Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

!Big Concern!: Ranged vs. Melee DPS in FPs & Ops

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
!Big Concern!: Ranged vs. Melee DPS in FPs & Ops

Sicknss
01.05.2012 , 09:02 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Mandrax View Post
This issue is in every MMO of it's type. The answer is, if you don't feel you are good enough to move out of the fire and such, then maybe you should play a class more suited to your abilities.

I know it sounds harsh, but it is in fact the truth.

Also, in terms of group make up for bosses and such, it's best to be able to have some flexibility in your raid groups.
I missed the part where the OP felt they weren't good enough to avoid things.
Flexibility is always a good thing, the problem comes when there's little to no downside when stacking ranged. I've always loved melee, always excelled and competed at the very top, but continually find myself with less reason to justify the frustration. MMO developers really need to get a grip on this.

mangarrage
01.05.2012 , 09:04 AM | #12
Congratz on making the same exact post that someone makes on every single gaming board in every single game

Did you expect this to be any different in this game?

Really?

Perlexia
01.05.2012 , 09:11 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by mangarrage View Post
Congratz on making the same exact post that someone makes on every single gaming board in every single game

Did you expect this to be any different in this game?

Really?
A troll accusing me of trolling, while I think I have made some good points. If only people would actually discuss the issue instead of posting worthless junk like this.

mangarrage
01.05.2012 , 09:14 AM | #14
Not really it is a troll who posts topics that can't be changed

You either have no ranged classes (which will never happen) or you nerf ranged classes completely (which again will never happen)

Every single game has this issue, EVERY game

At least this game has some gap closers and longer then melee range abilities for melee that other games do not

Perlexia
01.05.2012 , 09:17 AM | #15
Not really it is a troll who posts topics that can't be changed

You either have no ranged classes (which will never happen) or you nerf ranged classes completely (which again will never happen)

Every single game has this issue, EVERY game

At least this game has some gap closers and longer then melee range abilities for melee that other games do not
Just one example: Make the Boardings Party Final Boss Missile PBAoE spell have a minimum targeting range. Issue fixed. Mechanic intended still in palce: Ranged can not stack up.

Lexster
01.05.2012 , 09:17 AM | #16
Most other games compensate by making melee dps greater than ranged dps. Not with a system already in place trying to equate the two under perfect situations.

Paitum
01.05.2012 , 09:18 AM | #17
If they were to do it right, Melee should out-dps Ranged, but spend more time running around.

I have a 35-Marauder and a 30-Sniper.

stupidhero
01.05.2012 , 09:18 AM | #18

Scoundrels gap closer and ranged abilities come down to: Flurry of Bolts, which can hardly compete with ranged DPS ... (i.e. NO gap closer)

To add onto that, every boss has a 50 yard stealth aggro range, making stealth useless in all FPs/Ops.

TheHirogen
01.05.2012 , 09:19 AM | #19
I thought we solved this argument in WoW general forums 7 years ago...
Bioware quotes- "Twilight owns" "QUEL HORREUR" "JAMES JOYCE SUCKS" "DEAL WITH IT" "BUTTON AWESOME" "It was a bug" "expect increased fidelity" "Some people are just haters"

inseeisyou
01.05.2012 , 09:20 AM | #20
Jedi Shadow Infiltrators do have the ability to get an ability which reduces AOE damage by 30%, but I think your point is correct that in many cases the AOE damage is fairly massive and intended to be avoided totally. Too much of the AOE is centered on the enemy and I believe that is part of the problem. There should be more "ranged" AOE attacks, some of which in fact CAN NOT be cast directly next to the boss itself, to make things more even.