making it look like a title.
  3. What skills does it provide you? Are they class based?
  4. When does Act 1 roughly complete?

Thanks all.

That is literally the only level of understanding I have about what this does. Can someone detail for me?

2. Are you allowed spaces in the last name? Such as, Ravnos the Destroyer. Making it look like a title.

Thanks all.

1. All your characters on that server, yes

2. I think so but I'm not sure. Keep in mind that there's two ways to display it, as a last name like Name Blank or as a title Name The Blank Legacy

3. There's nothing beyond a last name right now

4. After Alderaan.

Thanks all.

For now, the ONLY thing Legacy does is give you a last or 'legacy' name - there are currently no skills or perks attached to it, but they are coming soon. The name can be displayed one of 3 ways: As a last name, As a Legacy Name, or Not At All (examples below).

A) Lord Asmodeus Lakai

B) Lord Asmodeus

<The Lakai Legacy>

C) Lord Asmodeus

1. The name will be shared among ALL of your characters ON THAT SERVER - republic and empire, but server-specific.

2. I'm pretty sure you cannot put spaces in the name, but to be honest, people who do this make it look very cheesy - there are regular titles available, including Destroyer, that your character can earn - think of it like the people who try and include a title in their regular name - DarthGoose which becomes Darth DarthGoose (remember this is a ToS violation anyway as titles are not allowed in names).

3. As stated in my intro, currently no benefits or perks implemented.

4. Act I will end roughly around level 30-33 - for empire players it's after completion of your class storyline on Alderaan (dont know the republic equivalent).

Edited by Natarii

1. Is the last name for all your characters (empire and republic)? The Legacy name will apply to all characters on the server where it was unlocked, regardless of faction. It applies to any alts you may have already created, as well as any you'll create on that server in the future.
  2. Are you allowed spaces in the last name? Such as, Ravnos the Destroyer. Making it look like a title. As far as I know, the Legacy name follows the same rules as first names (hyphens and apostrophes, but no spaces or restricted names like Darth or Skywalker).
  3. What skills does it provide you? Are they class based? None of the Legacy perks are currently in-game, but you'll still be able to gain Legacy levels in preparation for them. So far, all we know is that there will be special abilities and character customization options.
  4. When does Act 1 roughly complete? It will usually complete around level 30-32. For me (Consular), it was after Alderaan and a story instance.

Thanks all.

That's all I know, hope it helps. :)

1. Dunno.

2. No.

3. No skills as of yet, Bioware hasn't added that stuff in (though It'll probably be here in a month or so).

4. level 30 optimally. (though if you skip side quests and bonus series you'll be more in the range of 27-28 when you finish, or if you do EVERYTHING you may be 31-33).

Edited by verzin

1. Dunno.

2. No.

3. No skills as of yet, Bioware hasn't added that stuff in (though It'll probably be here in a month or so).

4. level 30 optimally. (though if you skip side quests and bonus series you'll be more in the range of 27-28 when you finish, or if you do EVERYTHING you may be 31-33).

I've been doing all the quests (except the bonus series on Tatooine) and i'm level 35, still on Alderaan. It's kind of ridiculous at this point.

Thanks to all for the replies and to the OP for asking what I've been wondering about.

I still haven't chosen my Legacy name. I'm having trouble picking one that will fit all my alts, since I play a variety of races and try to roleplay completely different characters, not to mention both Republic and Empire.

Has anyone overcome this small dilemma and how did you go about choosing your Legacy name?

Thanks to all for the replies and to the OP for asking what I've been wondering about.

I still haven't chosen my Legacy name. I'm having trouble picking one that will fit all my alts, since I play a variety of races and try to roleplay completely different characters, not to mention both Republic and Empire.

Has anyone overcome this small dilemma and how did you go about choosing your Legacy name?

I have a set of names I've been using since EQ. They each have a story and a surname, which does not work well with the legacy system. I got around it by naming my legacy after the EQ server I played on, and using the legacy title option.

As a side note, I also play these characters pretty consistently as far as class goes from game to game, which went right out the door for Star Wars. My female character, traditionally a druid/cleric, is a dark side sniper. :eek:

Yes, I finally did :) I started to think about the whole surname thing as it's in real life. A lot of people who I don't even know has my surname for example.

I choose one which sounds good with the name of my alt as well. They are same race though.

I tried to put a space like in some french, german name, but wasn't allowed, so I used apostrophe instead and that was ok.

Edited by Niura

This forum is so much better than the General Forum...thank you all for demonstrating that are some nice people who enjoy Star Wars :)

Also answered my Legacy question!

I stopped reading the General Forum a long time ago. Nothing but Trolls and Naysayers over there. General Forum makes our whole community look bad - stay away, and dont feed the trolls!

A possiblity is that all your alts are part of some secret society that isn't faction related and who members don't know each other. My people don't know each other, but all secretly for an organization that promises them riches and power. They only have to live their lives normally while bearing the name of the society. As a result the society provides stuff for them to help them get more powerful. One of my people (the banker) is their only contact person.

I'm pretty much in the same boat you're in. I'm glad someone posted this as well.

A possiblity is that all your alts are part of some secret society that isn't faction related and who members don't know each other. My people don't know each other, but all secretly for an organization that promises them riches and power. They only have to live their lives normally while bearing the name of the society. As a result the society provides stuff for them to help them get more powerful. One of my people (the banker) is their only contact person.

I like this a lot. :D You never know with those banker alts. My current main for SWTOR was actually my randomly generated banker name from WoW. It just ended up working well for a sith juggernaut.

Like Bammur, I have a set of names I've been using across different games since the 90s (GS3, anyone?) so I finally chose as a Legacy name the last name of one of those characters, and just opted to simply not display it on certain alts. I'm so glad there is that option.

I like this a lot. :D You never know with those banker alts. My current main for SWTOR was actually my randomly generated banker name from WoW. It just ended up working well for a sith juggernaut.

Like Bammur, I have a set of names I've been using across different games since the 90s (GS3, anyone?) so I finally chose as a Legacy name the last name of one of those characters, and just opted to simply not display it on certain alts. I'm so glad there is that option.

GemStone III!!!! Now that's a blast from the past. We're all just a bunch of turnip farmers. Anyhoo, I'm only lvl 28 and not quite to Legacy yet. Just saw the GS3 thing..and uhh..had to respond.... :)

Thanks all.

1) It is indeed the last name for all of your characters, both Empire and Republic. There is an option in Preferences you can toggle to make it not show.

2) I don't know, I didn't do this myself. I'm sure the others are correct with their answers of "no."

3) BioWare will be implementing account perks at a later date - to my knowledge, you only get a last name at this point in time once you unlock it. You'll probably find this to be very useful: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/719852/swtor-legacy-system-guide-details-rewards-and-benefits-for-star-wars-the-old-republics-family-tree/

4) Mid-30s, give or take. Might depend on your class, whether you complete all quests on each world you visit, or just stay on par with your class quests.

Edited by Aerithel

GemStone III!!!! Now that's a blast from the past. We're all just a bunch of turnip farmers. Anyhoo, I'm only lvl 28 and not quite to Legacy yet. Just saw the GS3 thing..and uhh..had to respond.... :)

Wow...someone else actually played GS3! I'll never forget that copse of trees with the tree spirits. Scary place! Oh, and how valuable LK was -- the danger of losing all your stuff from death and corpse decay. Haha, good times! :D

Regarding Legacy, it's probably obvious but I'll say it anyway. For maximum/optimum Legacy experience accumulation, focus on one character and get them past Chapter 1 to get your Legacy name. This way, all experience gained from alt-hopping will contribute to your Legacy experience points.

For more information about the Legacy System,

Legacy levels unlock abilities and perks, they allow you to use bind on legacy items. It also allows you to customize your level of experience. We know that when a player has played a character from levels one to 50, and he's starting up a new character, so there's certain things where he wants his experience to be slightly different, he might want to optimize it so that he's doing more PvP than he was the last time, or maybe he wants to focus more on heroic quests. The legacy system will allow him to essentially optimize his gameplay experience, through things like experience point bonuses, other things like that.

This was taken from an interview with James Ohlen. For more news, check out ForceTremor.